Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Hi all,

Apologies for not being around for a while! I'd love to do a full update and catch up but we got a situation here, and the vets closed until tomorrow.

So, sometimes Reggie is sick in the morning. Its always before he eats, just yellow bile. Vet said mild gastric (acid) reflux, but seeing as its not a regular occurrence we didnt want him on long term meds. Vet agreed.

Here is how this morning went -

9am - I got up, opened Reggie's crate. He usually comes straight out but was lazy this morning.
10am - I had his food ready, which is kibble mixed with scrambled egg as we are almost at the end of a food changeover period. He only got up when he heard the tinkle of kibble in his bowl. Ate as normal.
10.15 - Walk. Pee and poop normal.
10.30 - He threw up his food. There were 3 vomits between now and 11am.
11.15am - He needed another walk, pooped again. Slightly better than soft serve, but not firm like earlier.

I spoke to the vet in the afternoon, she still thinks acid reflux. I did question that because he'd vomited his food, but she thinks that was probably because he got up and had food straight away. And that the softish serve poop may have been stress.
So her advice, which we followed, was to withhold water for 6 hrs and food for 12. Then do bland food, 1 handful. If he kept that down, then bland food tomorrow a handful at a time every hour or two.

So we gave him one handful of scrambled egg and rice about 15 minutes ago, and he's just thrown it all up. 3 individual vomits. Obviously we are not going to feed him again tonight, and will book an appointment for tomorrow (luckily Sundays are regular days for our vets, so no emergency charge!).

But she didn't give me any advice on what it could mean if he throws up the bland food. Any ideas??
He is a bit lethargic, not sure if that's because he's had no food, or because he's unwell. Although he has been trying to play with Kev, we know he needs to take it easy so have not been playing back.
He has also had 2 more poops through the day. Both firm and normal colour etc, but very small. But then he can hardly have anything left in his poor tummy!

I say this every time, but sorry for the super long post!! And all advice greatly appreciated :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just as I clicked post he has just thrown up the water he drank 10 mins ago :(

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Darned if this stuff doesnt happen on closed times.. with my shih tzus, I had to make sure I fed them in the evening or they would puke in the morning that yellow bile. I was told the empty stomach and if I waited too long in the morning, I would get some more .. sounds like more than that is going on with yours. And I can't think of a thing to help I'm sorry. I hope someone comes on soon ..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all,

Apologies for not being around for a while! I'd love to do a full update and catch up but we got a situation here, and the vets closed until tomorrow.

So, sometimes Reggie is sick in the morning. Its always before he eats, just yellow bile. Vet said mild gastric (acid) reflux, but seeing as its not a regular occurrence we didnt want him on long term meds. Vet agreed.

Here is how this morning went -

9am - I got up, opened Reggie's crate. He usually comes straight out but was lazy this morning.
10am - I had his food ready, which is kibble mixed with scrambled egg as we are almost at the end of a food changeover period. He only got up when he heard the tinkle of kibble in his bowl. Ate as normal.
10.15 - Walk. Pee and poop normal.
10.30 - He threw up his food. There were 3 vomits between now and 11am.
11.15am - He needed another walk, pooped again. Slightly better than soft serve, but not firm like earlier.

I spoke to the vet in the afternoon, she still thinks acid reflux. I did question that because he'd vomited his food, but she thinks that was probably because he got up and had food straight away. And that the softish serve poop may have been stress.
So her advice, which we followed, was to withhold water for 6 hrs and food for 12. Then do bland food, 1 handful. If he kept that down, then bland food tomorrow a handful at a time every hour or two.

So we gave him one handful of scrambled egg and rice about 15 minutes ago, and he's just thrown it all up. 3 individual vomits. Obviously we are not going to feed him again tonight, and will book an appointment for tomorrow (luckily Sundays are regular days for our vets, so no emergency charge!).

But she didn't give me any advice on what it could mean if he throws up the bland food. Any ideas??
He is a bit lethargic, not sure if that's because he's had no food, or because he's unwell. Although he has been trying to play with Kev, we know he needs to take it easy so have not been playing back.
He has also had 2 more poops through the day. Both firm and normal colour etc, but very small. But then he can hardly have anything left in his poor tummy!

I say this every time, but sorry for the super long post!! And all advice greatly appreciated :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just as I clicked post he has just thrown up the water he drank 10 mins ago :(

Anything change... weather, food, anything in house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Hankster, it could be that he has an empty stomach in the morning, it sometimes happens to Dozer if he goes too long between dinner and breakfast. He'll throw up some yellow bile. I will usually give him a plain rice cake in the evening if I think this will happen and he's usually okay. Could he have possibly eaten something that he shouldn't have? I hope Reggie is okay, and he feels better soon. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi, I agree with Hankster, it could be that he has an empty stomach in the morning, it sometimes happens to Dozer if he goes too long between dinner and breakfast. He'll throw up,some yellow bile. I will usually give him a plain rice cake in the evening if I think this will happen and he's usually okay. Could he have possibly eaten something that he shouldn't have?i hope Reggie is okay, and he feels better soon. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.
Jewel suffers from empty stomach syndrome. We feed Jewel and Bentley 3 times a day spaced out. We also give Jewel 20 mg of Famotidine which is the active ingredient in Pepcid when she pukes. If going to buy, check the ingredients and make sure it is only Famotidine as the active ingredient. Pepcid has other products (i.e. Pepcid Complete) that has other ingredients. I hope Reggie is feeling better soon.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I, like Roger, feed my dogs three times a day. Last time is a little bit of dog food, with one or two tbsp. of yogurt. It seems like many bullies have empty stomach syndrome in the a.m. I don't think vomiting up the food you give him is related. I am hoping he did not swallow something he should not have. Please let us know what your vet says. @Reggies Parents I have used famitodine for dogs with sensitive tummies.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hoping to hear from you soon... We get concerned about our friends here ;) hope He's good now..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.