Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Okay, Louie was just inhaling his food and started choking. He ended up throwing up and I think he even peed, maybe from being scared. Totally thought of Duke and your experience [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]. He went right back to eating and I think a little something was stuck in his throat cause he kept dry heaving and then he finally drank some water and I think the dry heaving has stopped.

Very, very scary. I wish these guys would slow down with their eating. It's not a race. So I used to have a slow feed bowl for Jax, just the kind with a ball like shape in the middle. It worked for a hot minute and then he figured out. So for anyone that is using a slow feed bowl, is it really working? I prefer stainless steel so not really into those puzzle ones.

Also, there's been posts about aspiration pneumonia so I'm not wanting to worry about it but should I be? How soon after a vomiting incident would it take to show up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY crap...

For slowing him down.. try adding water to food, enough to make him lap instead of gulp, some use heavy metal ball that moves around and they have to work around it... someone else suggested a cookie sheet.

Aspiration... not sure but it is pretty quick-- few hours maybe. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] might have insight

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
HOLY crap...

For slowing him down.. try adding water to food, enough to make him lap instead of gulp, some use heavy metal ball that moves around and they have to work around it... someone else suggested a cookie sheet.

Aspiration... not sure but it is pretty quick-- few hours maybe. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] might have insight

Adding water sounds like a good idea. Jax figured out the slow feed bowl so not sure if it's worth getting another one.

I was in the bedroom and I heard my step-daughter screaming. By the time I got out there he had already spit it up. But I could tell he was scared for maybe 5 seconds cause then he went right back to eating.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Adding water sounds like a good idea. Jax figured out the slow feed bowl so not sure if it's worth getting another one.

I was in the bedroom and I heard my step-daughter screaming. By the time I got out there he had already spit it up. But I could tell he was scared for maybe 5 seconds cause then he went right back to eating.

No, not a bowl.. it is a large metal ball. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] used them for Vegas.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Okay, Louie was just inhaling his food and started choking. He ended up throwing up and I think he even peed, maybe from being scared. Totally thought of Duke and your experience [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]. He went right back to eating and I think a little something was stuck in his throat cause he kept dry heaving and then he finally drank some water and I think the dry heaving has stopped.

Very, very scary. I wish these guys would slow down with their eating. It's not a race. So I used to have a slow feed bowl for Jax, just the kind with a ball like shape in the middle. It worked for a hot minute and then he figured out. So for anyone that is using a slow feed bowl, is it really working? I prefer stainless steel so not really into those puzzle ones.
Also, there's been posts about aspiration pneumonia so I'm not wanting to worry about it but should I be? How soon after a vomiting incident would it take to show up? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got Duke the Outward hound
https://www.amazon.ca/Outward-Hound...qid=1504836815&sr=8-3&keywords=slow+food+bowl

But to be honest with you doesn't slow him that much. It works but still eats fast. The thing is that the brain is escalated and he dives in like worry he's going to miss out on food. There is NO way I leave his site when he's eating not till he's done. The frozen raw he gets in the morning is cut up in quarters and still finds a way to choke. Its cut up !!! The morning is the worst as hes starving. Lunch raw snack is an intense "no snapping out of the hand" training. Supper is only kibbles so he's calm down a TAD but still eats fast. Never have I had a dog that inhales like Duke. Never have I had a pig head thats morepig head than an English Bulldog lolll

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
No, not a bowl.. it is a large metal ball. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] used them for Vegas. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG you gave me an idea. Got a set of bocce balls in the garage. They weigh a ton. He cant roll that out. Ok going to try it tomorrow. Might flatten his tongue hahahaha

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
No, not a bowl.. it is a large metal ball. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] used them for Vegas.

https://youtu.be/2SUuRsVCcCw

It took awhile to find the video.
Vegas figured out how to pop the ball out of the bowl fairly quick.
We ended up getting a deeper dish and now we have no issues !

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

We ended up getting a deeper dish and now we have no issues ! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im still laughing. That's funny. I did have a ceramic ball but like Vegas, Duke figured that out fast. I sure dont find Vegas eating fast comparison to Duke. Duke's like on speed. Im going to try a bocce ball tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing made me laughed! He's too cute!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

hahaha this cracked me up!!! just flips it out like it's no big interference even...

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Im still laughing. That's funny. I did have a ceramic ball but like Vegas, Duke figured that out fast. I sure dont find Vegas eating fast comparison to Duke. Duke's like on speed. Im going to try a bocce ball tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing made me laughed! He's too cute!!!

Orion is the fast eater. She chokes and throws up after almost every meal. One time... 5 times!!
We started giving her famotadine. It's really helped.
With O, we were using 2 of those. But we feed Greek yogurt with each meal and it was getting on the slow feed balls and onto her face, neck and forehead. She would have dried yogurt on her face for hours before we would realize. So we gave one to Vegas and put a bigger one in Orion's dish.
As you can see.. Vegas took to it well. With the bigger and deeper dish... the ball now stays in.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

so scary!!! and hove you found a solution yet?

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG you gave me an idea. Got a set of bocce balls in the garage. They weigh a ton. He cant roll that out. Ok going to try it tomorrow. Might flatten his tongue hahahaha

Let me know how the bocce ball works out!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

I feel like they all figure out fairly quickly how to get around the "slow feeding" obstacles. What height is your bowl set? I just got an 8 inch elevated set for my Frenchie and I swear it slows him down a little but he eats raw. I wanted to get a set for Louie too but wasn't sure what height to get. He drinks out of Jax's water bowl and the 8 inches seems to be fine??

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I bought one for Monty as he recently started to wolf his food down (WHY!) and throw up after. I add a small amount of water and between the two, it has made all the difference. I got him this one.

https://www.amazon.com/OurPets-Dura...504840016&sr=1-10&keywords=slow+feed+dog+bowl

I had this same exact one for Jax and it worked for a few days and then somehow he figured out how to work around it. Now that Jax eats raw and I kind of smash it done, it takes him longer to eat and I have never had a choking incident with him (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.