Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Adult Onset Hydrocephalus

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2Bullies View Post
    Hi there all,
    I have an update on Wilbur. The test results came back as leukaemia (chronic b-cell type). I am just devastated.
    After a few days of tears and discussions with my vet as well as my neurologist (since Wilbur first presented as a neurologic case, my neurologist will still be handling Wilbur and I don't need to go to an oncologist and have more tests, etc and I am grateful for that). Wilbur is not a candidate for aggressive chemotherapy (and I wouldn't want to put him through that either). After examining Wilbur's current quality of life, everyone involved has agreed that we are going to make him as comfortable as possible. He has a bad day (or morning or afternoon - and by bad I mean he is very tired and quiet) now and then, and his overall energy level is lower, but he is still eating, drinking, running, chewing his bones, playing with his sister, and being a goof. Once that balance changes, I will take a different course.
    If I do nothing, he will deteriorate quickly and his leukemia will likely progress to the acute type, which is catastrophic (in terms of organ failure, possible sepsis, pain). I don't want that to happen - I want him to be comfortable as long as possible. The decision has been made to give him chlorambucil, which is a pill from the chemotherapy cocktail. It is an immunosuppressant and will hopefully decrease his white blood cell count to a more manageable level for his organs and keep him comfortable, for a couple of months or a couple of years. I will have follow up blood work in ten days to see if it is working. If it isn't, then that is a whole other conversation. I won't let him suffer.

Since this thread started due to his hydrocephalus, I wanted to let anyone who has to deal with this know that there is no indication that the leukemia and hydrocephalus are related. I made of point of asking since it seems so coincidental, but the vets tell me that there is no correlation. Wilbur is just a sick dog (and we have always struggled with his allergies etc.). I wanted to clarify that for future readers - hydrocephalus doesn't necessarily mean leukaemia.

Thanks everyone for reading. I am treasuring every moment I have left with my baby.
    So heart broken for you.... you are doing right by him and you! Enjoy ever second and treat him like the king he is.
    @helsonwheels @Dollys Owner -- any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

2. Likes Momma2Bullies, Texas Carol liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

So sorry to hear about Wilbur having CLL. I don't have too much to add, other than protect yourself while handling the chlorambucil- wear double gloves if you need to give it in liquid form. It's better for you if you don't have to crush it up- it comes in 2 mg tablets which are kept in the refrigerator. I'm hoping Wilbur responds well and if he does you'll have him around for a long time !

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Also, you can't give Wilbur any live vaccines such as the core vaccine, intranasal bordetella, intranasal coronavirus and parainfluenza virus once he starts on the chlorambucil.

5. Likes Momma2Bullies liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

@Momma2Bullies ... ive read the whole thread. I see you did everything in your power to help Wilbur. It's like a roller coaster. I know I often repeat myself for some essential oil mixtures that really keeps health issues at bay. Im NOT a vet and by all means I wouldn't tell anyone to stop any meds. But....after reading all of this and you've tried everything and anything with what vets has given you. I personally would go the holistic approach especially at 6.5yr old. I wouldn't put Nyala or Duke through a roller coaster ride. BUT THAT'S ME!!! I would start immediately with:

Frankincense, Myrrh, Helichrysum, Turmeric, Piperine (black pepper), Cod liver oil Ginger

I would have one question, what do you feed Wilbur?

Add turmeric and black pepper in one meal and the other meal add Cod liver oil with the ginger.

Meal one....Start with a 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric n just a pinch of black pepper. Black pepper activates the tumeric to 100% instead of 50% without the black pepper.

Meal 2....Cod liver oil has more omega than fish oil because the oil is taken from the liver instead under the fish skin like fish oil is. Add again 1/4 teaspoon of ginger

Build your 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 after a couple weeks. If a dogs is not use to spices start small. No need to go more than 1/2 teaspoons. And no need to go more than just a pinch of black pepper.

Mix 15 drops of Frankincense, 15 Myrrh and 10 Helichrysum with 2oz fractionated Coconut oil. Shake well!! Rub on the temples, forehead, behind the ears n neck. 2-3x a day. Make sure the last one is before bedtime.

That's what "I" would be doing.

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    So sorry to hear about Wilbur having CLL. I don't have too much to add, other than protect yourself while handling the chlorambucil- wear double gloves if you need to give it in liquid form. It's better for you if you don't have to crush it up- it comes in 2 mg tablets which are kept in the refrigerator. I'm hoping Wilbur responds well and if he does you'll have him around for a long time !
    Totally - that is exactly what I'm doing. It's the tablets thank goodness.
    My whole world

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    Also, you can't give Wilbur any live vaccines such as the core vaccine, intranasal bordetella, intranasal coronavirus and parainfluenza virus once he starts on the chlorambucil.
    He was due for vaccines precisely when the hydrocephalus presented, and since he had to go on Prednisolone at that point both my vet and I agreed that he would get no vaccines for the time being...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    @Momma2Bullies ... ive read the whole thread. I see you did everything in your power to help Wilbur. It's like a roller coaster. I know I often repeat myself for some essential oil mixtures that really keeps health issues at bay. Im NOT a vet and by all means I wouldn't tell anyone to stop any meds. But....after reading all of this and you've tried everything and anything with what vets has given you. I personally would go the holistic approach especially at 6.5yr old. I wouldn't put Nyala or Duke through a roller coaster ride. BUT THAT'S ME!!! I would start immediately with:

Frankincense, Myrrh, Helichrysum, Turmeric, Piperine (black pepper), Cod liver oil Ginger

I would have one question, what do you feed Wilbur?

Add turmeric and black pepper in one meal and the other meal add Cod liver oil with the ginger.

Meal one....Start with a 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric n just a pinch of black pepper. Black pepper activates the tumeric to 100% instead of 50% without the black pepper.

Meal 2....Cod liver oil has more omega than fish oil because the oil is taken from the liver instead under the fish skin like fish oil is. Add again 1/4 teaspoon of ginger

Build your 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 after a couple weeks. If a dogs is not use to spices start small. No need to go more than 1/2 teaspoons. And no need to go more than just a pinch of black pepper.

Mix 15 drops of Frankincense, 15 Myrrh and 10 Helichrysum with 2oz fractionated Coconut oil. Shake well!! Rub on the temples, forehead, behind the ears n neck. 2-3x a day. Make sure the last one is before bedtime.

That's what "I" would be doing.
    Thank you for this info, I haven't tried herbals but I have been looking into it....
    My whole world

9. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Hi there,
    Thank you all for your comments and support. We are just over a week into the chlorambucil, and he had bloodwork yesterday. His white blood cell count has decreased which is good, but his liver values have increased (and he is on Milk Thistle extract as well as ursodial, so even with liver support the values are elevated). As a result my neurologist has decreased the prednisolone drastically, with just 10mg once a day (he was on 10mg twice a day). From everything Ive been told, the side effects I am seeing are mainly due to the steroid. We have had some really bad days, where I could see Wilbur was very uncomfortable, unable to get enough water and hardly able to move he was so bloated from drinking. Two days ago I nearly made the call to let him go....and then yesterday he was chasing squirrels and having conversations with the neighbour dog, chewing his bones and goofing around with his sister. It's impossible to know what to do.

Now that we've cut the prednisolone I am hoping to see some improvement... last night was the first night he wasn't up every hour needing to pee and drink more water. I am hopeful he feels better over the next few days and we will go from there. My vet called me last night to talk and I am so grateful for her support. The fact that I am facing is that Wilbur will succumb to the leukaemia, there is no cure and he will not get better. I am just hoping for more good days than bad.
    My whole world

11. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels, Texas Carol liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi there,
    Thank you all for your comments and support. We are just over a week into the chlorambucil, and he had bloodwork yesterday. His white blood cell count has decreased which is good, but his liver values have increased (and he is on Milk Thistle extract as well as ursodial, so even with liver support the values are elevated). As a result my neurologist has decreased the prednisolone drastically, with just 10mg once a day (he was on 10mg twice a day). From everything Ive been told, the side effects I am seeing are mainly due to the steroid. We have had some really bad days, where I could see Wilbur was very uncomfortable, unable to get enough water and hardly able to move he was so bloated from drinking. Two days ago I nearly made the call to let him go....and then yesterday he was chasing squirrels and having conversations with the neighbour dog, chewing his bones and goofing around with his sister. It's impossible to know what to do.

Now that we've cut the prednisolone I am hoping to see some improvement... last night was the first night he wasn't up every hour needing to pee and drink more water. I am hopeful he feels better over the next few days and we will go from there. My vet called me last night to talk and I am so grateful for her support. The fact that I am facing is that Wilbur will succumb to the leukaemia, there is no cure and he will not get better. I am just hoping for more good days than bad.
    Thank you for the update.... we will all keep you all in your thoughts and be sure to give him hugs from all his friends at EBN
    e.

13. Likes Momma2Bullies liked this post
    Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys,
    just a quick update about Wilbur: today is Dec 22 2017 and I am happy to say that Wilbur is still with us. He is actually doing pretty good, considering. His leukaemia is still in remission, in fact his lymphocyte count is normal. His neutrophil count (the white blood cells fighting infection) were very high last check - we had him on a round of antibiotics because he was clearly fighting something. We also did urinalysis but it wasn't a bladder infection - possibly a blood infection... anyway, had new bloodwork this week and this has improved greatly.
    Essentially, we've adjusted all of his medications. the major concern for us right now is back to his hydrocephalus. I am keeping an eye out for any signs that this is building up again (neurological symptoms). So far so good. His liver values have improved a lot even though they are still high.

All said, he is doing pretty good, he is still having a good quality of life.

His current meds:
    Prednisolone (5mg - I wish he wasn't on this, but this keeps hydrocephalus as well as leukaemia under control), Omeprazole (this is Prilosec, and is for hydrocephalus), phenobarbital for seizures, Chlorambucil (this is the chemo drug), denamarin and ursodial (both are for liver support). I know it seems like a lot, but honestly he hasn't been this well and seeming like he feels better since the hydrocephalus first presented.
    My whole world

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys,
    just a quick update about Wilbur: today is Dec 22 2017 and I am happy to say that Wilbur is still with us. He is actually doing pretty good, considering. His leukaemia is still in remission, in fact his lymphocyte count is normal. His neutrophil count (the white blood cells fighting infection) were very high last check - we had him on a round of antibiotics because he was clearly fighting something. We also did urinalysis but it wasn't a bladder infection - possibly a blood infection... anyway, had new bloodwork this week and this has improved greatly.
    Essentially, we've adjusted all of his medications. the major concern for us right now is back to his hydrocephalus. I am keeping an eye out for any signs that this is building up again (neurological symptoms). So far so good. His liver values have improved a lot even though they are still high.

All said, he is doing pretty good, he is still having a good quality of life.

His current meds:
    Prednisolone (5mg - I wish he wasn't on this, but this keeps hydrocephalus as well as leukaemia under control), Omeprazole (this is Prilosec, and is for hydrocephalus), phenobarbital for seizures, Chlorambucil (this is the chemo drug), denamarin and ursodial (both are for liver support). I know it seems like a lot, but honestly he hasn't been this well and seeming like he feels better since the hydrocephalus first presented.
    Thank you so much for the update! that sweet boy wants to stick around.... continue to keep us posted and we will all continue to send lots of prayers and positive thoughts to him and you
    e.

17. Likes Momma2Bullies liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Momma2Bullies It's good to hear this news about Wilbur. Praying that he continues doing better. This is a good Christmas gift for you to have him here. Enjoy your Christmas gift of Wilbur!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

19. Likes Momma2Bullies liked this post
    Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Hi all, just a quick update on Wilbur for those following ... it’s July 29 2018 and he is still going strong. His leukaemia is in remission, managed by a daily chemo pill. His hydrocephalus doesn’t seem to be causing him any issues either, although he did have a seizure two weeks ago (which I hate but our neurologist told us that one seizure every 6-8 months is still ok and to be expected...). He is on 4 medications, his liver values are still elevated but so far we have been very lucky with him. In fact, you would never even know anything is wrong with him, he is 100% himself. We have routine bloodwork every 6-8 weeks to monitor him, and so far so good. Fingers crossed it keeps going this way.
    My whole world

21. Likes ddnene, Hankster, Texas Carol, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads