Question Swollen eyes. Input?

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Hey everyone, our dog woke up this morning, with huge swollen eyes. He can barely see. One eye also looks like he's losing hair and it looks red. He's already on antibiotics for some sort of anal gland infection and still has another 7 days of antibiotics. He goes to vet today at 4:30 but thought someone could give me input. He can't even see right now and I'm not sure why his one eye is raw. Anyone know? He's 5 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_06391.png
    IMG_06391.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 20170703_105004.jpg
    20170703_105004.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 171

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Maybe conjunctivitis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey everyone, our dog woke up this morning, with huge swollen eyes. He can barely see. One eye also looks like he's losing hair and it looks red. He's already on antibiotics for some sort of anal gland infection and still has another 7 days of antibiotics. He goes to vet today at 4:30 but thought someone could give me input. He can't even see right now and I'm not sure why his one eye is raw. Anyone know? He's 5 years old.

Cold compress... he might have gotten but or touched poison (ivy/oak). Benedryl to help lessen swelling... 1mg per pound of dog up to 3x a day

Keep us posted

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Maybe an allergic reaction to the antibiotic too or a bee sting. Benadryl should help in any case.

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
It seems the vet is not 100 percent sure. It could be the antibiotics or bug bite. Took him off antibiotics and put him on a steroid. Also said his infected anal sac isn't as healed as it should be after a week if antibiotics but meatball still has another 7 days of antibiotics(was prescribed 14 days on antibiotic). It seems he has to go back in 10 days and if infected anal sac isn't where vet would like to see it in the healing process he wants to give meatball anastesia(spelling) in order to surgically drain and clean out raw area. Meatball did have it drained already through a tube and syringe at his last visit too. Anybody know how to stop infected anal sacs? Any tricks you pros know about?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It seems the vet is not 100 percent sure. It could be the antibiotics or bug bite. Took him off antibiotics and put him on a steroid. Also said his infected anal sac isn't as healed as it should be after a week if antibiotics but meatball still has another 7 days of antibiotics(was prescribed 14 days on antibiotic). It seems he has to go back in 10 days and if infected anal sac isn't where vet would like to see it in the healing process he wants to give meatball anastesia(spelling) in order to surgically drain and clean out raw area. Meatball did have it drained already through a tube and syringe at his last visit too. Anybody know how to stop infected anal sacs? Any tricks you pros know about?

@1chumley I think it is her baby that has been dealing with this

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
In cases like this if there is no improvement in 3 days, antibiotic is changed, or added another med, usually not exactly antibiotics, but antibacterial med, like sulphanilamide. May be doctors will recommend you surgery, removal of anal glands, but anyway, you don't want to operate in the pus, they have to subdue inflammation to certain degree, and then operate.
It is tactics for humans, but for animals general principle is the same.
P.s. Are you using topical treatment like hydrogen peroxide washing of the area or any other antiseptic?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I remember Chumley had a drain put in at one point since the infection had formed a deep pocket. He got better and drain was removed and then later on got worse again after his antibiotics were stopped. He was cultured at this point and was growing e.coli and staphylococcus, for which he was put on baytril and septra I believe. His owner had to clean the draining area with betadine after the drain had been removed and the area was still leaking fluid.

Which antibiotic was your dog on? After he's been off antibiotics for a couple of days he should be recultured and started on appropriate antibiotics ( from a different class in case of allergy ). Surgery for removal of anal sacs is also a possibility if the infection hasn't already spread like it did in Chumley's case.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The infection Monty had was from an ongoing deep tail infection that drained close to the location of his anal gland. His tail actually looked great! He is still on meds for another week and then I have to take him back. I flushed the wound with a weak Betadine solution until the would closed up and so far so good. BUT, we have been here before so I am scared to get too excited. Because they ran a culture, he was given Baytril and Bactrim for the E Coli, MRSP and Staph and hopefully this will be the end of it.

I hope Meatball gets well soon. It has been going on for months with Monty so I really hope you don't have to go through a long drawn out recovery.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad to hear he's doing well ! (Forgot his name was Monty)

The infection Monty had was from an ongoing deep tail infection that drained close to the location of his anal gland. His tail actually looked great! He is still on meds for another week and then I have to take him back. I flushed the wound with a weak Betadine solution until the would closed up and so far so good. BUT, we have been here before so I am scared to get too excited. Because they ran a culture, he was given Baytril and Bactrim for the E Coli, MRSP and Staph and hopefully this will be the end of it.

I hope Meatball gets well soon. It has been going on for months with Monty so I really hope you don't have to go through a long drawn out recovery.

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Well it looks like I'm calling the vet AGAIN tomorrow morning. In the middle of the night Meatball had a accident, has not had a accident in years, and the stool was black, mushy, and REALLY FOUL smelling. He had one more like that this morning. Black usually means blood right? Is it the steroid hes on? Predisone(spelling)? He has been vomiting a bit since starting this med. Could it be his anal gland? I know at the vet he showed us a tarry looking stool from his butt and said all that is too thick and needs to drain out. I mean he is acting normally, eating, drinking, playing etc. Haven't seen another stool episode but keeping a close eye until tomorrow morning and calling vet AGAIN.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Oh no, sorry to hear this. I don't have any advice for you unfortunately but please let us know what the vet says.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Black tarry looking stool usually means blood that has been digested as it makes its way down the digestive tract, ie. from stomach, not from the colon. If it was the colon it would be red. This could mean Meatball has a stomach ulcer.

Well it looks like I'm calling the vet AGAIN tomorrow morning. In the middle of the night Meatball had a accident, has not had a accident in years, and the stool was black, mushy, and REALLY FOUL smelling. He had one more like that this morning. Black usually means blood right? Is it the steroid hes on? Predisone(spelling)? He has been vomiting a bit since starting this med. Could it be his anal gland? I know at the vet he showed us a tarry looking stool from his butt and said all that is too thick and needs to drain out. I mean he is acting normally, eating, drinking, playing etc. Haven't seen another stool episode but keeping a close eye until tomorrow morning and calling vet AGAIN.

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Black tarry looking stool usually means blood that has been digested as it makes its way down the digestive tract, ie. from stomach, not from the colon. If it was the colon it would be red. This could mean Meatball has a stomach ulcer.

Stomach Ulcer? How? Is it something I fed him? I just made him a bland bowl of food for fear of another episode. He scarfed it down and definitely drank alot of water but vet said this steroid would definitely increase his thirst and appetite really bad!! Good lord I hope I didn't Do this to him!!! I thought my girls fed him something that didn't agree BUT all 4 of my daughters know what he can have. Blueberries, bananas, peeled apples, carrots, romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs once in awhile etc. Hell I even have a list on the fridge for their reference. He's laying on the couch with me right now sucking his stuffed animal like a pacifier and falling asleep lol. Will call vet in morning and see what he wants to do now☹

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stomach Ulcer? How? Is it something I fed him? I just made him a bland bowl of food for fear of another episode. He scarfed it down and definitely drank alot of water but vet said this steroid would definitely increase his thirst and appetite really bad!! Good lord I hope I didn't Do this to him!!! I thought my girls fed him something that didn't agree BUT all 4 of my daughters know what he can have. Blueberries, bananas, peeled apples, carrots, romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs once in awhile etc. Hell I even have a list on the fridge for their reference. He's laying on the couch with me right now sucking his stuffed animal like a pacifier and falling asleep lol. Will call vet in morning and see what he wants to do now[emoji852]

Too many blueberries, maybe?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.