Laryngeal collapse Help Needed!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for all the replies!

We have been sent home with doxeprin (primarily used in humans).

There have been some exciting results in regards to this in recent months.

Debatable whether this works in all cases and also bubba has laryngeal collapse. Many of these articles mention laryngeal paralysis with doxperin but the vet said it is worth a shot!... thoughts?

See below...
Currently there is anecdotal evidence that a drug called Doxepin may help some dogs with laryngeal paralysis, although the mechanism of action isn't fully understood. Doxepin is a human antidepressant that has some antihistamine effects and is useful in some dogs with chronic skin problems from allergies. In the course of using it for that purpose, some veterinarians are reporting that dogs with laryngeal paralysis seem to be well-controlled in their breathing problems while on it.

To my knowledge, there have been no studies using Doxepin for this purpose, so it is off-label, and your veterinarian may not be aware of this drug or this use of it. If your veterinarian has access to the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) he/she can do a quick search on it.

Keep in mind it may or may not help your dog but may be worth a trial as a possible simple solution. I have personally tried it in 3 patients so far for this purpose and all 3 improved greatly, and one owner even called specifically to tell me the drug had given her "a new dog" just when she was considering euthanasia. That dog relapsed when she failed to renew the prescription, but is well-controlled again so long as she gets the drug.

Melinda R. Burgwardt, DVM
Melinda R. Burgwardt, DVM
Lancaster, NY

Welcome to EBN .... I have no experience with this but know it can be common with Bulldogs.... sending lots of positive thoughts for your Bubba boy. Please keep us posted and let us see his handsome face with some pictures.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for the problems with your baby. I have no experience with this and I hope the meds you have him on will continue to help.

OP
B

bulldogdad34

Jul 23, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
One vet has recommended we try a "tie back" surgery for Bubbas laryngeal collapse.

Anyone have any experience with this surgery?

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Awww I have no experience here but I'm sorry ur going threw this and wish u the best hope all is well soooon

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
One vet has recommended we try a "tie back" surgery for Bubbas laryngeal collapse.

Anyone have any experience with this surgery?

No experience... sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bulldogdad34

Jul 23, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Just an update....

We have taken Bubba home today. He had the tie back surgery yesterday to open up half his airway. So far he is resting comfortably at night. Only will really know the results after 1-2 weeks (when inflammation dies down and he is off the surgery). He has a pretty gnarly incision on the side of his neck. I guess they don't call them Bulldogs for nothing. These dogs are real troopers!

I will take comfort in knowing I did everything possible to extend his life and improve his comfort regardless of what happens from here on out.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Just an update....

We have taken Bubba home today. He had the tie back surgery yesterday to open up half his airway. So far he is resting comfortably at night. Only will really know the results after 1-2 weeks (when inflammation dies down and he is off the surgery). He has a pretty gnarly incision on the side of his neck. I guess they don't call them Bulldogs for nothing. These dogs are real troopers!

I will take comfort in knowing I did everything possible to extend his life and improve his comfort regardless of what happens from here on out.

Thanks for update and now prayers for good healing. Your a great bulldog parent.. I hope he gives you more laughs and love.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17412]bulldogdad34[/MENTION] I read your other post-before I saw this.....as I stated, I would definitely get probiotics for his food, as his immune system is probably compromised from the stress/surgery. Rubbing NuStock on places affected,should help. I am happy to hear that he has come through his surgery,and prayers:pray: for his recovery and and success. You are a wonderful Dad, and have certainly done everything for your Bubba. Thank you for letting us know, we appreciate it! Go Bubba-get well soon!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
@Manydogs thank you for your kind words.

For anyone interested here is a great study to give hope to bulldogs suffering from this HORRIBLE condition....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22122300
first off, excellent reference of primary literature.
second, we've been through palate surgery twice with Lola and the next formal diagnosis will be a collapsed larynx, I think it's in its way. She's doing better now that the surgery for the palate/saccule removal is healed, and she's on a diet. please keep us posted on bubba's healing. is he still on the doxepin too?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.