Help Needed! Horrible Food Allergies

Nexus520

Oct 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus
Hi, my soon to be 7yr old bulldog is allergic to all foods. We have tried almost everything, grain free, expensive vet food, you name it. He looks uncomfortable and is always licking, rolling around or scratching... does anyone have any ideas or recommendations. I hate seeing this happy little guy miserable. I'm sure we don't even see half of what he feels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi, my soon to be 7yr old bulldog is allergic to all foods. We have tried almost everything, grain free, expensive vet food, you name it. He looks uncomfortable and is always licking, rolling around or scratching... does anyone have any ideas or recommendations. I hate seeing this happy little guy miserable. I'm sure we don't even see half of what he feels

Hello and welcome!!!!! Did you get a blood test done and how do you know it's the food? If it's regarding the food side only and you've tried all, why dont you go raw. Frozen of course. Rufus, I presume that's his name, needs probiotics immediately. Go to your health food store buy the sauerkraut in the fridge section only as it's fermented or goats milk. Or Kefir. If it's only kibbles you want to feed him go with one protein per bag so you can eliminate what protein he cant tolerate. You will basically have to start over see what triggers the allergies. But raw or dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen or spot farms will help enormously with allergies.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I agree with all above. I think it's preferable to give doggie probiotics like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC. Next best would be kefir, sauerkraut from fridge section of health food store, or green tripe. Least desirable would be fat free probiotic Greek yoghurt like the Kirkland one from Costco.

My dog was constantly licking her paws all day until I got her on a grain free dehydrated raw food. She still licks her paws, and scratches her ears, but not nearly as much. She's on Only Natural EasyRaw turkey dog food from Petsmart, but I plan to rotate her onto other brands of raw like frozen patties, and other brands of dehydrated raw.

I would also add raw virgin coconut oil and ground turmeric, both of which are anti inflammatory, to dog food once daily. Turmeric isn't absorbed very well, so I add it at same time to dog food as I add an arthritis supplement, Acti-Flex 4000, since it contains bioperine to improve absorption. But you could just add some fresh grinds of black pepper instead for the absorption of turmeric.

If ears have waxy buildup I would keep those clean to prevent ear infections. I use 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of oil of cloves in 60 ml witch hazel, and put it on a round cosmetic pad and wipe out, but a lot of members spray in a mixture of 50% witch hazel and 50% apple cider vinegar and wipe out.

I would keep wrinkles really clean too. Are they red right now?

OP
N

Nexus520

Oct 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus
I agree with all above. I think it's preferable to give doggie probiotics like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC. Next best would be kefir, sauerkraut from fridge section of health food store, or green tripe. Least desirable would be fat free probiotic Greek yoghurt like the Kirkland one from Costco.

My dog was constantly licking her paws all day until I got her on a grain free dehydrated raw food. She still licks her paws, and scratches her ears, but not nearly as much. She's on Only Natural EasyRaw turkey dog food from Petsmart, but I plan to rotate her onto other brands of raw like frozen patties, and other brands of dehydrated raw.

I would also add raw virgin coconut oil and ground turmeric, both of which are anti inflammatory, to dog food once daily. Turmeric isn't absorbed very well, so I add it at same time to dog food as I add an arthritis supplement, Acti-Flex 4000, since it contains bioperine to improve absorption. But you could just add some fresh grinds of black pepper instead for the absorption of turmeric.

If ears have waxy buildup I would keep those clean to prevent ear infections. I use 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of oil of cloves in 60 ml witch hazel, and put it on a round cosmetic pad and wipe out, but a lot of members spray in a mixture of 50% witch hazel and 50% apple cider vinegar and wipe out.

I would keep wrinkles really clean too. Are they red right now?

Thank you so much both of you !! We had the test done and know for a fact he's allergic to grain but haven't gone back for further testing more recently. He doesn't have to many wrinkles but we clean them everyday. His ears get real bad as well which we clean out daily. We noticed it gets better when the food changes somewhat. I will definitely give these a try. We have lucked out and can't kept his weight normal, we do not feed him human food and nothing extra so his weight is great, so far no hip problems.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank you so much both of you !! We had the test done and know for a fact he's allergic to grain but haven't gone back for further testing more recently. He doesn't have to many wrinkles but we clean them everyday. His ears get real bad as well which we clean out daily. We noticed it gets better when the food changes somewhat. I will definitely give these a try. We have lucked out and can't kept his weight normal, we do not feed him human food and nothing extra so his weight is great, so far no hip problems.

Oh, and I forgot it's good to give a can of sardines packed in water once a week. I spread that over a couple of days.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi Nexus, i totally understand how bad it feels when your bully seems to react to everything. Our Dudley has had yeast infections in one or both ears, skin hives and small scabs and very dirty nose fold and tear stains, on and off for the past couple of years! His ear was the worst and occasionally would be bad enough to keep him awake rubbing and shaking his head! we tried all the creams and different grain free foods, filtered water but nothing worked completely (now the good news:)) We have just recently had him allergy tested for everything, not just grain and it turns out he's allergic to Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Duck, White fish, Dairy and Grass! The grain free kibble he has had in the past have all had at least one of these meats in them! so did his treats (we were even making it worse by treating him with a small bit of cheese after he lets us clean his nose and ear!)He has been on Pork and Squash kibble for 2 weeks and had only Beef and Venison treats and EVERYTHING has practically gone!
If you can i would highly recommend a full allergy test.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi Nexus, i totally understand how bad it feels when your bully seems to react to everything. Our Dudley has had yeast infections in one or both ears, skin hives and small scabs and very dirty nose fold and tear stains, on and off for the past couple of years! His ear was the worst and occasionally would be bad enough to keep him awake rubbing and shaking his head! we tried all the creams and different grain free foods, filtered water but nothing worked completely (now the good news:)) We have just recently had him allergy tested for everything, not just grain and it turns out he's allergic to Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Duck, White fish, Dairy and Grass! The grain free kibble he has had in the past have all had at least one of these meats in them! so did his treats (we were even making it worse by treating him with a small bit of cheese after he lets us clean his nose and ear!)He has been on Pork and Squash kibble for 2 weeks and had only Beef and Venison treats and EVERYTHING has practically gone!

I post this often so others can do this. Ive been doing this mixture for a year cause of Nyala's tail pocket. I just add a few drops of tea tree to the mix. It was amputation or the mix. Well her tail is cleaned every couple days n NO problem! Keeps both pup's ears clean. This mix is not just for ears. Great for any rash or infections. This is what one of our member said....

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears.In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender15 drops Geranium15 drops Frankincense15 drops Basil10 drops ArborvitaeFractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.
[MENTION=17684]Nexus520[/MENTION]
Other recipes that WORKS!!! Click the link.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Blood tests aren't considered to be very accurate for diagnosing allergies. Elimination diet is the best way for food allergies and skin testing for environmental allergies. I'm glad in your case it worked out well.

OP
N

Nexus520

Oct 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus

Wow !!! Poor lil guy !! I'm so glad you were able to pinpoint it. Thank you !!!! I will definitely look into getting him tested further. And to make matters worse I'm a horrible mother, I took him to a new park and I've never seen poison ivy so of course I didn't know and let him pee on it.... so now his entire underbelly has poison ivy which thankfully we've been treating and is getting better.... but it doesn't even phase him probably because he's so itchy and scratchy all over anyway

OP
N

Nexus520

Oct 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus
Thank you soo much everyone !! I will look into all of these ! I greatly appreciate your help with my baby bones. He's is the best little guy in the whole world and he shouldn't be miserable ever. I will definitely let you know the results

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you soo much everyone !! I will look into all of these ! I greatly appreciate your help with my baby bones. He's is the best little guy in the whole world and he shouldn't be miserable ever. I will definitely let you know the results

Arent they just the best! sweet dear creatures we have been blessed to live with ;) It'll be so good to hear when all is well with your guy..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Please keep us posted and share some pictures of you boy

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.