Anyones dog have reaction to Benidryl?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I 'think' and so did the vet think it was possible that Hank got itchy inside from Benadryl... He's taken it before but always during the day and I hadn't noticed this. I had given it to him because of the bumps and both nights he got quite weird with acting like he couldn't relax. If this is true, would the cetirizine be a possibility for him to take if needed?? Or another suggestion to give if need be?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I 'think' and so did the vet think it was possible that Hank got itchy inside from Benadryl... He's taken it before but always during the day and I hadn't noticed this. I had given it to him because of the bumps and both nights he got quite weird with acting like he couldn't relax. If this is true, would the cetirizine be a possibility for him to take if needed?? Or another suggestion to give if need be?

Benadryl calms Duke. This dog I swear hes super energetic. I thought Nyala beats the cake. Guess not but the benadryl mellows him. For cetirizine, idk, best person to answer your question is Dolly (brad /lynn). They did answer me regarding hives n mentioned cetirizine. Might be better in your case. I'll check it out tomorrow at Costco as they said.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I can not take it, it is like a sleeping pill for me. I took one 25mg pill once and could barely walk and then slept for almost 18 hours. A friend of mine can't take it cause it makes her super hyper. So if we can react like that I'm sure the pups can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
List of possible central nervous system reactions for benadryl include:
Ataxia, chills, confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, euphoria, excitement, fatigue, headache, insomnia, irritability, nervousness, neuritis, paradoxical excitation, paresthesia, restlessness, sedation, seizure, vertigo

So it's possible he's reacting from the benadryl. Try the cetirizine (Zyrtec,Reactine) at 0.5 mg/pound instead. Cetirizine is not sedating, but may not be quite as strong as the benadryl, but it's a lot longer acting.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Just like every person reacts differently to medications, dogs do too. Jax can take Benadryl and he's fine, not sleepy at all. But I've tried Zyrtec a few times and every time he has thrown up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Benadryl really knocked out Wally and it does for me as well... try the Zyrtec it works better for Wally.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im like Christine. Im not a pill person and once I took benadryl because my hands were swelling up. Why I just dont know but it knocked me out like a light and I don't even sleep much. I felt so rested lolll. When I had my youngest back when and to this day I cannot take any cough syrup. That too knocks me right out. Pharmacist said use alcohol free, still knocks me out cold. As most women knows once pregnant your body has/will change. So yes even dogs can have different reactions.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you *all* for all of this ;) I can almost say I too "never" take pills of any kind... Actually i'd say a 'pill phobia', but, have in the past used Benadryl for a couple of my dogs when itchy or something, and even Hank has had and I didn't notice any reaction.. I just thought of something though.... and I'm ashamed to say,,,,, It was in my stinken head that he was 50 lbs now (even though the vet just checked and I JUST weigh him myself on my scale!! and he's only 45 lbs ) but because his weighing in before when he was real squirmy was over 50 so that's what stuck in my head... Well, I treated him with 2 pills and he's only 45 lbs... so, mabie that was just what happened to my poor no drugger boy... and the fact that we all react differently... I am also going to check out that cetirizine... I feel I 'need' to have something on hand if he gets stung or something... Thanks for all this info!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you *all* for all of this ;) I can almost say I too "never" take pills of any kind... Actually i'd say a 'pill phobia', but, have in the past used Benadryl for a couple of my dogs when itchy or something, and even Hank has had and I didn't notice any reaction.. I just thought of something though.... and I'm ashamed to say,,,,, It was in my stinken head that he was 50 lbs now (even though the vet just checked and I JUST weigh him myself on my scale!! and he's only 45 lbs ) but because his weighing in before when he was real squirmy was over 50 so that's what stuck in my head... Well, I treated him with 2 pills and he's only 45 lbs... so, mabie that was just what happened to my poor no drugger boy... and the fact that we all react differently... I am also going to check out that cetirizine... I feel I 'need' to have something on hand if he gets stung or something... Thanks for all this info!!!

I OD'd Jax the other day on slippery elm. The dosage is 1/4 teaspoon every 10 pounds and I was using a 1/2 teaspoon so he got too much and ended up throwing up afterwards.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Makes ya feel bad huh :( at least he outted it !

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Makes ya feel bad huh :( at least he outted it !

I felt awful! He threw up his whole dinner and that's when I realized what had happened. He also got too much Benadryl one time and that had no effect on him whatsoever.

LucyLicious

Jun 26, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Billy

Our vet gives us chlorphenacol for Billys hives xx

I totally blame auto correct for my many spelling mistakes. :blush:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Actually this medicine was widely misused because of its powerful sleep inducing effect on most people. Was misused by average people as sleeping pill. Druggies of all sorts LOVED it, they used it pure or mixed with other relaxing medicines. That's why my eyes got VERY big, when I saw it OTC in the US:D in Europe it is strictly prescriptional drug, and used mostly in clinics, in injections, in anaesthetic field or for severe allergic reactions, but more like emergency medicine, it is not recommended for prescribing for allergy issues anymore, because of its addiction potential.
But opposite reaction to it is possible, instead of sleepiness you can get agitated. So, probably that's what happened to poor Hank:D

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Actually this medicine was widely misused because of its powerful sleep inducing effect on most people. Was misused by average people as sleeping pill. Druggies of all sorts LOVED it, they used it pure or mixed with other relaxing medicines. That's why my eyes got VERY big, when I saw it OTC in the US:D in Europe it is strictly prescriptional drug, and used mostly in clinics, in injections, in anaesthetic field or for severe allergic reactions, but more like emergency medicine, it is not recommended for prescribing for allergy issues anymore, because of its addiction potential.
But opposite reaction to it is possible, instead of sleepiness you can get agitated. So, probably that's what happened to poor Hank:D

thanks and I'm guessing so.. Or that it it was just too much... He has had it before with no issues so who knows... The emergency vet was not 'gung ho' about the drug being used as 'liberally' as it is now a days. Anyway, sure love the input, and glad all seems well now :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.