Josie has lost the fur on one eyebrow... why?

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
IMG_9713.JPG

I realize it's not a very good picture so I will try for a better one in the morning. You can tell the eyebrow on the left side of the photo is a bit pinker looking, this is due to the fact the fur has fallen out. She is 51/2 months old, has had all her shots and tests, started on Heartguard and Frontline Plus last month. She gets a dry kibble with fresh turkey or chicken added, she was getting salmon but it gave her diarrhea so vet suggested I stop giving it to her.

There are no sores, it is not dry or crusty or anything. It's not itchy nor bumpy looks like perfectly healthy skin minus the fur. It's been there a few weeks and doesn't appear to be spreading. What could it be?

At first I thought she had rubbed off the fur since she was using her head to butt the side of her xpen when she got excited and wanted out to play with Callie. I thought maybe that caused the fur to get rubbed off. But now I'm not so sure as I no longer use the one and the fur hasn't grown back.

She is healthy, not itchy in any way has no other sores or bare spots, eats her food, runs and plays just minus an eyebrow. Will the fur eventually grow back or should I be concerned?

Any help would be appreciated.

T

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since she is under a year... I always think mange when a puppy has a loss if fur.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 107138

I realize it's not a very good picture so I will try for a better one in the morning. You can tell the eyebrow on the left side of the photo looking, this is due to the fact the fur has fallen out. She is 51/2 months old, has had all her shots and tests, started on Heartguard and Frontline Plus last month. She gets a dry kibble with fresh turkey or chicken added, she was getting salmon but it gave her diarrhea so vet suggested I stop giving it to her.

There are no sores, it is not dry or crusty or anything. It's not itchy nor bumpy looks like perfectly healthy skin minus the fur. It's been there a few weeks and doesn't appear to be spreading. What could it be?

At first I thought she had rubbed off the fur since she was using her head to butt the side of her xpen when she got excited and wanted out to play with Callie. I thought maybe that caused the fur to get rubbed off. But now I'm not so sure as I no longer use the one and the fur hasn't grown back.

She is healthy, not itchy in any way has no other sores or bare spots, eats her food, runs and plays just minus an eyebrow. Will the fur eventually grow back or should I be concerned?Any help would be appreciated.T

Why just one eyebrow is odd. Did you looked very carefully eleswhere? Im having same issue with Duke. Started 2 months ago between this shoulder blades just like a couple tiny bald spots. Like yours, absolutely nothing but no hair. I would see this in the sunlight only while he's walking. Now it has gone all the way to the tail n side of his face. In his case its puppy stress. According to the breeder and then the vet confirmed it later, it's stress. Should be the other way around as he stresses me lollll. I dont know what yours has so im not going to diagnosis as im not a vet. The breeder said no matter what it will grow back. When? No one knows. The breeder did say to get NuStock n Advantage Multi (dewormed/tick) even though he's up to date in everything, she stated very well advantage multi as the others do not cover all worms. Seems it will help grow fur a bit faster along with NuStock. Like yours, he eats raw n Acana. This has nothing to do with food. You would need to have her looked ate by the vet. I have 2 vets but for things like this I see my holistic vet so 7 dont get vets pushing meds when it's not necessary. Im telling you this incase something you miss or sounds the same. You would still need to have your pup checked. Btw Duke is almost 6 months old.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Advantage Multi will cover mange and MOST worms and fleas, but not tapeworms or ticks . If you are worried about tapeworms you could just use a Interceptor Spectrum or Sentinel Spectrum pill instead of Advantage Multi once monthly to cover ALL worms, but then you would have to add Nexgard or Bravecto to cover the mange and ticks and fleas.

Why just one eyebrow is odd. Did you looked very carefully eleswhere? Im having same issue with Duke. Started 2 months ago between this shoulder blades just like a couple tiny bald spots. Like yours, absolutely nothing but no hair. I would see this in the sunlight only while he's walking. Now it has gone all the way to the tail n side of his face. In his case its puppy stress. According to the breeder and then the vet confirmed it later, it's stress. Should be the other way around as he stresses me lollll. I dont know what yours has so im not going to diagnosis as im not a vet. The breeder said no matter what it will grow back. When? No one knows. The breeder did say to get NuStock n Advantage Multi (dewormed/tick) even though he's up to date in everything, she stated very well advantage multi as the others do not cover all worms. Seems it will help grow fur a bit faster along with NuStock. Like yours, he eats raw n Acana. This has nothing to do with food. You would need to have her looked ate by the vet. I have 2 vets but for things like this I see my holistic vet so 7 dont get vets pushing meds when it's not necessary. Im telling you this incase something you miss or sounds the same. You would still need to have your pup checked. Btw Duke is almost 6 months old.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Advantage Multi will cover mange and MOST worms and fleas, but not tapeworms or ticks . If you are worried about tapeworms you could just use a Interceptor Spectrum or Sentinel Spectrum pill instead of Advantage Multi once monthly to cover ALL worms, but then you would have to add Nexgard or Bravecto to cover the mange and ticks and fleas.

Why im taking Advantage Multi as he has no tape worm or fleas. He basically don't need it but it just helps grow hair faster. I know I rather do it natural just I dont want him to turned bald either.
[MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION], did you check elsewhere like in the sunlight? Best light!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION] If it is the beginning of mange, rub NuStock in very well on the bald area. NuStock will take care of it, and also grow the hair back.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Did the vet do a skin scrape? It's very odd that it's only on the eyebrow...

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
The vet checked it when it started and said it just looked like a scratch but to keep an eye on it. No scrape was done as she tends to lean on the conservative all natural side which I am okay with. I've just gotten concerned as over the weeks it's not grown back. I've already ordered some Nu Stock just in case from my previous research and will start that to see if it helps the hair grow back. I had a pug puppy a few years ago get it and used Goodwinol to treat it. It went away and never came back. I might still have some in the medicine cabinet but not sure if it has a shelf life or not. I also try not to treat my dogs with chemicals unless it becomes absolutely necessary. We are having a horrendous year for ticks here this year hence the reason I've had to put them all on Frontline Plus.

I brush her every day and not seen any thin spots or bald spots anywhere else just the one eyebrow.

T

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet checked it when it started and said it just looked like a scratch but to keep an eye on it. No scrape was done as she tends to lean on the conservative all natural side which I am okay with. I've just gotten concerned as over the weeks it's not grown back. I've already ordered some Nu Stock just in case from my previous research and will start that to see if it helps the hair grow back. I had a pug puppy a few years ago get it and used Goodwinol to treat it. It went away and never came back. I might still have some in the medicine cabinet but not sure if it has a shelf life or not. I also try not to treat my dogs with chemicals unless it becomes absolutely necessary. We are having a horrendous year for ticks here this year hence the reason I've had to put them all on Frontline Plus.

I brush her every day and not seen any thin spots or bald spots anywhere else just the one eyebrow.

T

BTW this works...

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Nu Stock never goes bad. If it dries up,add some mineral oil,or any safe oil and mix it up!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If she did rub the hairs out then they came out root and all. This takes a very long time to grow back...or even see evidence of new hair growth. Give it a few more weeks and I'd bet you'll see new peach fuzz appear.

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
The Nu-Stock arrived Sunday and I bathed then took a dab and rubbed it in really well to the bare spot. The tube says to apply every 3 days.... is that correct for this purpose as well?

Thank you everyone for your input I really appreciate it. Having this forum to go to with these questions is an amazing resource. I hope as I learn more about being a EB Mommy to pass along the wisdom learned.

T

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Why im taking Advantage Multi as he has no tape worm or fleas. He basically don't need it but it just helps grow hair faster. I know I rather do it natural just I dont want him to turned bald either.
[MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION], did you check elsewhere like in the sunlight? Best light!

@hellsonwheels can you just give this 'once' ? I don't want to do it either but am thinking of it as I don't want those spots to get hold... [MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION] I am waiting your answer as well as it's good info to have... Amazing resource here I agree!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION] Yes every 3 days. Make sure the Ns is mixed well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@hellsonwheels can you just give this 'once' ? I don't want to do it either but am thinking of it as I don't want those spots to get hold... [MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION] I am waiting your answer as well as it's good info to have... Amazing resource here I agree!!

I just got it today n put 3 drops as its for 50lbs and Chunky Monkey is 30lbs. Yes you redo it a month later. Im emailing my breeder as duke is already updated on his meds. Rather double check if it's not necessary to do a full treatment. Will let you know,

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.