Help Needed! 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

SteveC

Jul 13, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Bronson
Hi everyone, I have a 13 week old Bully pup called Betty who has been having bouts of raspy breathing. I've searched the forum for answers but can't find anything that's similar. It sounds like phlegm rattling in her throat and sometimes it sounds like she's purring but the strange thing is it's not all the time. It seems to be random times throughout the day with no triggers I.e sometimes it happens after she eats, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes after she sleeps, sometimes it doesn't. She's up to date with her vaccinations, eats well and plays and runs around a lot and when she plays her breathing is fine. She hasn't got any nasal discharge and hasn't been vomitting. Sometimes it sounds like she needs a good cough to clear her throat but she dosent seem to know to cough to clear it. Apart from this she's a completely normal happy pup. I'm a totally paranoid puppy parent and would be gratefull for any advice or help to put my mind at rest. Thank you

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=17374]SteveC[/MENTION] Hello and welcome, sorry under these circumstances!! I am not the one with the knowledge to help you BUT I've tagged a few members and they will chime in to help I'm sure. Hang in there, I know you must be worried. Prayers for your pup!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How long is it already? It sounds very much like kennel cough. Is she vaccinated against kennel cough? Very common flu-like viral disease in young dogs. It's better to take her to the vet. It is not serious disease, but left untreated can cause pneumonia.

OP
S

SteveC

Jul 13, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Bronson
How long is it already? It sounds very much like kennel cough. Is she vaccinated against kennel cough? Very common flu-like viral disease in young dogs. It's better to take her to the vet. It is not serious disease, but left untreated can cause pneumonia.

Thank you, She has had kennel cough vaccination. She's not really coughing she just rattles a bit when breathing. Like I said it's really strange because she's absolutely fine 70% of the time then it starts. Would kennel cough come and go like that?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17374]SteveC[/MENTION] Try giving her a squirt of lemon juice(in those fake lemons) if it is just flegm that will help break it up. I did that for one the other day, and she spit up the flegm.

OP
S

SteveC

Jul 13, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Bronson
[MENTION=17374]SteveC[/MENTION] Try giving her a squirt of lemon juice(in those fake lemons) if it is just flegm that will help break it up. I did that for one the other day, and she spit up the flegm.

Thank You, I've heard about using lemons before but never tried it. Will definitely give it a go

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone, I have a 13 week old Bully pup called Betty who has been having bouts of raspy breathing. I've searched the forum for answers but can't find anything that's similar. It sounds like phlegm rattling in her throat and sometimes it sounds like she's purring but the strange thing is it's not all the time. It seems to be random times throughout the day with no triggers I.e sometimes it happens after she eats, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes after she sleeps, sometimes it doesn't. She's up to date with her vaccinations, eats well and plays and runs around a lot and when she plays her breathing is fine. She hasn't got any nasal discharge and hasn't been vomitting. Sometimes it sounds like she needs a good cough to clear her throat but she dosent seem to know to cough to clear it. Apart from this she's a completely normal happy pup. I'm a totally paranoid puppy parent and would be gratefull for any advice or help to put my mind at rest. Thank you

try the squirt of lemon as mentioned, but next time at vet be sure to mention this and keep close eye for any changes ... at her age pneumonia can set in quick so just mentioning it so you keep an eye on her

OP
S

SteveC

Jul 13, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Bronson
try the squirt of lemon as mentioned, but next time at vet be sure to mention this and keep close eye for any changes ... at her age pneumonia can set in quick so just mentioning it so you keep an eye on her

Thank you I will mention it. She's got the vets next week I just get so paranoid when they're little

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you I will mention it. She's got the vets next week I just get so paranoid when they're little

Understandable!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Puppies still can contract kennel cough, even if vaccinated. Vaccine protects against certain strain of Bordetella bacteria, but it can be caused by other strains, or even viruses (Coronavirus, parainfluenza virus). It's actually kinda group of diseases.
Yes, symptoms can be present not all time, especially in the beginning. May be once in several hours dogs produces strange hacking sound, it can feel like a honk, or you just hear that something's in his throats that he wants to cough out. Just your description is very characteristic for kennel cough - it is very strange sound. Watch your puppy and take him to vet if it gets worse. It can heal on its own, but keep an eye on him.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am fairly certain my Frenchie had kennel cough one time as he was actually doing a dry cough. He goes to daycare and the bortadella vaccine is required every 6 months but it is not a guarantee. But his cough went away after a week or so and everything was fine. If it continues or gets worse, a vet visit might be good.

Reginald

Dec 28, 2020
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronny
Hello, I know this post was age ago. And I hope your puppy was all ok in the end. Did you find out what it was ? My 13 week EB puppy is exactly the same. Only difference is he sometimes coughs to clear his throat. He does do it more after eating and drinking but also can just come on randomly. And then sometimes heā€™s completely fine. Weā€™ve been to the vet and they checked him over and said he was fine. Soda law he didnā€™t sound wheezy or congested at all when we went. Iā€™m looking at booking another appointment as i am still worried about it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello, I know this post was age ago. And I hope your puppy was all ok in the end. Did you find out what it was ? My 13 week EB puppy is exactly the same. Only difference is he sometimes coughs to clear his throat. He does do it more after eating and drinking but also can just come on randomly. And then sometimes heā€™s completely fine. Weā€™ve been to the vet and they checked him over and said he was fine. Soda law he didnā€™t sound wheezy or congested at all when we went. Iā€™m looking at booking another appointment as i am still worried about it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Try squirt of lemon juice in throat, that can break up the phlegm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Agree with Christine, lemon squirt. It will clear it up. Keep us posted cheers!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
When we picked Jackson up from the breeder, he too had this raspy "rattle". Not all the time, but loud enough to really notice it! Breeder ( who is VERY reputable) assured me that he was checked thoroughly at her vets the day before, he heard the rasp and could not find anything wrong. Lungs were clear, no cough, eating fine. We did notice it seemed to peak after drinking water or eating too fast. I took him to MY vet and he said he thought he had and elongated palate ( mind you, he was only 9 weeks old). I called my breeder and she adamantly assured me he was too young to diagnose palate problem and this was very common in bulldogs- especially smaller ones ( he was the runt of the litter). She felt he would eventually grow out of it. I trusted her and guess what, she was completely correct! The rattle vanished at about 3 months old. He never had another problem. As long as your vet finds her lungs clear, I would not be overly concerned!! He is now 18 months old, healthy as can be and has NO palate issues!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.