lgajohnymac

Oct 1, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Summer
Last week I lost Summer. She was 16ish, had several chronic issues, including dementia and vestibular disease. I had been evaluating her quality of life monthly for about a year. I often wondered if I would be able to make a rational decision. Tuesday the 17th of Oct. forced my decision.

After breakfast as I prepared for work Summer was doing her normal thing after eating and drinking. Pacing a bit after her morning walk. She had an accident inside, and then continued to get herself stuck in places she does not normally get into. After a couple outside trips with no results I continued to get ready.

It was normal for her belly to be a little swollen for a bit after morning breakfast and tanking up on water. But as I neared ready for leaving, she continued to pace. We went outside and I noted her belly was becoming quite swollen. We walked for 20 minutes in the small yard and nothing was happening. I feared she may have eaten a mushroom stem as there were two caps and one stem on the ground not far from where she eats.

After giving her some peroxide to enduce vomiting she would not vomit. A second shot of H2O2 didn't enduce vomiting either. It had been about an hour now outside.

To the veterinary office I took her. Xrays comfirmed a twisted stomach, with additional swelling restricting blood flow and pooling of fluids in her abdominal cavity. Her gums were grey, she was howling in pain. Option was to get to vet school for further pre-op procedures to determine if the condition was operable, then surgery if possible.

I chose not to go that path in her advanced age, with her best prognosis to return to the same quality of life after rehab. She had a strong heart and lungs as reported by the vet at her appointment just days before. I was torn. I decided to say goodbye and end her pain.

I had heard about bloat. I did not know how serious it can be and how quickly it can take a dogs life. For several reasons I did not notice early warnings that morning. Not that it would have changed her outcome. She often got lost in the house and had accidents. Her belly was typically larger after a meal and water, as she had grown far too messy to eat inside when there was nice weather outside.

I write today to help myself heal, and to remind you all that this condition can appear out of nowhere. Even in a dog that has eaten the same way and same manner for 15+ years. My only change recently was to give her water with her meals, instead of access all the time to reduce accidents inside usually in her bedding. Watering outside also relieved the amount of water spilled in the floor, leading to other problems with slips.

So my intention is not to alarm anyone. Just beware of this possibility. Read up about bloat. Know what to do if you suspect bloat. 20171018_022703.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I am so sorry for your lost. Summer lived to 16ish and just that is amazing! Dont beat yourself. Very hard to know what's wrong with our babies when there is no symptoms to rely on. Thank you for share the awareness. :angelheart:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sorry for your loss of Summer. You truly were blessed to have so many years with her,and to have been so patient in the last year of her life. To live to age 16+ for a Bullie is a testament to the love and care she was given throughout her life. Remember all the happy times,and know that this was just something that happens and very few make it through-no matter the age. She will be watching over you :angelheart: and you will see her again someday-it would not be heaven without our animals. [MENTION=14879]lgajohnymac[/MENTION]

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Last week I lost Summer. She was 16ish, had several chronic issues, including dementia and vestibular disease. I had been evaluating her quality of life monthly for about a year. I often wondered if I would be able to make a rational decision. Tuesday the 17th of Oct. forced my decision.

After breakfast as I prepared for work Summer was doing her normal thing after eating and drinking. Pacing a bit after her morning walk. She had an accident inside, and then continued to get herself stuck in places she does not normally get into. After a couple outside trips with no results I continued to get ready.

It was normal for her belly to be a little swollen for a bit after morning breakfast and tanking up on water. But as I neared ready for leaving, she continued to pace. We went outside and I noted her belly was becoming quite swollen. We walked for 20 minutes in the small yard and nothing was happening. I feared she may have eaten a mushroom stem as there were two caps and one stem on the ground not far from where she eats.

After giving her some peroxide to enduce vomiting she would not vomit. A second shot of H2O2 didn't enduce vomiting either. It had been about an hour now outside.

To the veterinary office I took her. Xrays comfirmed a twisted stomach, with additional swelling restricting blood flow and pooling of fluids in her abdominal cavity. Her gums were grey, she was howling in pain. Option was to get to vet school for further pre-op procedures to determine if the condition was operable, then surgery if possible.

I chose not to go that path in her advanced age, with her best prognosis to return to the same quality of life after rehab. She had a strong heart and lungs as reported by the vet at her appointment just days before. I was torn. I decided to say goodbye and end her pain.

I had heard about bloat. I did not know how serious it can be and how quickly it can take a dogs life. For several reasons I did not notice early warnings that morning. Not that it would have changed her outcome. She often got lost in the house and had accidents. Her belly was typically larger after a meal and water, as she had grown far too messy to eat inside when there was nice weather outside.

I write today to help myself heal, and to remind you all that this condition can appear out of nowhere. Even in a dog that has eaten the same way and same manner for 15+ years. My only change recently was to give her water with her meals, instead of access all the time to reduce accidents inside usually in her bedding. Watering outside also relieved the amount of water spilled in the floor, leading to other problems with slips.

So my intention is not to alarm anyone. Just beware of this possibility. Read up about bloat. Know what to do if you suspect bloat.View attachment 108749

I recently lost one year old Daphne due to congenital kidney disease. She had no symptoms until the end. I understand your pain and am so very sorry for your lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
im so sorry for your loss. No matter what the age, it's still so deeply hard. And Thank you for using your experience to help others (and me) here,. Bless you heart for taking such good care of that girl and giving her the life and passing so kindly.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO very sorry for your loss... I have lost several bullies and I understand how heartbreaking that is for you and the family. Thank you for sharing your story w/us...

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so sorry for your loss. What a grand age though, a testament to your good care so please take comfort in that.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So sorry for your loss! But you gave her the best life, full of love, very long! She couldn’t have better life!

Sir Bentley

Jan 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bentley
I am so sorry for your loss of Summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sweet girl... 16 years is amazing! So very sorry fro your sudden loss... hugs and prayers to you .

Rest in peace Sweet Summer.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.