URGENT!!! Thickened Urethra wall....

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella Artois and Dozer Jordan
Stella has been having a lot of UTIs lately. She went on Monday for UTI and they recommended an ultrasound to rule out anything. Stella went in for her ultrasound today and the results were a Thickened Urethra wall and possible tumor. All her blood work came back normal. So, we have high hopes that's it's not cancer. We have to start Stella on a chemo/inflammation antibiotic on Monday. After 35 days, we will do another ultrasound see if the medication is working. If not, she will need a biopsy. I was wondering if anyone has had these results as well? My husband and I have been an emotional wreck all day. Please keep Stella in your prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Stella has been having a lot of UTIs lately. She went on Monday for UTI and they recommended an ultrasound to rule out anything. Stella went in for her ultrasound today and the results were a Thickened Urethra wall and possible tumor. All her blood work came back normal. So, we have high hopes that's it's not cancer. We have to start Stella on a chemo/inflammation antibiotic on Monday. After 35 days, we will do another ultrasound see if the medication is working. If not, she will need a biopsy. I was wondering if anyone has had these results as well? My husband and I have been an emotional wreck all day. Please keep Stella in your prayers. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im so sorry for little Stella. Just hang in there as you know Stella is your little trooper. Other members that went through this ordeal will answer you. Sending you positive vibes your way....:pray2:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So sorry to hear about Stella. I hope she doesn't have a tumour. Don't forget to give her probiotics since she's on an antibiotic and make sure she drinks a lot of fluids. Some other herbal remedies that can help with UTIs include slippery elm and d-mannose powder. Turmeric is a great anti-cancer spice but you shouldn't give it if your dog is on chemo or anti-inflammatories.

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank y'all. Yes, as soon as she gets off her antibiotics I'm going to give her d-Mannose and cranberry. I have been adding probiotics to her meals since she is on her antibiotics. They said the pill they were going to start her on works as two things an anti inflammatory and chemo. I'm not really sure how that works, but I'm not a vet.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about Stella, I'm going to tag some members who may be able to help... please keep us posted!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never heard of this, but please PLEASE keep us updated on what you do find out.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Probably piroxicam, an anti inflammatory they use with bladder tumours that seems to have both anti tumour and anti inflammatory actions. It's hard on stomach so they usually prescribe something like famotidine to cut down stomach ulcers to be taken at same time.Dose of peroxicam is 0.15 mg/pound,so if your dog isn't around 67 pounds then you might need to get it compounded since it comes in a 10mg capsule.

Thank y'all. Yes, as soon as she gets off her antibiotics I'm going to give her d-Mannose and cranberry. I have been adding probiotics to her meals since she is on her antibiotics. They said the pill they were going to start her on works as two things an anti inflammatory and chemo. I'm not really sure how that works, but I'm not a vet.

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dollys owner, Thanks for your all your info. Has one of your babies had to go through this? I'm really not sure what they are going to give her yet, but I will keep y'all posted on all of her visits. I hope they give her the other medication as well because Stella weighs around 45 lbs.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
No thankfully they haven't, and I'm so sorry you are going through this. But they are bullies, so I've had to give them lots of meds. But hopefully your baby doesn't have the tumour. If you have to get it, the piroxicam dose would probably be around 6.75 mg, so cheapest way to get the prescription would be to ask the vet to write you a Rx, fill it for 10 mg piroxicam caps at Costco. I'm not sure of stability, so safest way would be to waste 3.25 mg each day. You will need a 3ml syringe and a little 1 oz med cup for mixing. I would open up and mix the capsule with 3ml water, make sure its all shaken up or stirred, then draw up 2ml of the mixture, for example, and throw away the rest. Then give the dog the 2mL. And of course a stomach protectant like misoprostol or famotidine should be given as well since piroxicam is even harder on the stomach than Advil or Aleve.

Dollys owner, Thanks for your all your info. Has one of your babies had to go through this? I'm really not sure what they are going to give her yet, but I will keep y'all posted on all of her visits. I hope they give her the other medication as well because Stella weighs around 45 lbs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this but will be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to sweet Stella.

Please keep us posted

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone! I will keep y'all posted.

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You were right about the medications. They switched her antibiotic from amoxicillin to Trimeth - Sulfa 480mg and Piroxicam 3mg. They didn't give her any stomach protectant though.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
As she had a lot of UTI lately, it is much more likely that it is not a tumour, but rather consequences of infections. When inflammation persists, bcs infection comes back again and again ( almost all women know, cystitis always comes back:bad:), the wall of bladder and urethra become thickened, as it is all infiltrated with leukocytes - blood cells that kill bacteria, buildup of liquid starts and causes walls to swell etc. It never had time to go back to normal as UTI, like you said, were often lately. So, cheer up, it is most likely just UTInconsequences!
I would recommend you besides from medicines doctor gave you, keep her warm, especially don't let her seat with her private parts on cold, etc. I know, it is hot now, but for treating UTI warmth is good. I would even propose you, put a warm water bottle to her privates when she is lying next to you before going to sleep. Warmth helps blood circulation and therefore helps to take away swelling. And wipe her after N 1, so she is not wet in the wind:blush:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would definitely ask them if she's going to be on the piroxicam long term, and if so, can she have a stomach protectant? Do you trust this vet? It seems like she is being treated for both a tumour and a UTI. And the dose of piroxicam seems too low. Very important she takes the piroxicam with food. And for the trimeth-sulfa important she drink a lot of water, so feed her wet dog food- ie. soak her kibble in water or give her reconstituted dehydrated raw or raw or canned food. And for the UTI you should be able to give her the d-mannose powder after the infection is gone.

You were right about the medications. They switched her antibiotic from amoxicillin to Trimeth - Sulfa 480mg and Piroxicam 3mg. They didn't give her any stomach protectant though.

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella has been going to this vet since she was a puppy...I'm trusting them as I know nothing about these meds. Y'all are helping me out tremendously...thank you so much! As of now, she is just on the Piroxicam until she sees them for her next ultrasound. I give her all of these Meds with her food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.