Heartburn

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I was reading (on Cesar's site) about obsessive licking and someone posted that they discovered the reason their dog was licking constantly at night was heartburn after meals related.

Since we have discussed the problem before but not really linked heartburn as a cause I thought I'd put this out here for others to consider and check into.

We are considering getting some fruit flavored Tums to see if it helps curb the licking for HRH. She does it worst after meals, ( not immediately, but within half an hour of meals) that's why this made sense that it could be a possible cause.

Thoughts, input or experience welcome.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never heard of that. I do know the most common factor of paw licking is allergies. This is why so many see a big improvement in paw licking once they find the right food.

I am curious if it works for you, keep us posted! Tums will also help with PH balance, which could actually be the reason it is helping too.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
That is very interesting! I know Samson does it because of allergies and as an obsessive thing but maybe it could have to do with heartburn. Let us know how it goes!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Never heard of that too. Other than paw-licking, did the site list any other symptoms? Stig sometimes licks his paws after a meal, but I thought it was because he sometimes steps on where he ate, so there's a little 'flavour' left over.

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] yes it's an obsessive, very rapid licking the air thing that Gracie does. It can be rather annoying.

She has also licked her front legs to the point of staining and rash in the past. But we seem to have that mostly under control at the moment. We got bitter apple spray and it works to stop her leg licking.

We are going to give it a try. So far tonight it has not helped though. She ate a little bit ago. I gave her a Tums right after she finished her food. She's licking now. Perhaps it will take a few doses?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
@LaraP It will be interesting to see if the Tums help. Mack just licks the air, not his legs or paws. He takes doggie asprin (rimadyl) twice a day which could cause heartburn.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
SO far this evening the Tums seems to have helped but; she sometimes licks the air obsessively when we get in bed... that is yet to happen so we will see if the Tums continues to help later into the evening.

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We just thought she would try the fruit over the mint. She ate it.
We got a mint flavored dog toothpaste a few months ago, she didn't seem to care for it.

She did lick a bit tonight, but it didn't seem to last as long as usual, so perhaps it took a bit for the tums to begin working. "trying to be optimistic"

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.