swallowed rawhide!!

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
Help!! My bullie just got ahold of a rawhide twistie bone. (I thought I had thrown all of them away!!) She took it apart into 3 sections.....I took one away she was gagging on, threw another section away. But there's one section missing. I'm guessing she just swallowed it. It would be about 4 inches long, about the same diameter as your finger and is in a corkscrew shape. What should I look for if starts to cause a problem for her?:confused:

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I would watch for change in bowel...to make sure it hasn't became obstructed. Also...she may hurl it up...Watch to see if she keeps her kibble down...that sort of thing. If food doesn't stay down...and she stops having bowel movements. Then I would say take her to a vet. She may surprise you and pass it as well...it's a wait and see sort of thing now. And continue to look around the house maybe it will turn up.

Rawhides...I've yet to figure out why they still allow them sold on the market when so many dogs have issues with them...those and greenies are NEVER brought into my house. Back years ago...we're talking 20 yrs. They found dogs died from chewing on them...here later came to learn arsenic was used to help manipulate the hide into shapes. And dogs were dying left and right. It was then I stopped purchasing them for the family dog...that and the bulldog one and only time he had one...sucks on it and got it stuck in his throat. We had stopped with the rawhides before the alert went out in the pet community about the arsenic in the rawhides...

Praying for normal bowel movements in your dogs case...keep us posted please.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
If it hasn't passed through yet or been thrown up chances are it is still in the dog's stomach. I'd take her to the vet for a forced puke. That is so much easier on the dog and your wallet than obstructive surgery. Rawhides are awful!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1803]giasmom[/MENTION] Yes I hope all is well!!!! Please let us know! :pray:

OP
G

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
Well, all is good !!! Never did find (see) the results of her chewing come out the south end!! But, given that she's acting completely normal, eating, drinking, playing, slobbering :p, I'd say my worrying was for nothing.

Note to self......look under all the chairs, couches, and throw away ALL rawhides!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Glad to hear that she is ok .... hopefully she didn't eat it and one day you'll find it down the side of the couch!!!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
@giasmom
Well, all is good !!! Never did find (see) the results of her chewing come out the south end!! But, given that she's acting completely normal, eating, drinking, playing, slobbering :p, I'd say my worrying was for nothing.

Note to self......look under all the chairs, couches, and throw away ALL rawhides!!!!

Yeah my best bet would be it's in hiding some place around the house as well...glad that you found no issues with her. Rawhides...I can't understand why they aren't pulled from the market...crazy...they are nothing but BAD NEWS!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Good to know everything is ok. Yep I would get rid of all of them asap, they are such a scary thing for pups, especially bullies cuz they have such huge mouths and throats, they can swallow anything.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
If it was swallowed would it not just be digested in
the stomach? I bought Jozi a braided Bully Stick in
St Louis, she had swallowed it before we got to
Effingham, Illinois. She was chewing on it just fine,
then looked over just in time to see the very end of
it go into her mouth and down her throat.

I pulled over and tried to get it out. She just looked at
me like "what are you doing". Everything was fine with
her. Just like that was what she was suppose to do
with it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online