ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
I'll try to keep this short. Our bulldog, Polkadot, has had diarrhea since late September. Before I took her in for her first visit regarding this, I tried a bland diet. That didn't help much and she started puking so I took her to the vet. She had only gotten sick 2-3 times. They gave use meds for nausea, and meds to help calm her tummy. No puking since. Diarrhea got better but didn't completely go away and we ran out of meds. She started going back to being runny so I called them and they gave us another round of meds for her tummy. Those are done and she's pretty messy again. They want to do xrays and bloodwork and we just don't have the money for it.. and I think my husband is assuming the worse, bc of her age (she's around 10 yrs).. she is his first dog and maybe doesn't see the point of taking her in and spending that much money to try to see what's going on. I have grown up with pets my whole life and I'm quite heartbroken watching her go through this. Could this be something horrible going on inside her? Cancer or something equally as bad? Should I try not giving her any food for a day and then a bland diet for a week or so? I'm at a loss bc I don't have money to take her in for bloodwork and that's really what I'd like to do. She is eating fine, drinking lots, pooing lots.. very messy. We have to clean her up after almost every time she goes out 🙁 any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.. they saw nothing wrong with her when I took her in at the beginning of October.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[h=2]@ggengo Sorry to hear Polkadot is having issues. i really do not have an answer...but I found the information below at Dog Diarrhea Long Term - Long Term Diarrhea in Dogs | petMD

Chronic Diarrhea in Dogs[/h]
Chronic diarrhea is a change in the frequency, consistency and volume of the dog's feces for more than three weeks. Starting in the small or large intestine, diarrhea can either be secretory (where it is very watery) or osmotic (not watery), and is due to various reasons, including diet, disease, or infection.

Chronic diarrhea can affect both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how this condition affects cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.

[h=3]Symptoms and Types[/h]
Symptoms found when it originates in the small intestine may include:

• [*=left]Weight loss
    [*=left]Vomiting
    [*=left]Abnormally large volume of feces
    [*=left]Frequency of defecation increases (2–4 times per day)
    [*=left]Gaseous sounds from the gut
    [*=left]Black, tarry stool
    [*=left]Very hearty appetite (due to poor digestion and absorption of food)

Symptoms found when it originates in the large intestine may include:

• [*=left]Abnormally smaller volume of feces
    [*=left]Frequency of defecation increases (more than 4 times per day)
    [*=left]Bright, red blood in the feces and mucus
    [*=left]Straining to defecate and urgency to defecate
    [*=left]Pain while defecating
    [*=left]Gaseous sounds from the gut

[h=3]Causes[/h]
Small intestinal abnormalities which can cause diarrhea include:

• [*=left]Small Intestinal Diseases

• [*=left]Inflammatory bowel disease
      [*=left]Lymphangiectasia (protein-losing disease)
      [*=left]Infections (e.g., viral and bacterial)
      [*=left]Parasites (e.g., Giardia)
      [*=left]Cancer
      [*=left]Partial blockage
      [*=left]Abnormally short small intestine
      [*=left]Stomach and/or intestinal ulcers

[*=left]Poor Digestion

• [*=left]Pancreatic Disease
      [*=left]Liver and/or gallbladder disease

[*=left]Dietary

• [*=left]Dietary intolerance or allergy
      [*=left]Gluten sensitivity (In Irish Setters)

• [*=left]Metabolic Disorders

• [*=left]Liver and/or gallbladder disease
      [*=left]Underactive adrenal glands
      [*=left]Urine waste in the blood
      [*=left]Toxins or drugs
      [*=left]Apudoma (A rare, hormone-secreting tumor)

Large intestinal abnormalities which can cause diarrhea include:

• [*=left]Large Intestinal Disease

• [*=left]Inflammatory bowel disease
      [*=left]Infections (e.g., Viral and bacterial)
      [*=left]Parasites (e.g., Giardia)
      [*=left]Cancer
      [*=left]Noninflammatory causes

[*=left]Dietary

• [*=left]Changes in diet
      [*=left]Low fiber in diet
      [*=left]Irritable bowel syndrome
      [*=left]Dietary indiscretion or ingestion of foreign material
[h=3][/h]
[h=3]Diagnosis[/h]
Your veterinarian will try to identify the origin of the diarrhea -- the small or large intestine -- by taking a complete history of your dog's health and onset of symptoms. Your doctor will then perform a thorough physical exam on the dog, or the doctor can perform an endoscopy and take biopsies from the intestines. Fecal samples, blood chemical profiles, urinalysis and electrolyte panels can help in the diagnosis, as well.

Depending on the underlying cause of the diarrhea, there are many other tests which can be performed. For example, if your veterinarian suspects pancreatic disease they will test for pancreatic function, while abdominal X-rays and ultrasounds can be used to find a foreign object in the intestines. Other exams can test for intestinal malabsorption, adrenal function, or for serum bile acids; these acids can be identified by taking blood samples.

[h=3]Treatment[/h]
Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. Your veterinarian will probably de-worm your dog just in case parasites are responsible for the disease. If your dog’s illness is due to dietary intolerance or allergies, your veterinarian will prescribe a low-fat, high digestible diet for three to four weeks and follow-up to see if its diarrhea has cleared up. If your dog is dehydrated, your veterinarian will give it fluid therapy. Surgery might be necessary if your dog has an intestinal tumor or blockage.

[h=3]Living and Management[/h]
If your dog does not respond to the treatment bring it back to the vet to be re-evaluated. Many of the parasitic and bacterial infections that cause diarrhea in dogs can also affect humans, so be very careful when handling a dog suffering from diarrhea.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'll try to keep this short. Our bulldog, Polkadot, has had diarrhea since late September. Before I took her in for her first visit regarding this, I tried a bland diet. That didn't help much and she started puking so I took her to the vet. She had only gotten sick 2-3 times. They gave use meds for nausea, and meds to help calm her tummy. No puking since. Diarrhea got better but didn't completely go away and we ran out of meds. She started going back to being runny so I called them and they gave us another round of meds for her tummy. Those are done and she's pretty messy again. They want to do xrays and bloodwork and we just don't have the money for it.. and I think my husband is assuming the worse, bc of her age (she's around 10 yrs).. she is his first dog and maybe doesn't see the point of taking her in and spending that much money to try to see what's going on. I have grown up with pets my whole life and I'm quite heartbroken watching her go through this. Could this be something horrible going on inside her? Cancer or something equally as bad? Should I try not giving her any food for a day and then a bland diet for a week or so? I'm at a loss bc I don't have money to take her in for bloodwork and that's really what I'd like to do. She is eating fine, drinking lots, pooing lots.. very messy. We have to clean her up after almost every time she goes out �� any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.. they saw nothing wrong with her when I took her in at the beginning of October.

What kind of food and treats is he on? Also do you give him cooked bones? Etc

OP
G

ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
What kind of food and treats is he on? Also do you give him cooked bones? Etc
We have her on Taste of the Wild Salmon.. she doesn't get treats much at all bc she gets peanut butter or cheese with her allergy meds every day (which is like a treat) and bc she's allergic to chicken, which is in so much stuff. No bones.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have you tried giving her pumpkin? It is fiber, and should help. That is the most natural thing to try first. You can give it to her with every meal. My dogs eat TOTW. Rumors have gone around about it, but I have never had a problem. Had my supplier look into it, and said it was an opposing company. @ggengo

Not pie mix-plain pumpkin

OP
G

ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
Just adding pumpkin to her food will help stop the diarrhea? Couldn't hurt, either way.. How much do you add? And I haven't heard anything about TOTW.. are ppl saying it's causing diarrhea? It seems like a really good dog food.. she's been on it for awhile now so seems like she'd have flare up from the get go with it, if it is the food. Right?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The pumpkin has lots of fiber. I would give a tablespoon in/on top of her food to begin with. Then you could give 2 tbsp. Most dogs love it. You could also give her a famitodine tab. 10 mg. (generic pepcid) before her meal(the generic store brand). This is worth a try. I hope it helps her. As far as TOTW,supposedly had a few recalls, but as I said-no probs. for me. Mine eat the Pacific Salmon. @ggengo

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
It could be the food, i would stop the food and feed a bland diet for about 4 or 5 days, if she doesn't improve on the bland diet or symptoms go worse then obviously you need to take her to the vets. I had a similar issue last year mine had been fine on what i was feeding and then one night out of the blue he started with diarrhea. I had him on a bland diet for a few days and every time i reintroduced the food the diarrhea would start again. I ended up having to do a food change.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have her on Taste of the Wild Salmon.. she doesn't get treats much at all bc she gets peanut butter or cheese with her allergy meds every day (which is like a treat) and bc she's allergic to chicken, which is in so much stuff. No bones.

I would stop the peanut butter n just stick to cheese. PB and diarrhea not a good mix. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] mentioned pumpkin helps a lot.

OP
G

ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I'm have pulled her food bowl for the night and morning and am going to start a bland diet tomorrow for a handful of days. And start her back on her food and add pumpkin to it. The thing with that though is she doesn't eat it when given.. she randomly comes out and ways some bit not all at once. So the pumpkin will sit on it.. can that go foul if not eaten after being served?? Or maybe she'll gobble it up of I just put a glob on the top of her food 🤔
I pray this does the trick this time.. she's been very, very messy today. I feel horrible for her.
Thanks again!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Could be IBD...ulcerative colitis...
Go back to your Vet and ask them to investigate or consider IBD/S.
We've had major improvement with dosing Sulfasalazine. You could try a short trial and see what comes of it. This drug treats the symptom but it can be used long term. Tylan powder is also worthy of a trial...and may be your most cost effective route...if it manages your issue.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
she's been very, very messy today. I feel horrible for her.
If she's eating and happy she's doing well enough for you to not feel horrible for her. Keep cleaning her as necessary and keep doing what you can to see that she's a happy bulldog. Your concern for her is very evident. Thank you for coming here and asking for help, it shows how much you care. Please keep us posted on her well-being.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I agree, try the bland diet and then if better switch to a limited ingredient dehydrated raw grain free ( not chicken ) product like honest kitchen, spot farm or only natural easy raw.

If that's not helping try the tylosin powder which is an antibiotic given for long periods of time for chronic diarrhea.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome .... the gnag sure has you covered! Follow their suggestions and you should be able to get it under control

OP
G

ggengo

Nov 8, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Polkadot
Well. She's been on hamburger & rice for 2 days and I thinj her poo has gotten worse ☹ it literally comes spraying out her back end. I was using brown rice and just switched to white rice for her evening feeding last night after reading I should only use white rice. It's hard to tell goes she's feeling bc she is always so lazy. She was on my feet constantly yesterday though! Will the white rice make that big of a difference?? I think her poo should be improving even if I was not using the right rice.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.