URGENT!!! Diarrhea and Throwing up every other day!

voodoo211

May 13, 2014
Watford City, NoDak
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo Lou Nanne
Hello Everyone.
First time caller here.
I have VooDoo Lou Nanne. 3 1/2 yrs. Male
This started two weeks ago. Every other day, Lou wakes up to throwing up yellow bile and diarrhea. His stomach sounds like star wars, and he would not eat! On these days (Lou Eats, lol) This happned Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Also eating grass, understandable. Tuesday, Thursday totally fine.
Saturday, made him chicken and rice. Fed this diet morning and night, and Sunday morning. I changed his food on Sunday night, thinking his food went bad. Changed to Canidae wild boar limited ingredients.
No problems till Wednesday morning . Same issue but throw up was broken down food, stinky like barf.
Took him to the NEW vet, (because we just moved last month from Florence, Oregon to Minot, North Dakota)
Had vet do blood work and exray, $400 later, tests all negative and started him on, cephalexin and metronidazole. Antibiotic and anti diarrhea, throwing up meds. (He has also lost 6 lbs. Was 70, now 64 lbs.)
Thursday, Friday all good. Eating fine but stool kinda soft.
This morning woke up to throwing up again.
Sorry this is sooo detailed, but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Please help me with my big baby boy.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm sure someone will come on with some great help,,,,Is there something new in the yard that he's getting a hold of??? and they didn't see any blockage?? only other thing I can think of is he's upset from the move... And why i'd even say that is if all tests are coming back normal, i'd have to think mabie it's his discomfort with the move.. they are so touchy about these things but others will have better input.. I know when mine have done the 'morning bile' thing, it's because of empty tummies... And!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its perfect that your detailed! Best wishes, and soon to hear from some experienced bully lovers here..

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Blood work negative, X Ray negative- if they did proper blood work, rules out gall bladder, liver, kidney issues and intestinal blockage. Did they do fecal exam to rule out parasites ? If it doesn't resolve I guess they will have to do more diagnostic tests.

In the meantime I would put dog on bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a week. Give dog good doggie probiotic , especially good would be herbsmith microflora plus since it also has enzymes. If you can't get a doggie probiotic, try kefir, sauerkraut from the refrigerator, or DanActive liquid yoghurt.

OP
V

voodoo211

May 13, 2014
Watford City, NoDak
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo Lou Nanne
Thank you for the response. I feel you on the move thing, but he went almost three weeks and was fine. He eats everything!! I thought about the small branches that fall on the back porch as well. I have made that area unavailable for the time being to rule that out. All good thoughts, but have kinda ruled these out.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It's so hard when things are not obvious and able to be fixed right away. Wishing you luck. Maybe stick with the bland like was mentioned for a little bit longer

OP
V

voodoo211

May 13, 2014
Watford City, NoDak
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo Lou Nanne
Blood work negative, X Ray negative- if they did proper blood work, rules out gall bladder, liver, kidney issues and intestinal blockage. Did they do fecal exam to rule out parasites ? If it doesn't resolve I guess they will have to do more diagnostic tests.

In the meantime I would put dog on bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a week. Give dog good doggie probiotic , especially good would be herbsmith microflora plus since it also has enzymes. If you can't get a doggie probiotic, try kefir, sauerkraut from the refrigerator, or DanActive liquid yoghurt.

Funny you say that. I took pics of stool but not sample. May be next step.
I use plain yogurt as his "somtimes" snacks, so I know he's good with that.
Thank you for your input.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I also vote for comprehensive poop sample analysis! There many ugly parasites that can cause problems, like Coccidia, Giardia and many many more. Actually, giardia can cause bile vomiting.

You know, it lasts long enough to think about parasite, not just stomach flu. As you said, you ruled our surgical pathology.

But poop sample must be very fresh, the best no more 30 minute old, still warm. Then your chances to know what is wrong are the best.

Good luck and hope your baby will get better soon.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
When my vet gave me specimen jar to put in dog poop,they told me it had to be 2 different specimens.

I also vote for comprehensive poop sample analysis! There many ugly parasites that can cause problems, like Coccidia, Giardia and many many more. Actually, giardia can cause bile vomiting.

You know, it lasts long enough to think about parasite, not just stomach flu. As you said, you ruled our surgical pathology.

But poop sample must be very fresh, the best no more 30 minute old, still warm. Then your chances to know what is wrong are the best.

Good luck and hope your baby will get better soon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW... poor guy, sounds like a lot is going on. First off... I would have them check his stools to make sure it's not a parasite. Secondly you have to do a food change very gradually, if you do feed him a bland diet you need to give that several days. My Walter was vomiting a couple of weeks ago and he had a bland diet for almost a week and I gave him boiled rice and ground sirloin. I'm not sure about Canidae dog food, but we always advice to check on www.dogfoodadvisor.com for their food ratings, and we also recommend a grain-free food. When you add his new food give him 1/4 cup at a time w/the bland diet and gradually add more in to see how he reacts. You can also give him PURE pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food to bulk up his stools. I give my guys a tablespoon at a time and see how they react.

I hope this helps, and keep us posted on how he's doing... Welcome to EBN, we are so glad to have you here!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Funny you say that. I took pics of stool but not sample. May be next step.
I use plain yogurt as his "somtimes" snacks, so I know he's good with that.
Thank you for your input.

How is your baby doing? I wondering if it is related to the new environment, something in the area that is messing with his system

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online