How Common is aspiration pneumonia?

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Josie was running around and playing outside today. Eating grass, dirt, leaves, hopefully no rocks, and she tried to eat a spider web and then threw up just once. She seemed fine afterwards drank some water and went back to playing and running about. This evening she cleared her throat a few times, which she's never really done before so now I am worried and googling and scaring myself.

My husband says she probably just made her throat a little sore from throwing up or has grass stuck in it, that she is fine and to quit worrying so much. Trust me he has reason to say that, I worry if she sits down differently, or wiggles her eyebrows strangely, sleeps an extra 5 minutes, etc etc etc. I keep waiting for something to go wrong with her, I've read so many stories and gotten so many warnings about English bulldog health issues, that I'm a bit paranoid when it come to her health.

How common is aspiration pneumonia? How long before I know if that's a possibility? What are the symptoms in and English Bulldog with it? Okay and I will ask it... what else should I be worried about?

Terry

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Josie was running around and playing outside today. Eating grass, dirt, leaves, hopefully no rocks, and she tried to eat a spider web and then threw up just once. She seemed fine afterwards drank some water and went back to playing and running about. This evening she cleared her throat a few times, which she's never really done before so now I am worried and googling and scaring myself.

My husband says she probably just made her throat a little sore from throwing up or has grass stuck in it, that she is fine and to quit worrying so much. Trust me he has reason to say that, I worry if she sits down differently, or wiggles her eyebrows strangely, sleeps an extra 5 minutes, etc etc etc. I keep waiting for something to go wrong with her, I've read so many stories and gotten so many warnings about English bulldog health issues, that I'm a bit paranoid when it come to her health.

How common is aspiration pneumonia? How long before I know if that's a possibility? What are the symptoms in and English Bulldog with it? Okay and I will ask it... what else should I be worried about?

Terry

Holycowabunga Terry...breathe!!!! Rule #1 dont paranoid or panick cause Josie was running around. Yes of course things CAN happen but you can't make yourself sick either. My little one Duke, is one that an owner should be checking 24/7 if he's not locked up in his kennel. I always find in his poop, twigs...tiny rocks...plastic..seeds/nuts from neighbour's trees etc. I scan the yard on daily basis but there's so much anyone can do. He had his doggy cousins over fpr a night 5 dogs in all n he was limping all night. He doesn't know when to stop. Next day he was fine. What I'm trying to say is, if anything is going to happen, it will. But doesn't mean something will happen either. You read all sorts in here and yes some will bring tears to your eyes and your heart stuck in your throat but that's any fourm and any breed. Not just EB. Keep an eye out see how she's doing tomorrow. Like you said she ate dirt, leaves, grass and more. Could be something just sitting there. She'll drink it down. Relax or you won't be good to anyone if you panick. Breathe girl..breathe!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks

Terry
I agree 100% I was the exact same way with my Chevy worried about everything I had googled so much before I got him trying to prepare n it was the worst thing I could do because u find all these horror stories on google u never hear of a happy healthy ebd but I promise they do exist but u never hear those stories I had scared myself to death if Chevy didn't burp right after a meal which he always does I was sure it was bloat if he missed a poop I was sure he had an impacted bowel if he took a nap I was sure it was because he was sick now here I sit 6 mos later and I too have found everything under the sun in his poo and he does eat uneatable things but he is fine big fat healthy boy what I'm getting at is don't worry if something is wrong I promise ur baby will let u know and u won't be able to miss it with all the worrying u r missing out on the fun of having a bulldog they r a great breed and lots of fun but first mom has to calm down and breath anything is possible but u can't bubble wrap them

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I agree 100% I was the exact same way with my Chevy worried about everything I had googled so much before I got him trying to prepare n it was the worst thing I could do because u find all these horror stories on google u never hear of a happy healthy ebd but I promise they do exist but u never hear those stories I had scared myself to death if Chevy didn't burp right after a meal which he always does I was sure it was bloat if he missed a poop I was sure he had an impacted bowel if he took a nap I was sure it was because he was sick now here I sit 6 mos later and I too have found everything under the sun in his poo and he does eat uneatable things but he is fine big fat healthy boy what I'm getting at is don't worry if something is wrong I promise ur baby will let u know and u won't be able to miss it with all the worrying u r missing out on the fun of having a bulldog they r a great breed and lots of fun but first mom has to calm down and breath anything is possible but u can't bubble wrap them

:2thumbs:

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Thank you everyone. She seems fine today no coughing or throat clearing. I like the bubble wrap comment! My husband teases me that I would stick her in the worlds largest hampster ball if I could. He calls her his little bulldozer and when he does she runs over drops her head, makes playful grumbly sounds and shoves up against him or a toy, whatever then she looks up at him and he pats her head and I swear she smiles. It's their joke on Mommy and her over protective instincts.

I will try and calm down and not worry so much but I just love her so much and don't want to miss some important sign that something is wrong. I want her safe happy and healthy every day if her life. Daddy's Bulldozer SNORT, Mamas Josie Wosie Puddin in Pie, is what I call her.

Terry

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone. She seems fine today no coughing or throat clearing. I like the bubble wrap comment! My husband teases me that I would stick her in the worlds largest hampster ball if I could. He calls her his little bulldozer and when he does she runs over drops her head, makes playful grumbly sounds and shoves up against him or a toy, whatever then she looks up at him and he pats her head and I swear she smiles. It's their joke on Mommy and her over protective instincts.

I will try and calm down and not worry so much but I just love her so much and don't want to miss some important sign that something is wrong. I want her safe happy and healthy every day if her life. Daddy's Bulldozer SNORT, Mamas Josie Wosie Puddin in Pie, is what I call her.

Terry

It is better to be overly concerned than not paying attention. all you describe is just phlegm and excitement --- Cheli, my Frenchie does it a LOT, mostly from grass and gnawing on bones, but whenever you see a change in breathing that is where you know something more is going on.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This is great and gee,,,, someone else here has had to be "talked down" a few times :whistle: so this really made me laugh... So, your not alone :) Keep your eyes out of course, but enjoy...And relax... I'm still working on that part as well :blush2:

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

Terry

So Glad to hear Josie is feeling better.

I too wish I could keep Ellie in a bubble!! however I too have come down from the ledge, And Ellie has been through a bunch of weird stuff, quite a few rounds of vomiting, diarrhea, also including Mild AP AND (2 rounds) of Kennel Cough all within her 1st 5-10mos, she is now almost 2yrs

Dr. Google will make you crazy - take it from me, I think my husband was about to commit me :ROFL::ROFL:

P.S. We need to see new pics!! Miss her face

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Haven't I posted anything recently?
Well I simply must rectify that!

IMG_9977.JPG
Josie figuring out a new way to give Mommy kisses! My eyes are closed because that tongue was indiscriminate in its trajectory.

IMG_9926.JPG
Josie on HER porch. Isn't she gorgeous? Every day I am amazed at how beautiful she is.

Terry

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

View attachment 107947
Josie figuring out a new way to give Mommy kisses! My eyes are closed because that tongue was indiscriminate in its trajectory.

View attachment 107948
Josie on HER porch. Isn't she gorgeous? Every day I am amazed at how beautiful she is.

Terry

omg she is just adorable!! cute as ever!!! and also laughing because you don't just go 'sideways' with your pic, you completely upside down one... lol but it works and yes, she is beautiful :)...... AND edited to add, I took a picture of me and Hank just an hour ago just like yours :)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

View attachment 107947

View attachment 107948

Terry

She IS!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 107947

View attachment 107948

Terry

She is a beauty!!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh, what a sweet picture giving mom kisses! I wish my Tank was like this, but piglet just wants to lick and chew
his moms ears:ashamed:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.