Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!

I'm very worried it's time to put down my 8 year old boy. He hasn't had a full meal in a very long time. He'll eat he odd cookie, sometimes have some tuna, but that's it....and because he's lost so much weight he's having a hard time walking. He has a lump in his throat, but the vet said they weren't concerned about it. He also has a huge tumor on his stomach, but again, the vet said it's not cancer. The vet also said any surgery will be too risky for a dog his age/breed. I don't want to give up on him, but I don't want him to suffer either. How do you know when it's time to let your pup go?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=8581]Shahster[/MENTION] Oh my goodness, what an awful position to be in, my heart just breaks for you!! I have no answer other than what you yourself said, "don't want him to suffer" I made the terrible mistake of allowing my lab/shepherd mix "Babe" to continue in life for ME...not for HER. She was 16 years old when I finally made the terrible decision. I do not envy your position but by the love I hear in your post I am CONFIDENT that your heart will guide you at the right time. God Bless you and your pup !!! (is the 8yo Otis or Cyrus?)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello!

I'm very worried it's time to put down my 8 year old boy. He hasn't had a full meal in a very long time. He'll eat he odd cookie, sometimes have some tuna, but that's it....and because he's lost so much weight he's having a hard time walking. He has a lump in his throat, but the vet said they weren't concerned about it. He also has a huge tumor on his stomach, but again, the vet said it's not cancer. The vet also said any surgery will be too risky for a dog his age/breed. I don't want to give up on him, but I don't want him to suffer either. How do you know when it's time to let your pup go?

Im so sorry for your boy. It's the biggest decision no one wants to make. My friend rescued Molly a 10yr old corgi a couple yrs ago who also a huge tumor on her stomach. A year after the tumor got really big that it was almost dragging towards the ground. (Corgi are short legged dogs). She was eating a bit but had hard time at the end doing her business. I would go for walks with her and she woukd pee like 5x to make one full pee. Molly was put down last year as my friend didnt want to see her suffer anymore. Molly did have cancer yours doesn't. Did your vet say what the lump n tumor are? Just growths? I personally wouldn't want my dogs to suffer that's for sure. Nobody wants to make that decision but sometimes we have to choice. Did you talk to your vet to see what he/she thinks about it?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Thank you for your replies. It's Otis, his little brother Cyrus is two. The vet said it was a growth on his stomach, which is almost dragging on the grown. He hasn't done any tests so I'm not sure how he knows it's not cancer for sure. We're going to the vet again this weekend so see what our options are and then decide from there. Otis usually squats to pee, and he can't get back up from a squatting positiion...so I'm thinking it's his time. I'm just hoping there isn't more than can be done to bring his health back. :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so sorry, it's difficult to see them doing poorly.

Have you gotten a 2nd opinion, I find it odd Vet
didn't check for cancer unless Vet thinks he is doing
so badly that his opinion is to put Otis to sleep.

I will pray that God gives you clear direction on what
should be done for Otis's best care and peace with what
you decide. A devastating time for all but if he's suffering
& nothing can be done for relief then you must be strong
and let him go, my heart breaks for you :(

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Thank you for your replies. It's Otis, his little brother Cyrus is two. The vet said it was a growth on his stomach, which is almost dragging on the grown. He hasn't done any tests so I'm not sure how he knows it's not cancer for sure. We're going to the vet again this weekend so see what our options are and then decide from there. Otis usually squats to pee, and he can't get back up from a squatting positiion...so I'm thinking it's his time. I'm just hoping there isn't more than can be done to bring his health back. :(

Like I said in my previous reply, when you see the vet ask what this growth or tumor are. He/she should have an answer to what they are. Some tumors are removable but if it's cancer it's a different story. Keep us posted plz. :assurred:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm not sure about veterinary surgery, but anesthesia for human surgery has gotten so much better over the years that you see 100 year olds being operated on. It's hard to believe they can't remove a benign tumour.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello!

So sorry you're baby is going through all this.... i would be getting a second opinion, I'm curious to know why the vet has done no tests on the growth or treatments-- like drain the area of fluid?

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts

Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8581]Shahster[/MENTION] It doesn't sound like your vet has put much effort into diagnosing your boy. Does he think it IS cancer,if not how long has he had this growth? I know it is a difficult time for you now-but it sounds like something more could have been done earlier. If your baby is suffering and nothing can be done to ease his suffering, sit with him,talk to him,look into his eyes, and they will tell you the answer. Prayers for you to get the answer you need.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear about your baby. It is a very hard decision to make and unfortunately no one can tell you when to make that decision. All I know is when the time comes, you will know. None of us want our babies to suffer, and when their quality of life is no longer, or they are in pain, it is time to help them cross over.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Any update since you were going to the vet this weekend?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Sadly, Otis went to heaven this afternoon. He started to lose his bowl functions and the vet said his kidneys were failing. We're going to miss him so much. But, he went peacefully and we were with him the whole time.

We love you Otis.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

Sadly, Otis went to heaven this afternoon. He started to lose his bowl functions and the vet said his kidneys were failing. We're going to miss him so much. But, he went peacefully and we were with him the whole time.

We love you Otis.

Bless your grieving hearts.... You so kindly did the right thing.. I'm very sorry for your hearts but take peace in where he now is, and you will be together again one day... sent with love and prayers for peace.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

We love you Otis.

So very sorry for your loss... Rest In Peace sweet Otis. Happy you were with him and he left with all your love wrapped around him.

(((Hugs))))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

We love you Otis.

Im am so sorry. Was good you all stayed with him. Im sure he felt your presence and left peacefully. Otis is free now. He'll always be in your heart. Cherish the memories as it will always put a smile on your face and help you get through your day.

:angelheart: :assurred:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.