Ja118

Sep 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hey guys. Just joined to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have a new pup who at times will have a very raspy and deep cough. There's never a rhyme or reason as to why. Plays & eats normal. There's no lethargy & no coughing when he's out running or in the heat. My vet & a vet at Blue Pearl have said it's Brachycephalic syndrome. They've recommended the nasal surgery & possibly soft pallet. Doing some research & ive read a small trachea could also be a problem after the intinial growth spurt & it could enventually catch up & be fine. Sometimes the cough is a gagging cough & others it's a deep raspy cough. Any help would be greatly appreciated

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey guys. Just joined to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have a new pup who at times will have a very raspy and deep cough. There's never a rhyme or reason as to why. Plays & eats normal. There's no lethargy & no coughing when he's out running or in the heat. My vet & a vet at Blue Pearl have said it's Brachycephalic syndrome. They've recommended the nasal surgery & possibly soft pallet. Doing some research & ive read a small trachea could also be a problem after the intinial growth spurt & it could enventually catch up & be fine. Sometimes the cough is a gagging cough & others it's a deep raspy cough. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ive had issues with Nyala at 5 months old. Read this link n it will help enormously and keep Oscar on good maintenance. BTW Welcome!!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Can it be kennel cough?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Agree! The most common reason for cough in young puppies especially the ones that are just brought home from breeder, is kennel cough. Cough is usually irregular, there are hours without coughing and then it comes. Sound may remind loud honking or duck quacking but can be very different. Even vaccinated puppies can contract it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You can put vaporizer in room with the puppy or keep in her bathroom with shower on, and take her to vet for antibiotics if she doesn't seem to be getting better. Helsonwheels is referring you to discussion of putting essential oils in an ultrasonic nebulizer for inhalation which can be in addition to using a plain vaporizer.

OP
J

Ja118

Sep 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Agree! The most common reason for cough in young puppies especially the ones that are just brought home from breeder, is kennel cough. Cough is usually irregular, there are hours without coughing and then it comes. Sound may remind loud honking or duck quacking but can be very different. Even vaccinated puppies can contract it.

Thanks for the replies. He's had the cough for almost 2 months. Maybe should've mentioned that. Both vets have ruled kennel cough out. This is my second bulldog. I lost my first a few months back at age 11 due to heart failure. He never had this issue. I don't want to just jump into a surgery. Thought I'd reach out to some to some other bulldog owners for help

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the replies. He's had the cough for almost 2 months. Maybe should've mentioned that. Both vets have ruled kennel cough out. This is my second bulldog. I lost my first a few months back at age 11 due to heart failure. He never had this issue. I don't want to just jump into a surgery. Thought I'd reach out to some to some other bulldog owners for help

You got him at 6 weeks old? Kinda young. Both vets said "Brachycephalic syndrome". Get some essential oils for the recipe in the link attached. IT WORKS!!!! Opens passages so the can breath better.

Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1/2cup)This was for her nights but you can also use daytime. I leave it all day also so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. Again I have a timer on mine. 3 drops of Eucalyptus 3 drops of Peppermint 3 drops of Lavender 2 drops of Lemon. Oil and water DO NOT mix why you need a diffuser that is ultrasonic ionizer cause the vibration is so fast it breaks the oils in the water. Also add 5 drops of Tea Tree. If you have a bigger diffuser double your drops. At night put the diffuser over his kennel. Leave it on 24/7 where he hangs around.

Again here's the link for everything.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

OP
J

Ja118

Sep 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
You got him at 6 weeks old? Kinda young. Both vets said "Brachycephalic syndrome". Get some essential oils for the recipe in the link attached. IT WORKS!!!! Opens passages so the can breath better.

Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1/2cup)This was for her nights but you can also use daytime. I leave it all day also so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. Again I have a timer on mine. 3 drops of Eucalyptus 3 drops of Peppermint 3 drops of Lavender 2 drops of Lemon. Oil and water DO NOT mix why you need a diffuser that is ultrasonic ionizer cause the vibration is so fast it breaks the oils in the water. Also add 5 drops of Tea Tree. If you have a bigger diffuser double your drops. At night put the diffuser over his kennel. Leave it on 24/7 where he hangs around.

Again here's the link for everything.

Yeah. I got him @ 6 weeks. The breeders vet had cleared the pups. I was able to visit the breeder beforehand. Still in contact with her & she said they never coughed with her. Has anyone here every had the surgery done? Is it common? I will look into the oils. Thank you

triathk

Jul 29, 2016
Alabama
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozee
I had the same problem with one of my lil babies. It ended up being what they call the "dog flu" it is really going around. The vet did x-rays and said it was a collapsed trachea but that was not the problem. They were ready to put her down and I just couldn't do it. Happy to report she has recovered but it does take time.

OP
J

Ja118

Sep 11, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I had the same problem with one of my lil babies. It ended up being what they call the "dog flu" it is really going around. The vet did x-rays and said it was a collapsed trachea but that was not the problem. They were ready to put her down and I just couldn't do it. Happy to report she has recovered but it does take time.[/QUOTE

Happy to hear that. Went to the vet again yesterday. As a precaution he was put on some antibiotics. She still recommended that surgery at some point. See how he does in the next few weeks with the drugs

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah. I got him @ 6 weeks. The breeders vet had cleared the pups. I was able to visit the breeder beforehand. Still in contact with her & she said they never coughed with her. Has anyone here every had the surgery done? Is it common? I will look into the oils. Thank you

Agree with the gang -- try the vaporizer or hot steamy bathroom to help clear him up.

I have the surgery for three of my four bulldogs... Nitshcke was back in 2006, and needed all of the usual stuff done. Cheli, my Frenchie, had to have it done twice due to sleep apnea issues and Lambeau or two year old.. we opted to have his nares widen at age of 16 weeks and he has no issues at all .. doesn't even snore.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.