Help Needed! Inflamed dew claw???

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their bully's dew claw being infected or swollen. If so, what was the issue and how did you remedy it?
I am attaching a photo of my Ally's paw so perhaps someone could give me a little bit of advice or their thoughts.
She is 9 years old, is on Appoquel and Zyrtec consistently, and has been on cephelexin for a little over 3 weeks. (Was informed yo keep her on it for a good 2 weeks after it clears up to be sure it's healed)
Any info on others experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much....
b69f61e32245848a0f618f750f5f3bd0.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy... I would tend to want to soak in a diluted betadine solution or use some Vetricyn on it... Just seems like the healing would be faster??

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor had a problem with his dew claw a few months ago. I posted about it here one the forum (here is the thread), and we got lots of good advice! We actually ended up doing nothing, because before we got to the vet, Castor's dew claw fell off and he has had no problems with it since.

Looking at your photo, I think Ally's dew claw looks more swollen that Castor's did, so perhaps you should have a vet look at it? Good luck!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Does look really swollen, other than doing some soaks in warm Epsom, I'd think you may need to see a vet, perhaps its infection and needs some antibiotics.

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
I do have some betadine and will try a soak in that.... I've been doing soaks in a water/unfiltered apple cider vinegar solution and spraying the Vetricyn hydro gel on it.

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Thank you... I'll check out that thread. Part of her nail has fallen off, but the swelling is ongoing.

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Thank you so much for your response.... someone suggested betadine soak, and I have used an apple cider vinegar soak along with Vetricyn hydro gel. She is on antibiotics, cephalexin, and is starting her 4th week now, but it doesn't look much better. I was expecting a little more progress by now????

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you so much for your response.... someone suggested betadine soak, and I have used an apple cider vinegar soak along with Vetricyn hydro gel. She is on antibiotics, cephalexin, and is starting her 4th week now, but it doesn't look much better. I was expecting a little more progress by now????

It sounds like you have everything and more than I would have thought... I sometimes if needed alternate the acv and then later a betadine soak. As of late, because hank has interdigital cysts right now, have put the diluted betadine in a 'like' katchup bottle with pointy top, and take each foot and squirt it in and then circle around and do again. Prob not as good as a soak but at least he's not fighting me to drink it :/ For the acv I actually have lots (Costco) so I put an inch or so of wqater in his play pool and a dumpload of acv in there and he sips, dips, and sometimes lays in it... that may sound gross but that's what I do ;)

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
No, that doesn't sound gross... LOL! I've done more things that other people would probably describe as "gross" since I own 3 bulldogs than I care to imagine, ha! Thank you for the idea about putting the solution in a squirt bottle or something, I think I'll try that. Right now I put the acv solution in a tupperware type container and dunk/soak each of her paws in separately. She acts like I'm trying to kill her! She's so dramatic.... anything that makes this whole healing process easier I will try! Thanks again....

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
No, that doesn't sound gross... LOL! I've done more things that other people would probably describe as "gross" since I own 3 bulldogs than I care to imagine, ha! Thank you for the idea about putting the solution in a squirt bottle or something, I think I'll try that. Right now I put the acv solution in a tupperware type container and dunk/soak each of her paws in separately. She acts like I'm trying to kill her! She's so dramatic.... anything that makes this whole healing process easier I will try! Thanks again....

haha, funny! they DO get awful at times and that's why I did the acv in the pool... fun fun fun ;) I also use a metal oil pan thing for the betadine sometimes so he can just step in and stand. He loves water so that part is easy..... keeping him from sitting or laying in it is not :/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their bully's dew claw being infected or swollen. If so, what was the issue and how did you remedy it?
I am attaching a photo of my Ally's paw so perhaps someone could give me a little bit of advice or their thoughts.
She is 9 years old, is on Appoquel and Zyrtec consistently, and has been on cephelexin for a little over 3 weeks. (Was informed yo keep her on it for a good 2 weeks after it clears up to be sure it's healed)
Any info on others experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much....
b69f61e32245848a0f618f750f5f3bd0.jpg

It almost looks like a hotspot on the claw.... I would try, if you can to shave the area and then do the soaks that have been recommended. I'm wondering if removing the fur will clear the area of all dirt and get the meds in and let the air dry it up.

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
It almost looks like a hotspot on the claw.... I would try, if you can to shave the area and then do the soaks that have been recommended. I'm wondering if removing the fur will clear the area of all dirt and get the meds in and let the air dry it up.

That's a wonderful idea, thank you. It makes total sense to remove the hair so that the soaks/meds can be more effective.... I just have to keep a cone on her to keep her from licking it all the time. And she looks so mad at me when I put it on her!☹️
3b910ac024b350a1cd2e54533ac9dd83.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That's a wonderful idea, thank you. It makes total sense to remove the hair so that the soaks/meds can be more effective.... I just have to keep a cone on her to keep her from licking it all the time. And she looks so mad at me when I put it on her!☹️
3b910ac024b350a1cd2e54533ac9dd83.jpg

What a beautiful girl... such a sweet face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MrMrsDevilDoc

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Just a quick update on my Ally and her dewclaw.... I took her to the vet on Monday and the vet has given her prednisone to reduce the swelling and it's already helping I believe.... here's a picture of what it looks like only a day and a half of being on it:
026955c8fc0405da51fb92c48eebe463.jpg

Thanks to everyone who responded and gave me tips, I really appreciate it!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a quick update on my Ally and her dewclaw.... I took her to the vet on Monday and the vet has given her prednisone to reduce the swelling and it's already helping I believe.... here's a picture of what it looks like only a day and a half of being on it:
026955c8fc0405da51fb92c48eebe463.jpg

Thanks to everyone who responded and gave me tips, I really appreciate it!

Do they know what it is?

Thanks for the update... good to see she is healing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.