DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Hello! I adopted, I like to think rescued :), my first OEBD 2 days ago. I had a boxer for 8 years, my husband and I split and he kept the dog :(. There was a hole there so I started thinking about getting another baby. I hadn't made up my mind as to what I wanted quite yet and I unexpectedly came across Sumo. He tugged at my heart from the instant I saw his face and knew he was mine. He is amazing, Im here to get out a few concerns and get some help.

1) Food - He was on Pedigree and I am switching him over to Purina One Lamb and Rice for now. I have been researching and I know this is by no means the best but I'M kind of lost. There is so much out there and never know if what Im reading is accurate any more. His stools are very loose and I know it could be stress related at this point. Just want to make sure Im headed in the right direction. Are there any vitamins that are essential for this breed as far as digestion? The PO said he used to make turkey, rice, broccoli and cauliflower to feed him once a week. Should I continue this since he is used to it? (he gets really bad gas )

2) Skin - He has some missing spots of fur. The most noticeable is between his shoulder blades. The PO said it was a "hot spot" from the kennel. (he was in there way more than he should have been) I will post pictures. I have read everything from mange to fleas to allergies. The day I got him I gave him an oatmeal bath, he was pretty stinky too and been putting polysporin on it. I am planning on getting him started on coconut oil in his food and topically. I have also read that head and shoulders helped in some cases but am weary about doing too much too fast as I do not want to cause more issues. The first day I didn't notice much itching but he has progressively been scratching more and more. Again, are there any vitamins or certain foods I should be giving him for better skin and coat?

3) Stubbornness - Sumo is house trained but that is about it. I have been reading up on training and how stubborn they can be. Most of the time he listens but I swear he has selective hearing. I know he hears me, its like he has just decided hes not into listening at that point. I am trying to be easy with him because I know hes adjusting but I also want to make sure he knows whos boss. Ive read that short increments and training with treats are best with this breed and A LOT of positive reinforcement. Tips would be great!

4) Heart worms and fleas- Have checked him for fleas and havent seen anything. I was told he was given Normecitn every month, is this suitable?

Sumo is getting more and more relaxed and happy with each day, we still have a ways to go but we are making progress.

On another note, he doesn't look like your typical olde English bulldog (or what I have in my head), he looks like a mini pit and scares everyone! What are some positive ways to deal with that? I know how sweet he is but everyone else doesn't.

I know ive missed some things and Im sure I will have another post equally as long soon :):):)

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 156
  • hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
The links aren't working for me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello! I adopted, I like to think rescued :), my first OEBD 2 days ago. I had a boxer for 8 years, my husband and I split and he kept the dog :(. There was a hole there so I started thinking about getting another baby. I hadn't made up my mind as to what I wanted quite yet and I unexpectedly came across Sumo. He tugged at my heart from the instant I saw his face and knew he was mine. He is amazing, Im here to get out a few concerns and get some help.

1) Food - He was on Pedigree and I am switching him over to Purina One Lamb and Rice for now. I have been researching and I know this is by no means the best but I'M kind of lost. There is so much out there and never know if what Im reading is accurate any more. His stools are very loose and I know it could be stress related at this point. Just want to make sure Im headed in the right direction. Are there any vitamins that are essential for this breed as far as digestion? The PO said he used to make turkey, rice, broccoli and cauliflower to feed him once a week. Should I continue this since he is used to it? (he gets really bad gas )

2) Skin - He has some missing spots of fur. The most noticeable is between his shoulder blades. The PO said it was a "hot spot" from the kennel. (he was in there way more than he should have been) I will post pictures. I have read everything from mange to fleas to allergies. The day I got him I gave him an oatmeal bath, he was pretty stinky too and been putting polysporin on it. I am planning on getting him started on coconut oil in his food and topically. I have also read that head and shoulders helped in some cases but am weary about doing too much too fast as I do not want to cause more issues. The first day I didn't notice much itching but he has progressively been scratching more and more. Again, are there any vitamins or certain foods I should be giving him for better skin and coat?

3) Stubbornness - Sumo is house trained but that is about it. I have been reading up on training and how stubborn they can be. Most of the time he listens but I swear he has selective hearing. I know he hears me, its like he has just decided hes not into listening at that point. I am trying to be easy with him because I know hes adjusting but I also want to make sure he knows whos boss. Ive read that short increments and training with treats are best with this breed and A LOT of positive reinforcement. Tips would be great!

4) Heart worms and fleas- Have checked him for fleas and havent seen anything. I was told he was given Normecitn every month, is this suitable?

Sumo is getting more and more relaxed and happy with each day, we still have a ways to go but we are making progress.

On another note, he doesn't look like your typical olde English bulldog (or what I have in my head), he looks like a mini pit and scares everyone! What are some positive ways to deal with that? I know how sweet he is but everyone else doesn't.

I know ive missed some things and Im sure I will have another post equally as long soon :):):)

Thank you for your help!

hey there!

Skin -- Any idea how old he is? Could be allergies, but the one picture looks like it was shaved - could there have been injuries from previous owners during the fights?

Food -- here are the top six, no particular order that many have great results with, all are grain free
Raw
Fromm
The Honest Kitchen
Earthborn Holistic
Acana
Orijen
Nature's Varity Instinct
Oh and -- Zingnature is one some are starting to use and getting good feedback

heartworms/fleas -- I use Sentinel.. others will chime in with their choices.

Training --- use 'nothing in life is free' to get him started. Consistency is key .. get him to know you are his 'leader' and then he will begin to nicely fall into place.

OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
hey there!

Skin -- Any idea how old he is? Could be allergies, but the one picture looks like it was shaved - could there have been injuries from previous owners during the fights?

Food -- here are the top six, no particular order that many have great results with, all are grain free
Raw
Fromm
The Honest Kitchen
Earthborn Holistic
Acana
Orijen
Nature's Varity Instinct
Oh and -- Zingnature is one some are starting to use and getting good feedback

heartworms/fleas -- I use Sentinel.. others will chime in with their choices.

Training --- use 'nothing in life is free' to get him started. Consistency is key .. get him to know you are his 'leader' and then he will begin to nicely fall into place.

Hi Christine!

I was told he is a year old. He is so calm I really have a hard time believing that but his teeth are still staggered and no buildup so it may just be the stress of what is going on. The PO said he did shave him. He also said that Sumo and the other male in his home were starting to butt heads. It does look like there is a little scar there so I wouldn't be surprised if some info was left out. The only thing is there are quite a few little spots elsewhere that arent as bad. I guess that could be from nipping. The picture of him laying down kind of shows some on his side and face.

Thank you for the food recommendations, gives me somewhere to start!

I appreciate the feedback :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Christine!

I was told he is a year old. He is so calm I really have a hard time believing that but his teeth are still staggered and no buildup so it may just be the stress of what is going on. The PO said he did shave him. He also said that Sumo and the other male in his home were starting to butt heads. It does look like there is a little scar there so I wouldn't be surprised if some info was left out. The only thing is there are quite a few little spots elsewhere that arent as bad. I guess that could be from nipping. The picture of him laying down kind of shows some on his side and face.

Thank you for the food recommendations, gives me somewhere to start!

I appreciate the feedback :)

I would ask your vet to do a skin scrap... usually pups under a year old, but due to him being in a shelter it could be mange. NOT a big deal, all dogs have mites, but younger pups and stressed dogs will get mange because their immune system cannot fight them off.

Stay away from head and shoulders.. that is crap @Dollys Owner -- what is that shampoo you always recommend, but I can remember the name

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh what a sweet face that boy has. I'm so glad you rescued him and are getting to love him to bits. The marks on him look like bites to me as in the pic laying down, they are longish not round which I'm more used to seeing. Poor fella either way, and like was said, that nuStock is great.... just smells to high heaven. Your certainly on the right track and finding your way here is a great blessing as well. So much experience with these guys helps a lot! Keep asking, and love to see more pics as well. He really is a pretty oeb for sure.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'd wash him twice a week for a couple of weeks then once weekly with a ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo like curaseb or ketohex till it clears up. Also put on the Nu-Stock like suggested. It'd be a good idea to also start him on a probiotic for a while eg. doggie probiotics such as Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, or if you can't get that then kefir or live sauerkraut from fridge section of health food store, or green tripe.

OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I would ask your vet to do a skin scrap... usually pups under a year old, but due to him being in a shelter it could be mange. NOT a big deal, all dogs have mites, but younger pups and stressed dogs will get mange because their immune system cannot fight them off.

Stay away from head and shoulders.. that is crap @Dollys Owner -- what is that shampoo you always recommend, but I can remember the name

Thank you for the head up with the head and shoulders!
Ive got a few things Im going to try, we have been by the vet just for a quick look and they didnt seem to be too worried. Told them what I have been doing (oatmeal bath and polysporin) and they told me if not better come back in 2 weeks. Of course if it gets worse we will be going.
Ive read a lot about NU-Stock and I may give that a try along with incorporating coconut oil. Crossing my fingers.

OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
oh what a sweet face that boy has. I'm so glad you rescued him and are getting to love him to bits. The marks on him look like bites to me as in the pic laying down, they are longish not round which I'm more used to seeing. Poor fella either way, and like was said, that nuStock is great.... just smells to high heaven. Your certainly on the right track and finding your way here is a great blessing as well. So much experience with these guys helps a lot! Keep asking, and love to see more pics as well. He really is a pretty oeb for sure.

Hi Jill! Thank you so much! He melts me every time he looks at me. Its so hard to discipline him, good thing it doesnt happen much at all.
I am so glad to have such a great community to come to!

OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I'd wash him twice a week for a couple of weeks then once weekly with a ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo like curaseb or ketohex till it clears up. Also put on the Nu-Stock like suggested. It'd be a good idea to also start him on a probiotic for a while eg. doggie probiotics such as Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, or if you can't get that then kefir or live sauerkraut from fridge section of health food store, or green tripe.

I will look into that shampoo, I plan on giving him another bath tonight .
I ordered a probiotic and will have it tomorrow. Im excited for that!! Hoping it helps the farts :pray2:, they are BAD hehe. So if I do the probiotic I do not need to do the others? Its just either or?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi Jill! Thank you so much! He melts me every time he looks at me. Its so hard to discipline him, good thing it doesnt happen much at all.
I am so glad to have such a great community to come to!

I'm glad you found your way here too :) It's a great place with great people, adorable dogs, and lots of sharing of info :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I ordered a probiotic and will have it tomorrow. Im excited for that!! Hoping it helps the farts :pray2:, they are BAD hehe. So if I do the probiotic I do not need to do the others? Its just either or?

The kibbles your feeding him sure wont help for farts or anything. Especially loose stools. For sure needs probiotics. Like mentioned green frozen tripe at your pet shop, sauerkraut and yes the refrigerated one at health food store... for ticks heres what I put on my 2 brats.

FOR TICKS 14 oz of Witch Hazel 12 drops of Lavender 15 drops of Citronella 15 drops of Lemongrass. Put all in a spray bottle and shake. Also great for mosquitoes. I go to Banff once in a while and yes sometimes ticks in them woods can get bad. I know they sure dont stick on my furballs. So I know it works great that mix.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Yes, if you do the probiotic you don't need kefir, sauerkraut, although green tripe is good for many reasons besides just probiotics. Having said that, I've never given it because it's smelly.

Members online

No members online now.