worming/deworming questions

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
How do you determine if they need worming. I did de-worm at about 9 months (I think) but not since then and don't see any signs (also gave stool sample but that was 5 months ago) so how do I determine to do or not? Is it something you just have done, or do every so often? and do you get wormer from your vet according to worms or from your pet store.. Thanks a whole bunch..

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] Hi Jill! Not an expert but only had to treat Joey when she was really young, like 10 weeks old and never since. Her vet told me that since Joey is not a "free roamer" outside, always with me on leash or under my supervision, she not as likely to digest things that could give her worms past the puppy stage. Hope this helps :)

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] :) Hi Sue :) And thank you for your input.. Hank is also always with me but, we do travel over ground where lots of other dogs have been and though he's an oddball in that he doesn't pick up everything and try to eat it, he does cover lots of possible 'pick up something' ground. Except for the tape worm which I guess they have to eat a flea, I don't know how they get the others...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My method [ saves money and deworms my dogs ] :
Give heartworm med pill (Interceptor Plus-milbemycin plus praziquantel) every 2 months, which also deworms the dog since the two drugs kill all worms. I use Advantix II monthly topically for flea and tick prevention.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My method [ saves money and deworms my dogs ] :
Give heartworm med pill (Interceptor Plus-milbemycin plus praziquantel) every 2 months, which also deworms the dog since the two drugs kill all worms. I use Advantix II monthly topically for flea and tick prevention.

Heres my thoughts on this... I'm in an area that is not often prescribed heartworm meds as the norm. I'm also a pill phobe BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to an area in a week , for a week, that is a fishing area so I assume theres prob mosquitos etc.. I did call the vet to see if I should use more than my 'oil's ' spray, and he seemed to think i'd be protected well by it (pretty cool huh) and that I could get checked upon return and treat if necessary.. I know I'm going on a whole nother subject here, but, mabie????? I should give the meds just this once to prevent? and de worm at the same time??? Or, is there a lesser way to just get rid of worms?? As in, what is the least toxic to dog way I can go.. And!!! I don't even know that he has them ;/

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The heartworm/dewormer pill doesn't work ahead of time. It kills whatever worms are growing at the time you give it, so you would probably give it at 2 weeks after initial exposure to mosquitoes and a couple of months after that. But, it would be simpler to just put on topical Advantage Multi or Revolution for heartworms and fleas the day before you start the week vacation and that will cover you for a month after. if you need to cover for ticks you could add on topical K9 Advantix II or Vectra 3d or oral Nexgard, all 3 of these will also cover for a month.

Heres my thoughts on this... I'm in an area that is not often prescribed heartworm meds as the norm. I'm also a pill phobe BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to an area in a week , for a week, that is a fishing area so I assume theres prob mosquitos etc.. I did call the vet to see if I should use more than my 'oil's ' spray, and he seemed to think i'd be protected well by it (pretty cool huh) and that I could get checked upon return and treat if necessary.. I know I'm going on a whole nother subject here, but, mabie????? I should give the meds just this once to prevent? and de worm at the same time??? Or, is there a lesser way to just get rid of worms?? As in, what is the least toxic to dog way I can go.. And!!! I don't even know that he has them ;/

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ahhhhhh so Joey takes heartworm med each month, so.......treat other worms??? Didn't know that! Brilliant!

So, Jill, I guess she does get treated, who knew

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Depends which one Joey takes- he is only being dewormed for tapeworms if he gets praziquantel. Most products just deworm for heartworm, and possibly whipworm, hookworm and roundworm depending on which one you are using.

Ahhhhhh so Joey takes heartworm med each month, so.......treat other worms??? Didn't know that! Brilliant!

So, Jill, I guess she does get treated, who knew

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I use Sentinel Spectrum every month which is for fleas, heartworm and a few other types of worms, can't remember off the top of my head. So far, so good...never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I stop deworming all my dogs when they were 3 months old. They dont need to take meds if nothing wrong with them. I was going to give Duke Advantage Multi cause of his hives and yet I didnt end up doing it. My vet said why would you give him that if he has no worms nor ticks when he just had all he needs 2 months ago. She's right cant argue with that comment especially when im so not a pill person. Jill you hsve your spray, just use it. Btw never buy meds in a petshop!

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So good this place!!! Thanks to all and from what I can gather, there will be 'fixes' if needed, but I feel protected by my 'spray' ;) and will worm if/when I see the need. I can always take a special bag in to the vet to get it checked if I question. And thanks for the'dont get meds from petshop'. I have gotton wormer from my "healthy pet pantry' that I felt safe with long ago, but havnt used stuff for so long that I didn't know even where to purchase. So, I'm guessing then the vet? ... anyway,thanks again .. You guys are all the best!!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Depends which one Joey takes- he is only being dewormed for tapeworms if he gets praziquantel. Most products just deworm for heartworm, and possibly whipworm, hookworm and roundworm depending on which one you are using.

Great information! Thank you!

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
You can give pumpkin seeds or pumpkin seed oil (probably the oil being the better option) this is a natural dewormer if you are wary of regular medications, as I am. The down side is it can cause tear stains in some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Worm eggs are quite wide spread, not necessarily in areas contaminated with dog poops, like dog parks etc. They are present practically everywhere in the soil and come not only from dogs ( they come from people, pigs, wildlife etc) and are spread by wind and rain flow etc. Dogs walk and get in on their paws and then lick it, and also they love to sniff Grass and soil etc. That's why it is recommended to deworm regularly. In southern states you have to give heartworm medication regularly, and Heartguard plus also contains praziquantel to fight worms.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks again for even more info :) I will look into the pumpkin seed/oil thing as well... Also, this is what I thought about [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] was, that they can be picked up by the cleaning of self/feet etc... Anyway, I don't 'think' he has any at this time, but may do a clean out when we come back or at least a poop check ... I just hate drugs so bad (to the point of a phobia) but also want to make sure that my distaste for them doesn't go to far and I hurt him by 'not' doing something..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online