Bugzy is bleeding a little from his...???!!!!

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
This morning i noticed a bit of blood on Bugzys blanket, he usually lays flat on it. I checked his penis and noticed it was coming out of there. He had it mixed in with his discharge. I wiped it off a couple of times till i didnt notice it anymore... he had a pinkish discharge from his penis yesterday morning but nothing during the day...I am wondering if it has anything to do with him always humping or it coming out when his going :poo: and he rubs it on the ground...Has anyone experienced this before with their male bully's:confused: help any advice!!???!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
no experience whatsoever but maybe a bladder infection? I am sure you will get much better help tho. Hope he is ok. He is acting fine I take it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have only seen greenish yellow discharge. Maybe it is a UTI?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We actually noticed this with Frank the other day. We just figured it was because it is out a lot and he might have scratched it on something, especially when he is outside. We just closely watched him and didn't see anything the next day. And he was acting completely normal, eating and drinking and everything. Maybe just keep an eye on him....?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
It might be some sort of infection because of the color of the discharge. I would suggest having him checked by the vet just to make sure it isnt anything bad.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yowtch!

In my three boys, I've never seen blood on their genitals. I agree with the posts above that suggest it might be a UTI. Is he urinating more than normal? Trying to go but nothing comes out?

I suppose it could well be that he scraped or did something while playing or peeing but since it's a "hard to keep clean" area, I would definitely keep a close eye on things because any kind of cut or scrape could easily get infected there.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
If you didn't notice that he is peeing more, I would say he just bumped it. All 4 of my males that I owned at one time or another had a little blood on the end of their penis from getting bumped. If it continues, then there is a problem.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=1578]NICASFINEST[/MENTION] I found this with a search:

Bleeding from penis - German Shepherd

Question: Dear Dr. Michael, I am having a problem with my GSD "K-9". He is 3 years old and for about 4 months ago he was used as a stud. Now for abut 2 1/2 weeks ago he started to bleed, red fresh blood drops from his penis. I took him to the vet and I got some antibiotic and she gave him anti-inflammatory injection. He stopped bleeding after 3 days while taking the antibiotic. 2 days after the 7 days couse was finished he started again and with more blood droppes than before. Took him again to the vet same antibiotic and anti-inflammatory tablets. The vet wanted to check K-9 with some instruments (don;t know the name) but they don;t have it here. The vet said since it is red blood it must come from the end not further in, which makes sense. The vet is not able to do any further tests that's is the reasons for why I contact you. What could it be? What should I look for? (He dose not have pain when he is urinating and there is no blood in the urine). Please note I do like my vet she has helped me in many situations but this time I'm a little worried since it dose not seam to clear up and she has not got the facilities needed. Looking forward to your advise. Thanks, Maggie

Answer: Maggie- There are two things to think about when bleeding occurs from the penis. The first is an injury to the penis or some other part of the urinary tract leading to the hemorrhage. The second is a bleeding disorder that is affecting the entire dog but showing up as bleeding from the penis. It is important to note that occasional instances of small amounts of bleeding from the penis (several drops but enough to be noticeable) are not highly unusual in intact male dogs and often do not seem to cause any significant problems. This is especially true when they are aware of a female in heat but not able to breed with her. It sounds like you are seeing more bleeding than this, though. The most common problem leading to bleeding in intact male dogs is almost certainly prostate disease. The prostate can be palpated in dogs by rectal palpation and if the prostate is greatly enlarged it would increase the likelihood of prostatic problems as the cause of the observed bleeding. The antibiotics are a good choice in this case. Prostate infections are often poorly responsive to antibiotics and they must be used for long periods of time in some dogs to get control of the infections --- it is not unusual to have to use antibiotics for 6 to 8 weeks. Prostate hypertrophy in the absence of infection also occurs and can lead to bleeding from the penis. I think that this is probably the major reason that we see occasional bleeding episodes in some male dogs who never really seem to be ill from the problem. This is especially true of young male dogs who are sexually frustrated by the presence of a female in heat. Injuries to the penis are not too unusual in dogs that have learned to masturbate in response to sexual frustration. It is a good idea to examine the penis for signs of injury whenever bleeding is seen. We have also seen injuries to the prepuce that were difficult to locate, including one dog who had managed to fun over a stick in just the right path to push it several inches into his sheath, where it caused a great deal of hemorrhage but was not visible. Bleeding disorders are not especially common in dogs but German shepherds are one of the breeds that is prone to these problems, since there is a higher than usual rate of hemophilia in GSDs. Checking for a bleeding disorder with a coagulation profile or bleeding time tests would be reasonable. It does help to have access to an ultrasound machine when the prostate is suspected to be the problem but it is reasonable to just treat for the problems that can be treated for and hope for the best when access to this type of testing is limited. Good luck with this. Mike Richards, DVM 3/10/2001

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am of no help .... our male lab - Bear has never suffered from anything like this. So far, neither has daddy!!

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Maybe he has broken some blood vessels while humping, over stimulation. Antibiotics may help with the problem.Can you take away the objects of his affection for acouple days?

OP
NICASFINEST

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
He is acting normal still full of energy, he only seems to bleed from the tip when he is asleep and laying flat on the floor...so am going to keep observing him and if it gets worse ill have to take him to the vet tomorrow...his urine comes out normal...
[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] i read that article too and hope its just something that happens and nothing to worry about...cross our fingers:pray:
thanks guys ill keep u posted...

OP
NICASFINEST

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
@bjs farm i havent seen him act different or have to pee more than usual or act like he has to but nothing comes out so i am really hoping that it is just a bump or scratch!! ill cross my fingers n hope it goes away.... how long did the blood on the tip of their penis last?

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
He is acting normal still full of energy, he only seems to bleed from the tip when he is asleep and laying flat on the floor...so am going to keep observing him and if it gets worse ill have to take him to the vet tomorrow...his urine comes out normal...
[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] i read that article too and hope its just something that happens and nothing to worry about...cross our fingers:pray:
thanks guys ill keep u posted...

You posted this yesterday...and it's not changed...still the same amount? I am to much of a worrier. I would just take him in to be seen for peace of mind. A check up isn't all together that expensive. And...worth the peace of mind. For if it would be a problem...I would think the sooner it was dealt with. The less chance of complications. But...that's just me. I like to have a firm answer when it comes to medical things with my babies who can't tell me what's going wrong.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.