Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie is just about 7 months old and has had excessive tearing since basically I got him. And I mean excessive. His eye folds are constantly wet. I took him to the vet in July to see if there were eyelashes in the way and he said no but that his lower lids rolled in just slightly. So I thought we would revisit the issue when he gets neutered which will probably be in January thinking if he needs surgery, might as well do them at the same time. But at this rate, his folds are just going to keep getting worse.

He gets filtered water and a stainless steel bowl. I don't think it's food related.

So I'm looking for opinions. Anyone else have this issue with tearing caused by entropian? Did surgery fix the problem? Is it possible he'll outgrow it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Can you see if lashes are poking him? I was surprised when I finally actually saw hairs poking hank in his eye causing the watering. He first had them plucked, knowing surgery was probably in order, but wanted to wait till he was going 'under' for something else possibly. So, indeed he did need, and got it done with the palate, and nares. You have a tough decision as you don't want to neuter early, but don't want to hold off too long on the eyes either. I am hoping someone will come on saying that he has the chance to outgrow.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Can you see if lashes are poking him? I was surprised when I finally actually saw hairs poking hank in his eye causing the watering. He first had them plucked, knowing surgery was probably in order, but wanted to wait till he was going 'under' for something else possibly. So, indeed he did need, and got it done with the palate, and nares. You have a tough decision as you don't want to neuter early, but don't want to hold off too long on the eyes either. I am hoping someone will come on saying that he has the chance to outgrow.

I had taken him to the vet to see about eyelashes and vet said nothing was poking him. I don't want to put him under twice if I don't have to but the stains are getting worse. And just the fact his folds are constantly wet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] have experience. Others do but can't remember

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If I were you, [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] I would take a look at his eyes yourself. roll the lids out, top and bottom(seperately) and see if there are any lashes on the inside,poking.
I have two that had both their eyes done-when they were spayed. I checked them and saw that they needed it. Told the vet, and he verified it. They never did have tears because of it. In fact my sister's dog(a sister of my dog) has no eyelashes on the outside. Her eyes are not irritated,and do not water. I told my sis that her dog needed the surgery,and she said"oh yeah?" So much for suggestions!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If I were you, [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] I would take a look at his eyes yourself. roll the lids out, top and bottom(seperately) and see if there are any lashes on the inside,poking.
I have two that had both their eyes done-when they were spayed. I checked them and saw that they needed it. Told the vet, and he verified it. They never did have tears because of it. In fact my sister's dog(a sister of my dog) has no eyelashes on the outside. Her eyes are not irritated,and do not water. I told my sis that her dog needed the surgery,and she said"oh yeah?" So much for suggestions!

The vet looked and said there were no eyelashes poking him. He did show me how his bottom lids roll in just slightly. Can that cause excessive tearing?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
If the lashes touch eye at all, could cause tearing. Allergies-environmental or otherwise also causes tearing. Blocked ducts, or overactive tear producing.

- - - Updated - - -

If the lashes touch eye at all, could cause tearing. Allergies-environmental or otherwise also causes tearing. Blocked ducts, or overactive tear producing.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Allergies, food or enviromental, blocked tear ducts, or overactive tear production can cause excessive tearing.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Allergies, food or enviromental, blocked tear ducts, or overactive tear production can cause excessive tearing.

He is showing no other signs of allergies. I will check for eyelashes again tonight. But another vet visit may be in order to figure out the issue.

Members online

No members online now.