Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thickened Urethra wall....

As she had a lot of UTI lately, it is much more likely that it is not a tumour, but rather consequences of infections. When inflammation persists, bcs infection comes back again and again ( almost all women know, cystitis always comes back), the wall of bladder and urethra become thickened, as it is all infiltrated with leukocytes - blood cells that kill bacteria, buildup of liquid starts and causes walls to swell etc. It never had time to go back to normal as UTI, like you said, were often lately. So, cheer up, it is most likely just UTInconsequences!
    I would recommend you besides from medicines doctor gave you, keep her warm, especially don't let her seat with her private parts on cold, etc. I know, it is hot now, but for treating UTI warmth is good. I would even propose you, put a warm water bottle to her privates when she is lying next to you before going to sleep. Warmth helps blood circulation and therefore helps to take away swelling. And wipe her after N 1, so she is not wet in the wind

2. Likes 2BullyMama, Bhaverstock1 liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I would definitely ask them if she's going to be on the piroxicam long term, and if so, can she have a stomach protectant? Do you trust this vet? It seems like she is being treated for both a tumour and a UTI. And the dose of piroxicam seems too low. Very important she takes the piroxicam with food. And for the trimeth-sulfa important she drink a lot of water, so feed her wet dog food- ie. soak her kibble in water or give her reconstituted dehydrated raw or raw or canned food. And for the UTI you should be able to give her the d-mannose powder after the infection is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaverstock1 View Post
    You were right about the medications. They switched her antibiotic from amoxicillin to Trimeth - Sulfa 480mg and Piroxicam 3mg. They didn't give her any stomach protectant though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes 2BullyMama, Bhaverstock1 liked this post
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella Artois and Dozer Jordan
    Likes (Received)

Stella has been going to this vet since she was a puppy...I'm trusting them as I know nothing about these meds. Y'all are helping me out tremendously...thank you so much! As of now, she is just on the Piroxicam until she sees them for her next ultrasound. I give her all of these Meds with her food.

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Stella has been going to this vet since she was a puppy...I'm trusting them as I know nothing about these meds. Y'all are helping me out tremendously...thank you so much! As of now, she is just on the Piroxicam until she sees them for her next ultrasound. I give her all of these Meds with her food.

Continued prayers fir sweet Stella

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I hope Stella doesn't have a tumour, but if she does, the dose of piroxicam should be 0.15 mg/pound X 45 pounds = 6.75 mg daily. How come vet is only giving 3 mg daily ? The dose of piroxicam as an anti inflammatory ( not for cancer ) is 0.15 mg/pound every 2 days,which would be 6.75 mg every 2 days. so it seems like vet is basically doing a modified version of anti inflammatory dose, doing 3 mg daily instead of 6.75 mg every 2 days.

Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I hope Stella doesn't have a tumour, but if she does, the dose of piroxicam should be 0.15 mg/pound X 45 pounds = 6.75 mg daily. How come vet is only giving 3 mg daily ? The dose of piroxicam as an anti inflammatory ( not for cancer ) is 0.15 mg/pound every 2 days,which would be 6.75 mg every 2 days. so it seems like vet is basically doing a modified version of anti inflammatory dose, doing 3 mg daily instead of 6.75 mg every 2 days.
    I think they took into account her anamnesis of frequent UTI lately and tend to think that it is most likely caused by inflammation, not tumour. This is what I thought first.

Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella Artois and Dozer Jordan
    Likes (Received)

Right now they are treating the inflammation. They said if it is a tumor then it will treat both?!

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I think they are going to do an ultrasound to see if it got worse. I'm not sure if that is a good way to diagnose cancer. I read that there is a blood test called a V-BTA test that is used to screen for transitional cell carcinoma in dogs. The test is only useful if your dog does not have cancer. If the test result is negative, one can be fairly confident that transitional cell carcinoma is not present. If the test is positive, cancer may be present, or the positive test could be due to other disease conditions. The definitive test is to get a tissue specimen for histopathologic investigation.

If it's cancer they should be using a higher dose of piroxicam, plus I'm sure you want to know whether it is cancer or not.

Right now they are treating the inflammation. They said if it is a tumor then it will treat both?!

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads