question about chicken and rice and tummy ache etc

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Sooooooo, Hank has had chicken before, and rice and even a few other grains here and there and no issues. So, He was having some odd thing going on the other day and was doing the run and sit quick thing. I decided to boil chicken and rice incase it was tummy ache for some reason, as many usually suggest and he did fine and is great as of today.... BUTTTTTTTTTTT , my question is, we mostly all say stay away from grains, and chicken, (and I know some boil rice and beef but still theres the rice) and so, why is it, with our touchy (hanks not as of yet) bullys, and then especially when they seem to be mabie having tummy hurts, do we still give chicken and rice??? Is fresh chicken not such an issue as kibbled chicken??? I don't know, it just hit me weird and was almost worried that in his compromised state, that both the rice and chicken were bad ideas... (they wernt), but whats the take on this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Correct --- to my knowledge, this issue isn't with the fresh items... it is with how the are processed into kibble. However, if they are allergic, that is a different story... my banks was highly allergic to chicken, HIVES galore if she ate the slightest piece fresh or kibble.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
White rice is low fibre and therefore hardens the stool. But if your dog has a really bad grain allergy try over ripe mashed banana or canned pumpkin with the chicken breast with skin removed. And of course probiotic and slippery elm if you have. for the diarrhea.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Rice is almost pure starch ( that's why it hardens stools, for people too, good food in case of diarrhoea), very low protein ( that's why it is very hypoallergenic, as proteins are the number one allergens), and it is gluten free (which is also a big famous culprit for allergy). So, that's why rice is included into bland diet. In everyday diet of healthy dog, rice is of too little nutritional value - for the same reasons - low protein, high starch (equals high carb) and almost no fiber and vitamins. Cheap filler for poor quality kibble.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
awwwww, gotcha!! it seems its been used for years, and by me also, but just hit me funny to give to a dog who was already possibly having a food issue. I really don't know what it was, he didn't get diarrhea or anything just acted like he was running from something and just couldn't rest. no worms (actually took him to emergency) and back on regular food with no issue. Just will keep an eye.. thanks for clearing my crazy thoughts :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
awwwww, gotcha!! it seems its been used for years, and by me also, but just hit me funny to give to a dog who was already possibly having a food issue. I really don't know what it was, he didn't get diarrhea or anything just acted like he was running from something and just couldn't rest. no worms (actually took him to emergency) and back on regular food with no issue. Just will keep an eye.. thanks for clearing my crazy thoughts :)

Could have been an itchy tail or anal glands need to be expressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try adding canned pumpkin for a few weeks to see if it helps clean out the anal gland when he has to squeeze to poop out the higher volume. If you started the EasyRaw dehydrated that's got a lot of fibre already so you won't need the pumpkin.

Could have been an itchy tail or anal glands need to be expressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Try adding canned pumpkin for a few weeks to see if it helps clean out the anal gland when he has to squeeze to poop out the higher volume. If you started the EasyRaw dehydrated that's got a lot of fibre already so you won't need the pumpkin.

Thank you! and his poops are and always been good (honest kitchen good, and now, yes starting the EasyRaw and liking it lots so thank you,,,, never heard of before!{ And also Orijen Original as a side snack} ) but still do the pumpkin a bit during addition of new foods ;) What ever the bug (thinking it was the Benidryl over dose :( ashamed to say) I think all is ok now and going to check the cetirizine as I feel I do need something in case of bites or something. (I gave the Benidryl because of skin bumps but I think the Curaseb shampoo you suggested at one point is taking care of that ;) And, also the adding back into his diet the Nordic Naturals ..and Herbsmith,... This place certainly has kept my Hank the 'mostly' healthy boy he is ;)

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online