twiggy0248

Aug 20, 2017
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
twiggy
Hi all!

I am new to the site but would like some opinions/help.

My bully is 6 years old. She had entropion eye surgery on wednesday 8/16 on both eyes. She had an ulcer on her cornea from continual scratching of the eyelashes, hence why we went ahead with the surgery. We saw a specialized vet who works with bulldogs and runs our local bulldog rescue group. He has performed a luxating patella surgery on her as well last year with great results.

The vet is closed today so wanted to get others experience. Since her surgery her bottom eyelash line has been extremely goopy. Much more than normal, to the point where she can barely open them when she wakes up. She eats like normal, has not been drinking but I've managed to add some to her food. She's been urinating normally, but has not had a bowel since Thursday. I assume due to surgery and anesthetics this is normal. I have been trying to gently wipe away some of the eye goop but because of the sutures it is hard to remove them and I am afraid I will hurt her if I keep touching it. After endlessly googling and reading others experience, I have been getting nervous because I do not see anyone else talking about the eyes being very goopy and crusty after surgery. After researching, my fear is that the vet could have removed too much skin and caused ectropion, which is why there is discharge. I am not an expert in this field, and I do not know a lot about the eye issues because this was new to us, so I am hoping I am wrong.

She is taking antibiotics, as well as drops and ointment for the eyes. She is wearing a soft cone to prevent itching.

She seems very depressed. She won't walk and only briefly goes outside, but otherwise has just been sleeping since surgery. This all could be normal after surgery, but the other forums I have read people were saying there dog was acting normal the next day and now I am getting worried.

PLEASE PLEASE! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be contacting the vet tomorrow, but until then for some peace of mind I would love feedback.

Thank you!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You could alternate warm /cool compress to help loosen the goop and sooth the incision .
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

twiggy0248

Aug 20, 2017
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
twiggy
Yes! I've been trying to do that, but to no avail. Its really crusted in there. The gooey discharge she is creating is in the eye and when i go to get it she holds her eye tightly shut making it impossible. I am driving myself crazy!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17517]twiggy0248[/MENTION] I have 2 dogs that had entropion surgery on both their eyes. Other than having to wear the cone, they had no discharge,never missed a meal and went on normally for 2 weeks until the stitches were out. Very happy to get the cone off. Having discharge from the eye,to me, does need to be looked at-but I err on the side of caution. Mine did not have antibiotics, or drops, but am assuming that is for the ulcer.

OP
T

twiggy0248

Aug 20, 2017
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
twiggy
I forgot to mention she had 3 teeth extracted at the same time of the surgery- hence oral antibiotics! But I'm hoping the antibiotics also help incase the eye is getting infected or there is an issue. Not sure if it can get infected that fast especially while on oral antibiotic and ointment? I would be shocked if the vet removed too much skin because he is specialize with these dogs and has done the surgery 100s of times. But I don't know why else it would be discharging and crusting like this

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Mine also had the surgery, no cone, and did fine, but,,,,,,, there was a day or two that I really watched as there was some goop and didn't want it to build., but that was it.. Your guy may just need it flushed out but yep, I would have checked if it is still looking to be more than you think it should be. Those visits are usually just 're checks' with no charge...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes! I've been trying to do that, but to no avail. Its really crusted in there. The gooey discharge she is creating is in the eye and when i go to get it she holds her eye tightly shut making it impossible. I am driving myself crazy!!

I always forget [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] has experience with this.

I would get to the vet in the morning and have the eye flushed to ensure there are no issues . She could be in pain from the tooth extraction which maybe causing her not to eat. Try some bland diet and see if she takes to that

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
ok, didn't see the 'tooth' part. My shih tzus always had a rough time with teeth extractions. I would think that would be whats causing the non eating part of it, and the need for antibiotics.

OP
T

twiggy0248

Aug 20, 2017
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
twiggy
Thank you for the responses!!! I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know if the entropion surgery and the lasering of the eyelashes would cause excessive eye goop? Greenish white discharge from the bottom inner of the eyes

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if the entropion surgery and the lasering of the eyelashes would cause excessive eye goop? Greenish white discharge from the bottom inner of the eyes

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I knew... i have no experience with this surgery and tagged those I know di.

Please keep us posted and try , if you can, to keep the eyes clean.. hopefully the compresses will help get you through the night

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
My main concern is her not having a BM since the surgery. The Vet can clean the eyes and get them sorted easy enough but she may also benefit from an enema, vet administered, of course.
Your vet will get her back on track tomorrow...in the mean time, love her like she deserves.

OP
T

twiggy0248

Aug 20, 2017
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
twiggy
Thank you everyone! Taking her in tomorrow at 9 AM. Fingers crossed it isn't anything serious :-( Will keep you updated

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sorry I'm late on a response... my Walter had the laser surgery, and he never had any goopy discharge. In fact the only thing that I really remember is his eye being red the first day after his surgery.

I agree w/Chip... contact the vet and see what he says. The BM would be a major concern at this point...

OP
T

twiggy0248

Aug 20, 2017
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
twiggy
How did it go???

The vet said she might be having a bad reaction to the sutures. He is taking them out saturday. He said he isn't worried about the surgery. He said theres no way he would have taken too much skin and if anything he might not have taken enough. The goop and swelling he thought was most likely from her being extra sensitive to the sutures. He was more concerned that her left eye was still wincing because we did the surgery specifically to remove any irritants from the eyes (the eyelashes). So there should no longer be anything there to bother them after the surgery. He thought maybe she still had an ulcer, but He stained both eyes and didn't see any active ulcers on either eye. He gave her a shot to help with inflammation of the sutures around the eyes. We got more eye drops for the eyes and we also got tranquilizers to help her sleep because she is getting really itchy as the sutures heal. Suture removal and follow up Saturday so fingers crossed once those are out she is feeling better. She finally had a BM yesterday! and went on her first walk today. The soft cone has been amazing, SO much better than the e collar they gave us after surgery! Will give a final update! Hopefully good news Saturday :-)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.