banesa

Oct 11, 2017
USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tigger
My Bulldog hasn't been himself lately, spending all day in bed or hiding under my bed. Yesterday he started crying and rubbing his eye. I noticed swelling on his eye to the point that it's closed he's had allergies before so I'm planning a visit to the vet today for meds but how can i find out whats causing this.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Is it just his eyes that bother him? Have you tried Benadryl? Is it possible it could be conjunctivitis? Maybe there is an eyelash poking him causing him pain?

For food allergies, the best way is trial and error and do an elimination diet. One protein a month with no treats, etc.

If he was allergic to grass or something outside, I would suspect it would affect more than just his eyes. How are his paws? Any redness on his body?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
This would be the first time I've seen or heard of allergies causing 1 eye to swell shut. IMO, something else is going on...like a corneal scratch or ulcer...
maybe even an insect bite

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My Bulldog hasn't been himself lately, spending all day in bed or hiding under my bed. Yesterday he started crying and rubbing his eye. I noticed swelling on his eye to the point that it's closed he's had allergies before so I'm planning a visit to the vet today for meds but how can i find out whats causing this.

Good to keep Vetericyn eye gel in house as part of your doggie emergency/medicine kit to tide you over till you get to vet:
My kit includes:
Coban wrap, gauze pads,vetericyn eye gel, curaseb shampoo, round cosmetic pads, dropper bottle or spray bottle for ear with 50% vinegar/50% witch hazel, dropper bottle for ear with 5 drops clove oil and 5 drops tea tree oil in 2 oz witch hazel, polysporin ointment, Banixx or Vetericyn spray, Duoxo wipes, zincofax ointment

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Is it just the eye that's swelled up? What about the lips n face? Swollen eye usually is a food allergy or an inhaled allergen. Bee sting maybe. Try cold compression for a good 10 minutes see if the swelling goes down.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Any update on your babies eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

banesa

Oct 11, 2017
USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tigger
Turned out he has an ulcer the vet gave him drops & a cone (he hates both) he said we can expect to see him to feel better in 3-4 days.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.