rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well in a recent thread, I posted that Bentley and Jewel were pretty much in good health. I guess I spoke too soon. Bentley has come down with the worst case of yeasty paws that he is constantly licking the skin off of his paws. So bad that he woke me up while he was gnawing and licking his paws last night. Jewel is still OK and we are keeping her in-check.

Diet wise, he receives Fromm's grain free food (currently Hagenpuffinpupper or whatever). I am switching him back to the Pork and Peas. They both receive a Vetri-Science probiotic chew twice a day and 1-2 Tbs of fat-free Greek Yogurt in the evening.

We recently tried using Selsin Blue on his paws and even most recently using RaRhetts pickled paw juice (1 cup ACV, 1cup H2O2, and 2 cups water). Nothing seems to work. We wipe his feet off after coming in from outside especially if there is morning dew. We also have him on Benadryl 50 mg 2-3 times daily. Bedding is washed etc.

I do not know if the issue is intrinsic or extrinsic.

Comments?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would try a dehydrated raw food with a different protein such as Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms or Only Natural EasyRaw, with a gradual switch over over a week. My dog licks her paws a lot less since I switched her over to EasyRaw from Petsmart. Also try soaking the paws in a dilute solution of Betadine for 5 minutes a day for a couple of weeks. You can also use a ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo like Ketohex or Curaseb to wash the paws daily ( make sure you rinse it off after about 10 minutes ) for a week or two.

Also start him on an antihistamine like cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound once daily

Better probiotics than yoghurt would include doggie probiotics like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, or kefir or sauerkraut from refrigerator section of supermarket or green tripe

If none of this helps after a few months you might want to get him tested for environmental allergies ( skin testing is best ). If he has a lot of environmetal allergies the vet can inject a biologic called Cytopoint. Or you could try immunotherapy with Respit sublingual drops, but that takes months to start working, and also requires a vet Rx.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I would try a dehydrated raw food with a different protein such as Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms or Only Natural EasyRaw, with a gradual switch over over a week. My dog licks her paws a lot less since I switched her over to EasyRaw from Petsmart. Also try soaking the paws in a dilute solution of Betadine for 5 minutes a day for a couple of weeks. You can also use a ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo like Ketohex or Curaseb to wash the paws daily ( make sure you rinse it off after about 10 minutes ) for a week or two.

Also start him on an antihistamine like cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound once daily

Better probiotics than yoghurt would include doggie probiotics like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, or kefir or sauerkraut from refrigerator section of supermarket or green tripe

If none of this helps after a few months you might want to get him tested for environmental allergies ( skin testing is best ). If he has a lot of environmetal allergies the vet can inject a biologic called Cytopoint. Or you could try immunotherapy with Respit sublingual drops, but that takes months to start working, and also requires a vet Rx.

Thanks. We have a vet appointment on Saturday.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks. We have a vet appointment on Saturday.

Agree with kefir or sauerkraut from refrigerator section of supermarket or green tripe.... Rogers, anything that says "fat free" it has hidden sugars n additives even chemicals. Always stay away from anything that says low fat, fat free or no added sugars. That's a big no no and can cause the paw licking problem! Yeast feeds on sugars n carbs.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agree with kefir or sauerkraut from refrigerator section of supermarket or green tripe.... Rogers, anything that says "fat free" it has hidden sugars n additives even chemicals. Always stay away from anything that says low fat, fat free or no added sugars. That's a big no no and can cause the paw licking problem! Yeast feeds on sugars n carbs.

Thanks.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Whenever Jax’s paws get yeasty I do the diluted iodine soak once a day until gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Helene... Replace the yogurt with raw goats milk or sauerkraut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop has had recurring yeast infections for almost 2 years now. Constant paw licking, chewing, dragging his nose on the edge of the couch. His paw pads were bright pink. He was miserable. He took meds, anti-fungals and antibiotics, for awhile but that didn't totally work. Then I tried GNC Anti-Fungal shampoo, bathing him 1-2x week, at first. His nose was treated with those medicated wipes (meta...something). After just a couple of baths, the licking and paw chewing stopped. I ran out of the shampoo and within a couple of weeks, he was back to licking and chewing again. Fortunately, Pork loves baths. The shampoo is mild enough that once a week doesn't cause his skin to dry out. It costs about $17/bottle and well-worth it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Porkchop has had recurring yeast infections for almost 2 years now. Constant paw licking, chewing, dragging his nose on the edge of the couch. His paw pads were bright pink. He was miserable. He took meds, anti-fungals and antibiotics, for awhile but that didn't totally work. Then I tried GNC Anti-Fungal shampoo, bathing him 1-2x week, at first. His nose was treated with those medicated wipes (meta...something). After just a couple of baths, the licking and paw chewing stopped. I ran out of the shampoo and within a couple of weeks, he was back to licking and chewing again. Fortunately, Pork loves baths. The shampoo is mild enough that once a week doesn't cause his skin to dry out. It costs about $17/bottle and well-worth it.

Glad to hear the shampoo is working for Porkchop. You should consider switching him to a grain free potato free dog food, preferably raw, and giving him probiotics, and maybe you wouldn't have to keep washing him that often. It's possible you still would if he has environmental allergies.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Pork is on grain-free food and probiotics. It does seem like he's become sensitive to grass. For the last two years, he avoids walking on grass. I figure he knows something. I also try to wipe his feet when he goes outside.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online