Throat noise from Nyala

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Going to try explaining the noise coming out from her throat...bare with me...
Been over a week and from what im noticing it can be the cold outside but not 100% sure yet. Noise is like a clearing the throat but loud n non-stop. NO mucus, tearing eyes, nose or cough whatsoever. It's in the throat only and it's a dry/hacking clearing throat sound. Last maybe 2 second each noise. She will stop if I say...Ok ok Nyala, you're ok n rub her throat for 2-3 second. She might do this maybe like 3x a day ish. She's not sick, eats well n plays. Like nothing has changed in that department. Just don't know why she's doing that. Hope my explanation made sense. Thanks!!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Cant say it sounds familiar but..... might be good to catch a short video of it to share?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cant say it sounds familiar but..... might be good to catch a short video of it to share?

Video....geez I guarantee you I'll screw that one up lolll. Also it's not consistent. I would have to have my cell in my pocket all the time. Im that person that has like example...this new cell Samsung S8 something or navigation in the truck that does everything and tell/talk to you for everything and I mean eeeeeeverything. I dont even use 1/4 of this technology. Just not into it. But if I do have my cell and she does that loud noise, I'll tape her.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I laugh because i am very Limited compared to the skills my phone has . It just did some new upgrade and I’m lost again. Dang iphone!! . Anyway, I’m sure I would be of no help even if I saw a video but if you catch it somebody else. Possibly would so carry that phone and he prepared Ha. I actually sent a video to my vet of the way Hank was walking when he hurt his leg as I knew once I got there, the adrenaline would make him walk different. I just thought of something though, sometimes Hank will do a loud kaa sound.. starting with Almost the beginning look of a puke but then that sound comes out and throws spit from lowdown it looks. And then he’s done. Is it anything like that?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor thing, sounds irritating for her. Could it be a hook worm?

Hookworms: Symptoms of*Hookworms in Dogs. A*dog*with the parasite looks unhealthy and has a poor appetite; the linings of its nostrils, lips, and ears will be pale. If*hookworm*larvae get into the lungs, the*dog*will cough, as well as present several other symptoms, including dark and tarry stool, diarrhea, and constipation.

Nyala has none of these symptoms.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Possible sore throat? She could also have swallowed something that scratched her throat....I had a dog that had tonsilitis,but would expect more symptoms. How about giving some honey to soothe her throat?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hookworms: Symptoms of*Hookworms in Dogs. A*dog*with the parasite looks unhealthy and has a poor appetite; the linings of its nostrils, lips, and ears will be pale. If*hookworm*larvae get into the lungs, the*dog*will cough, as well as present several other symptoms, including dark and tarry stool, diarrhea, and constipation.

Nyala has none of these symptoms.

Understood, sorry........I really didn't know of symptoms other than I remember hearing some time that they can "hook" onto inside of throat. My bad

EDITED TO SAY: I was remembering WRONG it was heartworm, not hookworm

"Stage 1

During the first stage of heartworm disease, dogs generally will not have any symptoms at all, although you may notice a slight cough. This is a very mild stage, and dogs will appear happy and healthy. Even with a physical, this disease is difficult to detect, and blood tests may come back with a negative result for heartworm disease."

There is a video on you tube that you can watch to hear what the cough sounds like. Jeez sorry for confusion......

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Understood, sorry........I really didn't know of symptoms other than I remember hearing some time that they can "hook" onto inside of throat. My bad

EDITED TO SAY: I was remembering WRONG it was heartworm, not hookworm

"Stage 1

During the first stage of heartworm disease, dogs generally will not have any symptoms at all, although you may notice a slight cough. This is a very mild stage, and dogs will appear happy and healthy. Even with a physical, this disease is difficult to detect, and blood tests may come back with a negative result for heartworm disease."

There is a video on you tube that you can watch to hear what the cough sounds like. Jeez sorry for confusion......
Will check it out. Dont worry these worms are all confusing. I get it wrong myself. Too many of them. Cheers dear

Hmmm wait she did get advantage multi 100 which covers heartworm. She's seeing the vet today at 1:30. Not risking my baby girl 's health.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie was making some weird noise yesterday that lasted a few seconds. Not sure if it was his throat or something else but it was kind of like a clearing sound. Hmmmm....let me know what your vet says. So far it only happened that one time, at least to my knowledge.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So....went to the vet. Vet checked her windpipe nothing wrong there all nice n smooth, checked with a light down the throat nothing and all clear. She said can be a very light kennel cough but since Nyala doesn't hack on regular basis is hard to determine. Then all of a sudden....BAMM Nyala does the noise.... ITS A SNOT! YES A SNOT stuck in the back of the soft palette. :facepalm2: Geez and im there making sure in case it has to do with bulldog soft palette or any air passage areas. No but a SNOT !!! When she does that noise need to stretch her head upwards to let da snot go down. So while Ms Snotty was there she had a full checkup. She weighs 46lbs, all nose, pipe issues bullies can have, Ms Snotty has a clean slate. Also vet said Nyala's nose is a tad longer than EB since she's a Bantam bulldog she doubt she'll get issues. Ms Snotty is in perfect health. Vet said never worry about heartworms in Canada especially in Alberta cause you need 60 degrees continuous which we dont have cause of our winters. She did mentioned you will find heartworms in British Columbia and Ontario as it's warmer than other provinces but it's not a big issue in Canada. Not to give any dewormer as it's too cold now. Mosquitoes, fleas and other bugs are frozen by now. Mind you I gave it only 2x in her 2yrs as I use essential oils for fleas n ticks. Guess my oils works! Duke had dead worms in his stool once, why I gave Nyala some just in case. Now for Duke.....he weighs 36lbs, his 3rd gland that pops out now n than, said to wait as pups often as they get older the gland gets stronger and stays inside. Right now it's inside. He's also doing great aside from being a pain in the *** . The day he's not a pain that means something is up lol...

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
So....went to the vet. Vet checked her windpipe nothing wrong there all nice n smooth, checked with a light down the throat nothing and all clear. She said can be a very light kennel cough but since Nyala doesn't hack on regular basis is hard to determine. Then all of a sudden....BAMM Nyala does the noise.... ITS A SNOT! YES A SNOT stuck in the back of the soft palette. :facepalm2: Geez and im there making sure in case it has to do with bulldog soft palette or any air passage areas. No but a SNOT !!! When she does that noise need to stretch her head upwards to let da snot go down. So while Ms Snotty was there she had a full checkup. She weighs 46lbs, all nose, pipe issues bullies can have, Ms Snotty has a clean slate. Also vet said Nyala's nose is a tad longer than EB since she's a Bantam bulldog she doubt she'll get issues. Ms Snotty is in perfect health. Vet said never worry about heartworms in Canada especially in Alberta cause you need 60 degrees continuous which we dont have cause of our winters. She did mentioned you will find heartworms in British Columbia and Ontario as it's warmer than other provinces but it's not a big issue in Canada. Not to give any dewormer as it's too cold now. Mosquitoes, fleas and other bugs are frozen by now. Mind you I gave it only 2x in her 2yrs as I use essential oils for fleas n ticks. Guess my oils works! Duke had dead worms in his stool once, why I gave Nyala some just in case. Now for Duke.....he weighs 36lbs, his 3rd gland that pops out now n than, said to wait as pups often as they get older the gland gets stronger and stays inside. Right now it's inside. He's also doing great aside from being a pain in the *** . The day he's not a pain that means something is up lol...

:whew: - Glad the kiddos are alright!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
all good to hear! and yes,, i 'think' that same sound is what Hank occasionally does,, or at least similar. But he does spew some fluid when he does it. anyway,,, good to hear.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
all good to hear! and yes,, i 'think' that same sound is what Hank occasionally does,, or at least similar. But he does spew some fluid when he does it. anyway,,, good to hear.

She did say they can spit it out which is probably whar Hanks doing.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.