Hurt Back Right Leg

Poogan13

Oct 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Hi Everyone,

Our poor guy jumped on the couch last night (which he's done tons of times) and hurt his leg. It's his back right leg. This happened last night and he has been limping pretty bad since then. He's almost hopping and swinging his whole backside to try and move. He can't walk far and then plops down-- although this morning he is trying to move more than last night. It's very sad because he's usually so playful. He won't put much weight on it and sometimes it looks like it drags a little. He's hurt his leg before and we took him to the vet that instance and they just told us he might have pulled a muscle and gave us anti inflammatory medication and the limp went away within a day or so.

I don't know if we should take him to the vet quite yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to drag him to the vet just for them to give us more meds (which we still have some from last time) for nothing more than a tweaked muscle. But I also don't want to be sitting on something more serious. Thank you everyone! Also, he's about 2.5 years old, if that's important for any reason. Thanks again.

Ryan

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I have been through this similar situation 3 times. Jewel and Bentley had torn ACL's which is very common in bullies. This condition will have to be ruled out by a Vet through a physical test called a Drawer's Sign. Poogan might have to be sedated for the Vet to perform this test. Surgery will be needed to fix the ACL...TPLO is one type of surgery and there two others but not off the top of my head.

Limit Poogan's activity. The less he moves the better except for going potty (i.e. no jumping, running, chasing, and climbing to name a few). If you still have the anti-inflammatory pills and/or pain pills, you can give them to him to make comfortable.

Seeing a Vet is to rule out anything serious. It maybe like you said a pulled muscle then again it can go the other way. If it is a torn ACL, you do not want to wait too long as arthritis will set in.

I hope this helps and we wish Poogan a speedy recovery.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
An X-ray will show broken bones but not torn ligaments. An MRI is extremely costly unless you own the machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to EBN Poogan. I'm sorry you are not feeling well.

OP
P

Poogan13

Oct 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Thank you Roger! Unfortunately I had to leave for work today so I hope he's doing ok by himself. I am headed out early though and if he's still in the same condition will take him in tomorrow. I'm praying it is not his ACL. Thank you again for the advice.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Roger gave excellent information... please keep us posted. Hope it is not anything serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
another thought is luxating patella... Just something to check as if he has done before and it resolved itself, he may have stretched that leg where it affected that area.

Members online

No members online now.