Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I know there has been a lot of discussion on this but I'm in need of advice. Louie tears a lot and his eye folds are a little discolored. I'm constantly wiping them to try to dry them and I wipe them with witch hazel. He gets spring water and uses a stainless steel bowl. He's eating Fromm and not always grain free because I have to watch the protein amount he gets. Once he's neutered, he will get raw.

I'm thinking of switching him to Acana Singles which is grain free and the protein amount is fine. Will going grain free help?

I've also read that collyrium eye wash is good for tear stains. Anyone have experience using it?

I know there are other white faces dogs on here and their faces look great. What can I do? Here's a picture of what it looks like. Maybe I'm thinking it looks worse than it is??

6eadb08c08620226affed2cb6d4edb71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pictures of his face normal without me pulling the fold open, it doesn't look so bad this way:

d758eb98481a5afecb25a158e69707fc.jpg

b1c748e86aaef3980a931481bfa24e88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It's not so bad. Did a lot of research on tear stains. A lot of magic potions out there that i would say, dont bother buying them. Duke 2 weeks ago wasn't really white anymore in them folds. Was reallt dark. Now he's much better as hes on Acana, some raw, some home cooking, his multi vitamin and some oils. Yes you need to keep it dry. As soon as duke is finish this bag, im adding more HC n organs and less Acana.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It's not so bad. Did a lot of research on tear stains. A lot of magic potions out there that i would say, dont bother buying them. Duke 2 weeks ago wasn't really white anymore in them folds. Was reallt dark. Now he's much better as hes on Acana, some raw, some home cooking, his multi vitamin and some oils. Yes you need to keep it dry. As soon as duke is finish this bag, im adding more HC n organs and less Acana.

I am going to get some Acana this weekend and transition him over. After that, I might get either The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's and give that to him for dinner. Eventually he will go to raw like Jax but it will be awhile.

I will continue to wipe his face and who knows, maybe the switch in foods will help with the tearing as well.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I am going to get some Acana this weekend and transition him over. After that, I might get either The Honest Kitchen or Grandm'a Lucy's and give that to him for dinner. Eventually he will go to raw like Jax but it will be awhile.

I will continue to wipe his face and who knows, maybe the switch in foods will help with the tearing as well.

whats real good with the HK (or similar) is that you add just the amount of protein 'you' want to add... (well, that's if you get the kindly or preference) That way, you can monitor that better till neutered... (hum,,, just thinking, it was the protein you needed to watch right? )

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
whats real good with the HK (or similar) is that you add just the amount of protein 'you' want to add... (well, that's if you get the kindly or preference) That way, you can monitor that better till neutered... (hum,,, just thinking, it was the protein you needed to watch right? )

I was not planning on getting the Kindly or Preference and yes, need to watch protein until he gets neutered. I think I will go with the HK over GL because they have more variety that he can have. It would be kind of pricey of just doing HK right now because he is still getting 3 meals a day. So I am going to get one of the Acana Singles and a box of HK and then split his meals between the two. I have also been getting the Stella & Chewy's meal mixer and giving him a bit of that with his breakfast.

I sure hope the switch helps with his tearing. His eye folds are always so WET.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Just a thought.... Are you sure his eyelashes aren't bothering his eyes?

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a thought.... Are you sure his eyelashes aren't bothering his eyes?

How would I know? Would I see eyelashes poking him in the eyes?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The vet would be your best bet. It may be worth checking out as you say he tears up a lot. It's something to rule out at least.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The problem why dogs have tear stains, is the breeder. Yes you will get a bit of stains as it's a white face but not that much. The ones the has really bad stains is not JUST a food issue it's also a breeder issue. It's too much acidity! Breeders that breeds "any" dogs like yorkies, bullies, westies, poodles should wait after 18months to breed. Its between 8-18months old is when your dog will show if it has too much acidity issues and that will produce in that future litter. After 18 months old you should know if to breed or not to avoid this issue. My 2 cents is you dont breed any dog with acidity issues and you dont care cause you want to make money. :nono: To avoid all this is raw but it's not everyone's budget.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The problem why dogs have tear stains, is the breeder. Yes you will get a bit of stains as it's a white face but not that much. The ones the has really bad stains is not JUST a food issue it's also a breeder issue. It's too much acidity! Breeders that breeds "any" dogs like yorkies, bullies, westies, poodles should wait after 18months to breed. Its between 8-18months old is when your dog will show if it has too much acidity issues and that will produce in that future litter. After 18 months old you should know if to breed or not to avoid this issue. My 2 cents is you dont breed any dog with acidity issues and you dont care cause you want to make money. :nono: To avoid all this is raw but it's not everyone's budget.

Hmmmm...I visited with the breeders and their dogs multiple times and I didn't notice any significant tear stains on any of them. Maybe with Louie it does have to do with his eyelashes. I do remember the first vet visit and the vet saying to keep an eye out. I think I will try the food change, just in case it is the grains or something causing the tearing and if he still tears a lot, bring him in so the vet can check his eyes. As you can see by the pictures, the staining isn't bad. The folds just always seem to be wet and I am constantly wiping them to try and dry.

Jax started getting tear stains when he was younger, changed to filtered water and cleared up. Plus he is on raw.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
and along the lines of the eyelashes..... Hank had some that the vet actually plucked the first time but said most likely, it would be good to do that surgery if/when he did his palate/nares.. so, that's what was done and it helped considerably... He still gets moisture but using the e-cloth's on them, or the Norwex has so far !!! kept his folds white.. (sometimes still do destine though when in the grassier areas as his eyes water more in different situations)

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
and along the lines of the eyelashes..... Hank had some that the vet actually plucked the first time but said most likely, it would be good to do that surgery if/when he did his palate/nares.. so, that's what was done and it helped considerably... He still gets moisture but using the e-cloth's on them, or the Norwex has so far !!! kept his folds white.. (sometimes still do destine though when in the grassier areas as his eyes water more in different situations)

The eyelashes are definitely a possibility as to what is causing the tearing. I do remember at the first vet visit the vet saying to watch for excessive tearing. I am going to get the new food either Thursday or Friday but maybe I will make a vet appointment anyways for a week or so out and then if for some reason there is a change, I can just cancel it. If it is the eyelashes, maybe there will be some that can be plucked. And if he needs surgery, hopefully it could wait until he is 1 and then get it at the same time as when he gets neutered.

I am going to look into getting an e cloth. It would be nice to have something specific for wiping his folds rather than a cotton pad or tissue every time.

This is all new to me since Jax doesn't have the deep eye folds that a EB has.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmmm...I visited with the breeders and their dogs multiple times and I didn't notice any significant tear stains on any of them. Maybe with Louie it does have to do with his eyelashes. I do remember the first vet visit and the vet saying to keep an eye out. I think I will try the food change, just in case it is the grains or something causing the tearing and if he still tears a lot, bring him in so the vet can check his eyes. As you can see by the pictures, the staining isn't bad. The folds just always seem to be wet and I am constantly wiping them to try and dry.

Jax started getting tear stains when he was younger, changed to filtered water and cleared up. Plus he is on raw.

Like I said it can be the food and to be certain go raw. Also raw has tons of moisture. I know a few breeders of poodles, yorkies n westies that their pups are so bad in stains as they get older it's not even funny. I mentioned breeders as it's a fact a lot of them will not wait till their dogs are over the period acidity time of any dogs which is usually 18months old before breeding. Im not saying they are all like that. You get the knowledgeable ones and the money maker ones and of course the clueless ones. It is what it is. You just need to change their diets.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Like I said it can be the food and to be certain go raw. Also raw has tons of moisture. I know a few breeders of poodles, yorkies n westies that their pups are so bad in stains as they get older it's not even funny. I mentioned breeders as it's a fact a lot of them will not wait till their dogs are over the period acidity time of any dogs which is usually 18months old before breeding. Im not saying they are all like that. You get the knowledgeable ones and the money maker ones and of course the clueless ones. It is what it is. You just need to change their diets.

soooooooooooo, is this when the acv comes in handy? to alkaline them?? I mean, as in now, while they're in our care..

Most Reactions