otisthebully

Oct 11, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hi there!

Adopted my first bully about 1 month ago. I've been feeding him the same dry dog food and raw combo as he used to have, but eventually ran out of his raw food topper that isn't available in my region. I switched to a different chicken raw food with vegetables and after a week one of his wrinkles of his tear line has gotten raw and red, like fur has worn off. Help! I'm so worried. I wiped them tonight just with a tissue and there was a little brown stuff coming out. Any suggestions? Any recommendations on how to heal the red raw wrinkle? Besides swapping food? I'm going to my local pet shop tomorrow to try and swap foods.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you want a kibble with raw food topper, it's easier to just buy a premade one like Nutrience Sub Zero or Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost. But there are a lot of freeze dried raw toppers as well to choose from if you want to go that route. It's usually better for bulldogs to avoid chicken and to go grain free.

To get the wrinkle under control buy a ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo like ketohex or curaseb. Try this 4 step process.
1) Wet a round cosmetic pad and apply a dab of shampoo and mix it around on the pad. Then wash wrinkle with it
2) Rinse wrinkle with a second wet round cosmetic pad
3) Dry wrinkle with a 3rd round cosmetic pad
4) Apply zincofax ointment to wrinkle if it's severely red

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Could be yeast. And it could be caused by the chicken. Maybe try a different protein? You can do the above or get some Duoxo wipes. Once you get it under control, make sure you clean the wrinkles every couple of days.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we have a perpetual raw nose rope with our adopted senior. I'd keep it as dry as possible (dry with kleenex or something soft multiple times a day) and once a day or every other day you can add desitin or another diaper rash ointment with a qtip which Foxie hates, but we love because it makes it less itchy weepy and annoying for at least 24 hours. I think the cause is a food allergy but we've got so many other things under control with her new diet that I am controlling the ears and the nose rope with daily attention. high maintenance much? keeps me in close quarters with my loves.

OP
O

otisthebully

Oct 11, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thanks for the help everyone. This morning when I woke up his face was completely swollen on that side so I took him to the vet immediately. She gave him a few shots and medications including a topical spray. Also advised I buy some Stridex wipes. He's doing better now but she said it might've been an insect bite since it was localized to one side...? Still going to change his food slowly. My poor baby :(

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Which medications did she give you? I find vets are way too aggressive with medications. I would definitely continue with the wrinkle regimen I recommended rather than Stridex wipes, and then when he's better keep his wrinkles healthy with duoxo or malacetic wipes, or just plain witch hazel, and keep them dry.

The food is the key thing- make sure you get him on a grain free chicken free diet. I personally recommend dehydrated raw products such as Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms, EasyRaw since allergic dogs tend to do better on raw. I haven't switched to the raw frozen food patties since it's more difficult for travel, leaving dog at sitter etc.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also try some other supplements like a probiotic such as Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, coconut oil, and turmeric. All are good for allergies which are probably involved with the wrinkle problem.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online