Complications after Soft Palate Surgery in Dogs?

Baxter Tiberius

Apr 16, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
baxter
Hi all -

Decided to finally get the Palate surgery for Baxter as he has pretty bad sleep apnea, and his throat closed up one day when we were playing outside.

Im wondering if its normal for him to be vomiting and gagging on phlegm like crazy a couple weeks after the surgery. He tends to "retch" about a half hour after eating, when I assume his meal is starting to digest and expand in his stomach (kibble).

He will sit there swallowing really really hard, over and over like it hurts, but shows no pain, and after swallowing tons of air from that, he will sometimes just vomit the whole thing out, which is a pile of foam usually.

Here's a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yiP9l9Tyo

I've called the doctor and they said as long as he isn't repeatedly vomiting or aspirating he should be fine, and as long as his appetite and mood are unchanged its normal. All those things are fine. But he does not look comfortable constantly gagging and "Hacking" every so often, and retching ....

I expected this the first week but not now that we are well past 2 weeks post-surgery.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I couldn't get your video to work, it kept loading for me... I will try again later. Both my dogs had the palate surgery, and it does take some time for the throat to heal... I remember them making weird noises for awhile. Maybe you should try to add warm water to his kibble to make it soft, or give him frequent smaller meals... see if that helps w/the gagging.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all -

Decided to finally get the Palate surgery for Baxter as he has pretty bad sleep apnea, and his throat closed up one day when we were playing outside.

Im wondering if its normal for him to be vomiting and gagging on phlegm like crazy a couple weeks after the surgery. He tends to "retch" about a half hour after eating, when I assume his meal is starting to digest and expand in his stomach (kibble).

He will sit there swallowing really really hard, over and over like it hurts, but shows no pain, and after swallowing tons of air from that, he will sometimes just vomit the whole thing out, which is a pile of foam usually.

I've called the doctor and they said as long as he isn't repeatedly vomiting or aspirating he should be fine, and as long as his appetite and mood are unchanged its normal. All those things are fine. But he does not look comfortable constantly gagging and "Hacking" every so often, and retching ....

I expected this the first week but not now that we are well past 2 weeks post-surgery.

I would send this video to your vet and keep Baxter on diet / soft food till he is fully back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
That does NOT look normal. Your vet need to see that. Try feeding him soft wet food, and feed him elevated so the food can go down easier. That's concerning to me, I'd be back at the vet.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I agree - get him to the vet now and anything you serve needs to be soft.

For a week or so after soft-palate surgery we gave Castor boiled rice and chicken (boil for 40 mins or so and in extra water so that you can serve a soup-like bland meal after it has cooled down. Divide the chicken (no bones) in small pieces).

To soak kibble pour boiling water over the kibble in the serving bowl (enough to cover the kibble) and wait until cool. Do not serve anything warn.

Thelongwayhome

Aug 12, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruger
Hi all -

I just had my 6 month old French Bulldog go through the same surgery. He is doing exactly the same thing at 2 weeks. We are so worried. What ever happened with yours? And if he got over it, how long did it take? Mine looks like the video you added.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I just had my 6 month old French Bulldog go through the same surgery. He is doing exactly the same thing at 2 weeks. We are so worried. What ever happened with yours? And if he got over it, how long did it take? Mine looks like the video you added.

Hsve you talked to the vet about this? What is the dog eating now? It might be difficult for him to eat his normal food right after surgery. If you serve bland food (see my post above) and he still has trouble eating, I would take him to the vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Agree... get back to vet for a check

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Totally agree-have the vet SEE your Frenchie! [MENTION=18536]Thelongwayhome[/MENTION]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
What ever happened with yours? And if he got over it, how long did it take? Mine looks like the video you added.
I cannot speak directly for BaxterTiberius but I would assume that Baxter recovered in time. The OP posted about 3 months later that he was going to move to another country and was venting about Airlinesnot accepting Bulldogs in the cabin area or the cargo area so how was he going to be able to take his dog with him. That was his last post. I'm hoping that he and his Bulldog are living happily somewhere.
Concerning your bully, follow the aforementioned advice...it's all good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.