The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Ms. Harlea had her annual vet visit for her shots and general health check up again. Lo and behold she has staph infections in both ears. At least it isn't MRSA this time around so hopefully we don't have to do the lovely 7 month battle we did last time to clear thing sup.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Wishing for a speedy recovery. It seems to be that time of year. Bentley has a full blown case of yeast. Jewel's serum Alk-phos is up to indicate something going on in the liver. We have follow-ups in 3 weeks.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Poor Harlea...I hope it clears up pronto.
This sounds like something that you’ll have to monitor daily in order to catch, treat it quickly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh no!! It has to be fall season... even on cytopoint shots and Benedryl, Lambeau's ears are a mess-- daily black junk out of his ears. No infection but very dirty.

Sending lots of positive vibes Ms. Harlea clears up quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ms. Harlea had her annual vet visit for her shots and general health check up again. Lo and behold she has staph infections in both ears. At least it isn't MRSA this time around so hopefully we don't have to do the lovely 7 month battle we did last time to clear thing sup.

Sorry to hear about that. What products are you using in ear? My dog has been scratching one of her ears a lot too. Doesn't seem to be infected though, but I keep it clean with a mixture of 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops clove oil in 2 oz witch hazel, that I put on a round cosmetic pad. If she's particularly bad I spray the whole ear with betadine spray. I'm thinking of trying some more natural products like manuka honey and colloidal silver on the cosmetic pad as well, but haven't done so yet. I used to use Zymox otic and liked it, but it was really expensive so I stopped ordering it. It's all related to allergies of course, and I've been trying to get her on the perfect food that lessens allergies the most. I also use antihistamines, sometimes even 2 , combining chlorpheniramine and cetirizine.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Wishing for a speedy recovery. It seems to be that time of year. Bentley has a full blown case of yeast. Jewel's serum Alk-phos is up to indicate something going on in the liver. We have follow-ups in 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear about the yeast and alkaline phosphatase. Usually alkaline phosphatase involves either gall bladder or biliary tree, not the liver. Try to keep fat consumption down if you can.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry... Walter's ears/eyes are a mess as well and Willow looks as clean as a whistle. Both are fed the exact same things, so it must be an environmental issue. It's SO frustrating, I know...

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sorry to hear about that. What products are you using in ear? My dog has been scratching one of her ears a lot too. Doesn't seem to be infected though, but I keep it clean with a mixture of 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops clove oil in 2 oz witch hazel, that I put on a round cosmetic pad. If she's particularly bad I spray the whole ear with betadine spray. I'm thinking of trying some more natural products like manuka honey and colloidal silver on the cosmetic pad as well, but haven't done so yet. I used to use Zymox otic and liked it, but it was really expensive so I stopped ordering it. It's all related to allergies of course, and I've been trying to get her on the perfect food that lessens allergies the most. I also use antihistamines, sometimes even 2 , combining chlorpheniramine and cetirizine.
Witch Hazel or a 4% Chlorohexidine solution is what we use. First time she has ever had an ear infection and didn't show any signs that they were bothering her and weren't swollen, red or anything.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Sorry to hear about the yeast and alkaline phosphatase. Usually alkaline phosphatase involves either gall bladder or biliary tree, not the liver. Try to keep fat consumption down if you can.

Yep...on a low fat diet. Jewel had a bad case of pancreatitis 3 years ago.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] Sending prayer and good vibes,hoping that sweet Harlea's ears will be okay real soon. The sooner the better!! :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.