Help Needed! Puppy has vomiting and diarrhea

LyndseyR

Jul 13, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
Hi,

We picked up our bully puppy a week ago and everything was going brilliantly with feeding, poos were fine sometimes a little soft but formed. He ate last night around 8pm, but became very quiet and unsettled towards the end of the night which is unusual for him. This morning very quiet again :( his poos are like water and vomiting clear saliva. He won't eat or drink anything and more or less slept this morning which normally he would be bounding around playing. I might be worrying over nothing, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You need to visit vet, just to rule out parvovirus and other serious things. If they rule out serious infections, then it is probably just stress related.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Take your puppy to a knowledgeable, bully experienced Vet
asap!

Could be any number of things but in young puppies a lot can
go wrong (and does) and you can lose them very quickly.

Dehydration is a major risk here, take your puppy in today!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Loose stool in a new puppy can be common due to stress of a new home. But since he is also vomiting and not eating or drinking and somewhat lethargic, I would take to a vet ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi,

We picked up our bully puppy a week ago and everything was going brilliantly with feeding, poos were fine sometimes a little soft but formed. He ate last night around 8pm, but became very quiet and unsettled towards the end of the night which is unusual for him. This morning very quiet again :( his poos are like water and vomiting clear saliva. He won't eat or drink anything and more or less slept this morning which normally he would be bounding around playing. I might be worrying over nothing, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Agree with the gang here.... get your baby to the vet. Quite, watery poo and vomit is not good for a young puppy.

Please keep us posted

OP
L

LyndseyR

Jul 13, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
Thanks for the advice everyone. Booked an appointment with vets and almost immediately after I put the phone down he drank some water and kept it down. He's had a small meal as well and seems to be back to his playful self :) just me panicking. He hasn't had anymore diarrhea either

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the advice everyone. Booked an appointment with vets and almost immediately after I put the phone down he drank some water and kept it down. He's had a small meal as well and seems to be back to his playful self :) just me panicking. He hasn't had anymore diarrhea either

Could have just been a bug or stress. Are you taking him to the vet anyways or wait and see how it goes? With diarrhea and vomiting, staying hydrated is very important.

OP
L

LyndseyR

Jul 13, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
Could have just been a bug or stress. Are you taking him to the vet anyways or wait and see how it goes? With diarrhea and vomiting, staying hydrated is very important.

I'm going to wait and see how he goes. He's had plenty of water and is peeing frequently so fingers crossed that's it. Not been sick since either. Like you say was probably a bug or a bit of stress. Thanks again for the advice everyone :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If your dog seems ok now, withhold solid food for 24 hr, but give fluids. After 24 hr give boiled chicken breast with no skin, and rice for a few days. You can also give dimenhydrinate (Gravol) 12;.5 mg/kg every 8-12 hours.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
You can also give scrambled egg & rice as a bland diet. Full of protein & very easy to digest.
Let us know how it goes at the vet, but very glad he's holding his water down!

Hopefully the diarrhea resolves itself, if not then its stool sample time!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm going to wait and see how he goes. He's had plenty of water and is peeing frequently so fingers crossed that's it. Not been sick since either. Like you say was probably a bug or a bit of stress. Thanks again for the advice everyone :)

Any update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

LyndseyR

Jul 13, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
Oh he's absolutely fine now :) don't know what caused it but back to to his normal self now. Thanks everyone for the advice

OP
L

LyndseyR

Jul 13, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
He seems to be fine now, eating and drinking fine and no more sickness and diarrhea :) must have been a little bug or something. Vets didn't find anything so all clear of anything sinister. Got one happy little bully again :) thanks again for all the advice very much appreciated

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
He seems to be fine now, eating and drinking fine and no more sickness and diarrhea :) must have been a little bug or something. Vets didn't find anything so all clear of anything sinister. Got one happy little bully again :) thanks again for all the advice very much appreciated

thanks for the update :) always good to hear :)

Members online

No members online now.