Tearstains?

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. We are new bully owners and I've read about milk of magnesia paste w/cornstarch and giving them benadryl but I am not interested in either of these. I bought tear stain solution and trying that. I have also read about giving them distilled water and changing them to a food that doesn't have beets or copper in it. I can't find any in my area. So far i've just used cornstarch in the wrinkles on his face and the tear stain removing solution. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4499 (1).jpg
    IMG_4499 (1).jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4688.jpg
    IMG_4688.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 111

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
other options you can try are good quality grain and corn free dog food, angel eyes, cornstarch mixed with hydrogen peroxide, maseleb wipes, or cleaning daily with warm cloth.

I have only gotten rid of the tear stains on one dog, still working on the other two..... and then the puppies started to get tear stains a little bit, but I switched them to Canidae and now they have none.

The dog food is what worked on getting rid of them on Molly. Switched her to Avoderm Lamb & Rice.

Switched Jesse to Royal Canine Bulldog- no change. Still has tear stains, but that food also contains beet powder.

Just now switching Mandy's food to Avoderm low calorie.

Last edited:

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Tum's.....change's the pH of your dogs system to aid in preventing yeast or infection then Tums is primarily a source of Calcium, known as an antacid formulated as 500 mg Calcium Carbonate. Giving your Bulldog 1/2 of the Fruit flavored variety twice a day will help change the pH of the tears. . It 100% works (at least on mine) but you will still have the wetness around the eyes. Also a teaspoon of vinegar in the water also does the same thing. Always consult your veterinarian first but remember they don't deal with bulldogs as much as we do so sometimes they won't be aware of some of the things we bulldoggers do. Good Luck. The Tums works and gets rid of the rust color for sure. It takes a few weeks to a month to change. Don't use Calcium or vinegar on pregnant bitches.....

Speedbeegle

May 26, 2010
Western NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Tobias K. Smith
Toby get the canidae food also but his secret is his non EB brother keeps them and his eyes clean. Here I thought it was the brother but maybe it's the food. I had been contemplating changing food but guess it's gonna be ok.

Zenscarboncopy

Apr 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Zen Kingston
We just wipe Zen's eyes and wrinkles every morning and night with the aloe baby wipes. He has never had tearstains so we figure its the wipes. It may be just him but we feed him normal pet store food, that all 5 other dogs eat and give them bottled water, so no mixing, measuring, concocting, etc...

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Thank you everyone. I was told to get Avoderm from another breeder so I need to look at where I can get my hands on some and try. What else would Tums do to them besides the PH? Are there any other side effects or long term problems with using that on them?

Appreciate all the feedback.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
horse's tear stains dissappeared within a week of switching him to a high quality food, we feed him Nature's Logic (it's hard to find, but we're lucky that a small local dog store carries it!) it's amazing the changes we've seen in horse since switching to a good, quality food! i've been gathering my pictures of him before and after the food switch, he looks like a different dog! will post them soon!

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
horse's tear stains dissappeared within a week of switching him to a high quality food, we feed him Nature's Logic (it's hard to find, but we're lucky that a small local dog store carries it!) it's amazing the changes we've seen in horse since switching to a good, quality food! i've been gathering my pictures of him before and after the food switch, he looks like a different dog! will post them soon!

Please do! I would love another story for the "Dog Food Then & Now" page :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Had never heard of the tums either and am curious to try it. My boys stains arent bad but they are there slightly so I may as well try this. :)

Members online

No members online now.