Red Skin Scabs + Rapid Hair Loss HELP NEEDED

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 108313

I am using the Ketohex shampoo every other day. I have ordered the Collodial Silver spray and will use that every day. As you can see in the picture certain parts of it are pretty nasty. I hope it clears up and the hair can ever grow back :(

Ouch!! Has there been an antibiotic given to help ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bulldogdad34

Jul 23, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG

Vet shaved most of the area and prescribed simplicef antibiotic for 10 days.

I have the colloidal silver spray arriving today. Will use that on entire area twice a day.

Any recommendations based on the pictures?! Amazingly he doesn't seem uncomfortable. Not sure if I should continue doing the medicated bath every 48 hours?

Thank you all!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I sure hope the silver works for you.. And personally, i wouldn't wash that often unless strictly told to do so. I did 2x a week for the first week, then just once for a couple of weeks. I tried to keep dry between sprays.. Vetricyn is also good and yea, i probably alternated with that as well. Just keep a good eye on it to make sure your going in the right direction... all the best, it will heal and grow back just keep at it.

OP
B

bulldogdad34

Jul 23, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
I sure hope the silver works for you.. And personally, i wouldn't wash that often unless strictly told to do so. I did 2x a week for the first week, then just once for a couple of weeks. I tried to keep dry between sprays.. Vetricyn is also good and yea, i probably alternated with that as well. Just keep a good eye on it to make sure your going in the right direction... all the best, it will heal and grow back just keep at it.

Did you use the silver spray?

For the vetricyn which product did you use?

1) https://www.chewy.com/vetericyn-plu...VC1cNCh0YXQoXEAQYAiABEgLea_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2) https://www.chewy.com/vetericyn-plus-all-animal-hot-spot/dp/43914

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I did see the silver spray and I think it looked great. I thought I answered you sorry. And I think the veteran center plus is the one that's not just the cleaner..I would like to take a quick look but my eyes are really burning and they need to get off computer LOL OK I just looked at the one she posted and I haven't seen the jell before but heck that might be easier. But I just used the spray

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] - calcinosis cutis?
It's looking more like it from those last pics. A biopsy would be needed to tell for sure. After following Vet's recommendations, if no progress is being made then it might be time to take it to the next step.

To the OP, if continued treatment proves ineffective it may be best to do a culture. This will provide sensitivity info that will point you to the most effective antibiotic. Speak with your Vet about this.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello everyone!

Bubba is now 2 weeks post op from his tie back surgery so I can finally bathe him (couldn't get water in the stitched area prior). I have started today the Shampoo below. How often should I do it? Every day or every other day until it is resolved? Wasn't sure which?

For the ointment below this stuff STINKS. I am gagging at the thought of it all over my bed sheets! Are there any other alternatives to the nustock (maybe a spray) that has same effect (speed up hair growth and help control the wounds from skin infection?

Thank you!!!

Shampoo: Ketohex
Ointment for hot spot: Durvet NuStock

Yeap. It stinks. I could never use it because of this reason. For my bulldog good diet, dietary supplements and just shampoo twice a week worked magic in 2 months. I tried antibiotics for a year. Nothing worked long term. My shampoo contains Chlorhexidine, ketokonazol and colloidal silver. It is made by Dekalb animal hospital in Atlanta, Owner is experienced bulldog vet. The price is insane, 33 dollars for bottle, which is enough for one month, but it works and I don’t want to risk Changing it. I use for myself 7 dollar shampoo....but what can you do...

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This is staph infection. Persisted for more 5han1 year on my Tank. Causes are mixed: allergy, weak immune system, atopy. No magic potion for it. Takes long months for hair to grow back.
Despite it is an infection, don't agree for antibiotics. It's useless and destroys immune system further. We tried all possible AB, for months. I even tried Convenia, super expensive 1 time in 2 weeks injection. Improvement, but when therapy stops, relapse. After you discontinue, it will come back, because your dogs immune system isn't strong enough to beat staphylococcus.
Now we got it under control, but it took long time and a lot of effort.
1. Feeding home cooked limited ingredient diet (beef, sweet potato, lentils)
2. Supplements- high quality fish oil with high EPA and DHA content (actually now I give him human grade capsules Nordic Naturals 2 capsules a day and it works well), Nuvet vitamins, Fortiflora probiotic, from time to time I give him also human grade Vit A, Vit E and Zync tablets ( these tablets I give not regularly to avoid overdose).
3. Shampoo with Ketokonazole, Chlorhexidine and colloidal silver, 2 times a week shower with a period of 10 mins sitting covered in shampoo. How long did you use shampoo? I've seen results after couple of months of usage. And yes, guys say irritation with shampoo can occur in the beginning, but usually skin gets used to it. Just make sure you rinse really well and dry all crevices thoroughly. Under tail, behind ears, nose rope, between toes etc.
There is Duoxo foam with Chlorhexidine and Climbazole, good for the most inflamed spots.
Eat, gym, repeat:D

You will probably never be able to stop this therapy, as bulldogs are all atopics and often react with skin issues for many allergens. Food, contact, inhalant allergens. Or, hopefully, like guys say, may be with age his immune system will mature and you can discontinue usage of medicated shampoo.