Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Too many blueberries, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know maybe. It's all so strange. He got the infected anal gland, got it drained, and was put on antibiotics for 14 days and pain pills. Than he never finished his antibiotics because he woke up with his eyes swollen shut. Told to stop antibiotics and start the steroid. Once he started the steroid he started to vomit his food up almost immediately. Not everyday just twice so far and now he has a hacking sound he makes(like clearing his throat) and had 2 episodes of this black foul smelling stool!! Have never smelled anything like that before. Didn't smell like regular stool if that makes sense. Now he may or may not have a stomach ulcer or something else going on. All this from a infected anal sac!!!! I guess it's just my turn with bulldog health issues because he has NEVER had a health issue since a puppy. Ugh. Feel so bad for him...keep you posted

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I don't know maybe. It's all so strange. He got the infected anal gland, got it drained, and was put on antibiotics for 14 days and pain pills. Than he never finished his antibiotics because he woke up with his eyes swollen shut. Told to stop antibiotics and start the steroid. Once he started the steroid he started to vomit his food up almost immediately. Not everyday just twice so far and now he has a hacking sound he makes(like clearing his throat) and had 2 episodes of this black foul smelling stool!! Have never smelled anything like that before. Didn't smell like regular stool if that makes sense. Now he may or may not have a stomach ulcer or something else going on. All this from a infected anal sac!!!! I guess it's just my turn with bulldog health issues because he has NEVER had a health issue since a puppy. Ugh. Feel so bad for him...keep you posted

UGH!! Keep us posted--- prayers that it is nothing serious

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Prednisone can slightly increase your risk of stomach ulcer by thinning the protective coating in your stomach. It's usually not an issue unless your are giving an anti inflammatory like Rimadyl, meloxicam,ibuprofen or aspirin at the same time.

Stomach Ulcer? How? Is it something I fed him? I just made him a bland bowl of food for fear of another episode. He scarfed it down and definitely drank alot of water but vet said this steroid would definitely increase his thirst and appetite really bad!! Good lord I hope I didn't Do this to him!!! I thought my girls fed him something that didn't agree BUT all 4 of my daughters know what he can have. Blueberries, bananas, peeled apples, carrots, romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs once in awhile etc. Hell I even have a list on the fridge for their reference. He's laying on the couch with me right now sucking his stuffed animal like a pacifier and falling asleep lol. Will call vet in morning and see what he wants to do now☹

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Hey just wanted to let everyone know Meatballs anal gland FINALLY healed. It took MONTHS because the black smelly stools seems to be a reaction to meds he was on making his healing process slower. Vet kept switching meds and Meatball would have a new reaction. So we took him off all meds, Vet drained his anal gland more than once, shaved him and we kept it clean and dry. My poor baby is very sensitive to meds!! Go figure? I'm so glad it's over. This poor dog would scream/yelp in pain because he couldn't even sit on his bum. He was raw. Now? We are back in business and he's back to thinking my dining room table has a chair for him during dinner time lol. Thanks for all help/advice

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Good to hear that Meatball is feeling much better, and is back at the dinner table!:gimmefood::up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey just wanted to let everyone know Meatballs anal gland FINALLY healed. It took MONTHS because the black smelly stools seems to be a reaction to meds he was on making his healing process slower. Vet kept switching meds and Meatball would have a new reaction. So we took him off all meds, Vet drained his anal gland more than once, shaved him and we kept it clean and dry. My poor baby is very sensitive to meds!! Go figure? I'm so glad it's over. This poor dog would scream/yelp in pain because he couldn't even sit on his bum. He was raw. Now? We are back in business and he's back to thinking my dining room table has a chair for him during dinner time lol. Thanks for all help/advice

GREAT NEWS!!

Members online

No members online now.