Urinary infections

Debra18

Aug 30, 2017
Arkport NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
IMG_1994.JPGSo my Bruno was using Benadryl for his allergies and after a month of use he ended up with a urinary infection. He was put on antibiotics to clear up infection. Then our vet told us to use anothet allergy med called Chlorpheniramine. After a month of being on that he now has another urinary infection. Both times he had to have a catheter placed and be flushed to get the pee flowing again. Now on another round of antibiotics to clear up infection.

My question is this: after going thru this round of catheter and flushing, he now does a humping motion while trying to pee as well as the penis comes out... anyone else have this happen?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This doesn't seem right.... I think they need to do a culture to see if he has any type of stones.

going to tag a few member to get better insight for you.

Also, the humping my be that he is irritated in the penis and trying to scratch the itch. My Frenchie does this at times, we have an ointment I have to insert to clear it up.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
His urine must be tested for stones asap. If the urine is not flowing he most likely has stones and they will not go away by themselves or with antibiotics. There are a lot of ifferent type of stones and bullies unfortunately can be susceptiple to a few of them. How old is he? How much of the penis comes out? Just the tip or the whole works?

OP
D

Debra18

Aug 30, 2017
Arkport NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
IMG_3759.JPGNo stones according to ultrasound, A urinalysis was done, has crystals same as before. He has only had this happen after taking Benadryl for a month to help with Allergies, then the Chlorpheniramine for a month, he tends to break out in hives after rain storms bring out mold spores. This is the first year had any trouble with Allergies and had to use something for it. He is 3 yrs old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What is the ointment you use 2BullyMama?

Two things

Ask your vet about cytopoint for his allergies instead of using Benedryl or other stuff. Lambeau is allergic to so much environmentally and it has been wonderful for him... no side effects either.

Cheli ointment is Motomax... small drops IN twice a day as needed. It happens maybe once or twice a months.

Both items are prescription only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
What kind of food does he get and is he drinking enough water?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Benadryl and chlorpheniramine are older generation antihistamines which could possibly cause urinary retention. In future I would just use:
Cetirizine (Reactine,Zyrtec): 1 mg/kg or 10–20 mg per dog, once or twice daily

I can't see antihistamines causing urinary crystals. They should be analyzed for type and your dog should have dietary changes as appropriate. Chances are they could be struvite stones, which is caused by alkaline urine, since they are associated with urinary tract infections. Your dog would need a high protein low carb grain free potato free diet.

In the meantime it's very important to have dog drinking a lot of fluid- one way would be to mix dog food with fluid and he will lap up fluid then eat the food.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Some good probiotics to give are doggie ones such as Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC. Natural foods containing probiotics include green tripe, kefir, and sauerkraut from refrigerator section (not from regular shelf). Finally, plain low fat greek probiotic yoghurt will have bacteria, but not as much.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Odd if ultrasound shows no stones and he cant pee normal. If ultrasound is clear its for sure an irritation cause of the burning sensation. So he still has crystals?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree that it's highly unlikely that they're the cause. There is also a chance that the crystls are something else. First time my boy with Hyperuricosuria had stones his urine pH was 9 and still the stones and crystals were urates. Urates form in acidic urine. So testing is vital.

Benadryl and chlorpheniramine are older generation antihistamines which could possibly cause urinary retention. In future I would just use:
Cetirizine (Reactine,Zyrtec): 1 mg/kg or 10–20 mg per dog, once or twice daily

I can't see antihistamines causing urinary crystals. They should be analyzed for type and your dog should have dietary changes as appropriate. Chances are they could be struvite stones, which is caused by alkaline urine, since they are associated with urinary tract infections. Your dog would need a high protein low carb grain free potato free diet.

In the meantime it's very important to have dog drinking a lot of fluid- one way would be to mix dog food with fluid and he will lap up fluid then eat the food.

OP
D

Debra18

Aug 30, 2017
Arkport NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
CBrugs he is on Royal Canin Urinary SO and yes he drinks plenty of water. I know the infection came from the too much of allergy meds and his body can not process it. My vet has figured that out. He is just one of the few who can not do over the counter allergy meds.

What is different this time around after doing the catheter placement to flush him and get things flowing again has caused him to do a humping motion while peeing... that part is baffling because that didn't happen before.

OP
D

Debra18

Aug 30, 2017
Arkport NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Dollys Owner,

Tyrosine Crystals is what was found in his urine, his ph level this time was 6.3. He is eating Royal Canin Urinary SO. He does drink a lot of wate r. He was put on this food after first time of urinary infection after taking Benadryl for a month. He did 2 rounds of antibiotics and ate the new food, then had another urinalysis done which showed him clear. The vet then prescribed chlorpheniramine for his allergies, he had been on that a month while still eating the prescription diet food and ended up with another infection. He is now on another antibiotic for 3 wks after that another urinalysis will be done to see if the crystals are gone as well as the infection. I'm now leary of any allergy meds for him due to what has happened each time after 30 days of taking them. My husband found a natural remedy we made to spray on the lawn, hopefully reducing the mold spores that seem to come to surface after it rains which is usually when he'd break out in hives. He is 3 yrs old and this is the first summer this has happened with him breaking out into hives and needing any allergy meds.
The question right now is why he'd be doing a humping motion while peeing after this last catheter placement and flushing??? That didn't happen the first time.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Royal Canin is not a very good. You might want to consider switching him to something of higher quality.

I'm not sure about the humping motion while peeing...have you mentioned to vet?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.