helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Evening! It's been a pretty busy week, sorry for the delay.
Lots to report back on and new challenges for us. Any new suggestions or thoughts are welcomed.
Our vet ran some blood tests and her protein levels are way low. He said she has protein loss disease.. her body isn't absorbing the protein from her food. She's lost 3-4 pounds... I could tell she had lost weight and the scale definitely shown it. She's still good as she was a bit chunky for her small stature so I think she will be good IF she would start eating good again. She still isnt though. She's had almost a cup and a half of food today (she's on prescription food for sensitive tummies for now..) and she should be eating double that once she's back to herself.
She is now on a daily probiotic and will remain so forever, which is great. She's also on an anti-diarrhea med and a steroid. Super thirsty, peeing lots, not eating much. Won't take her pills. I keep having to force them back in her mouth in a big smear of peanut butter or she spits them out. She won't take cheese anymore. She took pumpkin for me yesterday but wouldn't today. She's extremely stubborn! I also had to call back the day after appt bc she had gotten sick overnight and had some bad spray poo diarrhea on our living room floor..... if any of you have a sure fire way to get that stench out of our carpet, please share, bc it still smells and I've tried cleaning it a couple times now and am ready for a new approach. So gross. Back to her - They gave me anti nausea meds to get us through that and hopefully get her eating. Those are done and she actually managed to spit out her 2nd day dose today some time after I left this morning. I found them this afternoon on her chair. I kept an eye on her outside today to see how her poo situation is and it's still straight liquid.. the vet didn't notice any odd things while examining her but said next step, if she doesn't respond well to this, will be xrays to see if they notice anything wrong that way. I have a small bit of relief but her lack of eating and liquid poo still has me quite concerned.
This post is long.. my apologies! Thank you for the continued thoughts ☺

To break down protein you need to add acidic food. Probiotics is great! Add: Greek yogurt, berries, pineapple, apples, fish, collard greens, turkey....etc. Google acidic food and you'll get a whole list im sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Evening! It's been a pretty busy week, sorry for the delay.
Lots to report back on and new challenges for us. Any new suggestions or thoughts are welcomed.
Our vet ran some blood tests and her protein levels are way low. He said she has protein loss disease.. her body isn't absorbing the protein from her food. She's lost 3-4 pounds... I could tell she had lost weight and the scale definitely shown it. She's still good as she was a bit chunky for her small stature so I think she will be good IF she would start eating good again. She still isnt though. She's had almost a cup and a half of food today (she's on prescription food for sensitive tummies for now..) and she should be eating double that once she's back to herself.
She is now on a daily probiotic and will remain so forever, which is great. She's also on an anti-diarrhea med and a steroid. Super thirsty, peeing lots, not eating much. Won't take her pills. I keep having to force them back in her mouth in a big smear of peanut butter or she spits them out. She won't take cheese anymore. She took pumpkin for me yesterday but wouldn't today. She's extremely stubborn! I also had to call back the day after appt bc she had gotten sick overnight and had some bad spray poo diarrhea on our living room floor..... if any of you have a sure fire way to get that stench out of our carpet, please share, bc it still smells and I've tried cleaning it a couple times now and am ready for a new approach. So gross. Back to her - They gave me anti nausea meds to get us through that and hopefully get her eating. Those are done and she actually managed to spit out her 2nd day dose today some time after I left this morning. I found them this afternoon on her chair. I kept an eye on her outside today to see how her poo situation is and it's still straight liquid.. the vet didn't notice any odd things while examining her but said next step, if she doesn't respond well to this, will be xrays to see if they notice anything wrong that way. I have a small bit of relief but her lack of eating and liquid poo still has me quite concerned.
This post is long.. my apologies! Thank you for the continued thoughts ☺

For her pills try watermelon.... hides pills really well and the boys both just goggle it down. Plain vanilla ice cream just enough to cover the pills work great too.

I am leaning toward a blockage... if I would you I'd be pushing for an x-ray now not later

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.