Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Got my French bulldog Honey ( the one with the bad allergies ) groomed on Saturday and somehow she seemed to have developed some kind of ear allergy or infection on Sunday- scratching at her ear till it was bleeding and shaking her head. I tried the Zymox ear drops on Sunday night and Monday morning and the whole inside of the top part of the ear was still red, so I started her on some Amox/Clav on Monday night that I had left over from when my other dog lost her nail. Today she's looking better. Anyone else had this problem after getting their dog groomed? I have some live water kefir so giving her that as well to prevent diarrhea from the antibiotic.

Is it possible she was already having an ear issue and the grooming just made it worse? Did you ask the groomer what was used? Or maybe water was left in her ear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I didn't ask the groomer anything when I picked her up since she was fine until next day. You're probably right- probably had water trapped in her ear or maybe she had an ear infection starting to develop since her allergies are bad this time of year. Her paws have been hurting her too so she hasn't been walking as much as normal and has seemed quite depressed. Yesterday she saw a cat and got loose and tore after her, despite not wanting to take a walk earlier in day, so I guess she can still run when there's a need LOL

Active culture sauerkraut is great to keep around house-it's much higher in probiotic bacteria than yoghurt. You want to give 1-2 tablespoons to your dog per day, but start with 1/2 that and gradually increase dose over the space of a few days to a week to avoid stomach upset.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Is sauerkraut supposed to be better than a probiotic specifically made for dogs? Some say the probiotics need prebiotics. So how does that factor in with sauerkraut?

https://draxe.com/amasaiforhealth/

https://draxe.com/search-results/?c...ID:9;NB:1&ie=UTF-8&q=probiotics+and+prebiotic

Sauerkraut cause the dogs will eat it. I can give keir or yogurt but trying to stay way from a milky product for now cause of Duke.
Read the links as imknow you'll understand once reading them. It goes a lot more in details.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
https://draxe.com/amasaiforhealth/

https://draxe.com/search-results/?c...ID:9;NB:1&ie=UTF-8&q=probiotics+and+prebiotic

Sauerkraut cause the dogs will eat it. I can give keir or yogurt but trying to stay way from a milky product for now cause of Duke.
Read the links as imknow you'll understand once reading them. It goes a lot more in details.

I tried giving goat's milk kefir to Jax and he always threw it up. He was only able to handle maybe 1 teaspoon and I didn't think at that amount, there was any benefit to it. I would be interested in trying the sauerkraut though. I know my local grocery store sells the Bubbies sauerkraut that is refrigerated.

Oh, and I was just thinking, I know you like to go the natural route so have you tried slippery elm on Duke to see if that helps with his stool?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I tried giving goat's milk kefir to Jax and he always threw it up. He was only able to handle maybe 1 teaspoon and I didn't think at that amount, there was any benefit to it. I would be interested in trying the sauerkraut though. I know my local grocery store sells the Bubbies sauerkraut that is refrigerated.

Oh, and I was just thinking, I know you like to go the natural route so have you tried slippery elm on Duke to see if that helps with his stool?

Bubbies is a great product! Had a long talk with his breeder. She only gives her puppies acana chicken cob NEVER puppy as she said they all get diarrhea. Dont know if its a bully thing but to stay away from puppy food for them. I will give him Nyala's duck and top it like I did to Nyala when she was younger, liver, heart, tripe. Then start him on SF/HK slowly. He's 8nly 5 months old so he needs extra higher proteins in his meals.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbies is a great product! Had a long talk with his breeder. She only gives her puppies acana chicken cob NEVER puppy as she said they all get diarrhea. Dont know if its a bully thing but to stay away from puppy food for them. I will give him Nyala's duck and top it like I did to Nyala when she was younger, liver, heart, tripe. Then start him on SF/HK slowly. He's 8nly 5 months old so he needs extra higher proteins in his meals.

My breeder doesn't start her puppies on puppy food either. Interesting...maybe it is a bully thing?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My breeder doesn't start her puppies on puppy food either. Interesting...maybe it is a bully thing?

I always gave puppy food to all my puppies. But these 2 seems it doesn't work.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I always gave puppy food to all my puppies. But these 2 seems it doesn't work.

hum,, I never did 'puppy' food either but just did pretty much what you did with the added organs, and actually some of the answers goat milk w/ probiotics stuff in it... I was kind of concerned, but, having read that large type dogs don't want to grow too fast, I hoped I was doing the right thing. He did poop a lot, but real easy clean up.... as in nice form..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] how are the boys doing?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The current thinking is that puppies don't need special food, any all stages dog food should be fine. With all stages you know that the calcium and phosphorus are in the right range for proper bone growth.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Jax has been better since last week. Louie seems to be doing better, poops are slowly getting to be back to normal, but he hasn't had diarrhea since the end of last week.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

UPDATE: Louie's poop this morning looked like it is getting back to normal...FINALLY!! What a long, tiring process.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE: Louie's poop this morning looked like it is getting back to normal...FINALLY!! What a long, tiring process.

:whew: great news!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.