Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have a call into the vet and am waiting to hear back but thought I would check in here to see if anyone had any insight.

To give history, Jax (my Frenchie) threw up on June 7. The next day he had loose stool. Louie threw up on June 9 and got loose stool on June 10. By June 12, Jax was better and Louie got full blown diarrhea. Took him to the vet on June 13, and they put him on Metronidazole. Fecal test was negative, they ran a full fecal. By Friday, June 16 Louie's poop was looking better. Saturday morning he pooped and it was almost normal. His Saturday night poop was not super firm but it was not soft serve, had a little shape but it was a lot. Yesterday, he went about 4 or 5 times which is normal for him and again, not firm, but not soft serve and a massive amount and kind of a lighter color. This morning he went and it was a lot and a weird color. I would say the amount coming out of him is what you would see from a full grown large dog.

I told the vet tech all of this and she will talk to the vet and call me back but she said based on the color and the massive amount he is passing, it sounds like an absorption issue. Before he got sick, his stool was your normal poop brown and totally firm. So now I am just sitting here (impatiently) waiting for the call back. I'm hoping he just needs another round of medication and it's nothing more serious.

Any one ever deal with this issue?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Bless your heart. I have no experience- but do offer prayers that you guys find some relief and answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] Uggggg sorry for Louie!! I don't enough bully Mom experience to help you but someone will chime is soon, I'm sure! Just wanted to say sorry for your pup and send well wishes from Joey and I

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I have a call into the vet and am waiting to hear back but thought I would check in here to see if anyone had any insight.

To give history, Jax (my Frenchie) threw up on June 7. The next day he had loose stool. Louie threw up on June 9 and got loose stool on June 10. By June 12, Jax was better and Louie got full blown diarrhea. Took him to the vet on June 13, and they put him on Metronidazole. Fecal test was negative, they ran a full fecal. By Friday, June 16 Louie's poop was looking better. Saturday morning he pooped and it was almost normal. His Saturday night poop was not super firm but it was not soft serve, had a little shape but it was a lot. Yesterday, he went about 4 or 5 times which is normal for him and again, not firm, but not soft serve and a massive amount and kind of a lighter color. This morning he went and it was a lot and a weird color. I would say the amount coming out of him is what you would see from a full grown large dog.

I told the vet tech all of this and she will talk to the vet and call me back but she said based on the color and the massive amount he is passing, it sounds like an absorption issue. Before he got sick, his stool was your normal poop brown and totally firm. So now I am just sitting here (impatiently) waiting for the call back. I'm hoping he just needs another round of medication and it's nothing more serious.

Any one ever deal with this issue?

What food is the dog on? Sorry to everybody but here I go again! We had awful poop problems and it's all been solved by raw feeding. I go on about it in nearly every post as I read so many like this here and on Facebook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
What food is the dog on? Sorry to everybody but here I go again! We had awful poop problems and it's all been solved by raw feeding. I go on about it in nearly every post as I read so many like this here and on Facebook.

Jax is on raw and Louie is on Fromm right now. Louie is 4 months old and I can't switch him to raw until after he gets neutered because he has type III cystinuria. And I have to be careful with feeding him too high of protein until he gets neutered as well. I was thinking of trying out Grandma Lucy's which is freeze dried raw and there are a couple of formulas that aren't too protein heavy.

It may very well just be a bug he can't shake as Jax had diarrhea too right before Louie did but he is 4 years old and has a stronger immune system than Louie.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Jax is on raw and Louie is on Fromm right now. Louie is 4 months old and I can't switch him to raw until after he gets neutered because he has type III cystinuria. And I have to be careful with feeding him too high of protein until he gets neutered as well. I was thinking of trying out Grandma Lucy's which is freeze dried raw and there are a couple of formulas that aren't too protein heavy.

It may very well just be a bug he can't shake as Jax had diarrhea too right before Louie did but he is 4 years old and has a stronger immune system than Louie.

I see well yes it does seem like they both caught something. I hope you can get an answer soon that is the most difficult thing to deal with [emoji40]
Wishing you all the best.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This sounds more like they caught a virus of sorts and passed it on to one another. I know that when Tyson was eating raw, he got lysteria... oh my God that was awful. It was coming out of both ends, and literally the day after the company we were buying it from put out the recall. :w00t:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Would have to agree with Jessica. Btw what colour is the poop....any blood?

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Would have to agree with Jessica. Btw what colour is the poop....any blood?

No blood. It has shape but kind of squishy. Color is kind of light. Maybe beige or tan. Just not your normal brown poop color. I have also been giving The Honest Kitchen bone broth. Maybe that is causing an issue? I think the amount that is coming out each time is what has me thinking. It's insane.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I make bone broth lots and I 'think' it's so darn healthy that your suppose to start slow???? I'm sure you read how much and I have no idea as I don't have any directions, just my memory was (from Karen becker) to start slow... and it sort of makes sense it could be it..

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just heard back from vet's office. They want to do another week of the Metronidazole and they want me to try a different probiotic. I've been using Bene-bac which is a pre and probiotic. So the vet sent home some Fortiflora at no charge. I am not thrilled about it since it is made by Purina. If no improvement after the week, they will want to do a GI profile.
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] I was giving the recommended amount of the bone broth but maybe it was too much too soon??? Who knows. These bellies of theirs can be so sensitive. So I'm going to back off the bone broth just to see if there is any difference.

Wish us luck!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Just heard back from vet's office. They want to do another week of the Metronidazole and they want me to try a different probiotic. I've been using Bene-bac which is a pre and probiotic. So the vet sent home some Fortiflora at no charge. I am not thrilled about it since it is made by Purina. If no improvement after the week, they will want to do a GI profile.
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] I was giving the recommended amount of the bone broth but maybe it was too much too soon??? Who knows. These bellies of theirs can be so sensitive. So I'm going to back off the bone broth just to see if there is any difference.

Wish us luck!

surly wishin you luck :) and I may be wrong about the broth, but I think it can be so rich with minerals that mabie that's the color it's giving... aww heck, glad you have the vet working with you! It'll all get straightened out :)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

Wish us luck!

SO glad to hear you heard from the Vet, waiting for them feels like an ETERNITY!!

Ellie and I send our best to Louie!! Feel Better!! I was not thrilled when Ellie's vet sent it home for her, but at the time she was having explosive watery poop, THANKFULLY, the fortiflora with some pumpkin and for a couple days did the trick.

Just curious, have you done a 24 hour fast with louie to give his belly time to settle and then slowly introduce some "bland" foods, I did this with Ellie. and for the bland diet I used a 1/2 cup boiled low fat turkey mixed with a table spoon of pumpkin for 2 days, then slowly added her kibble back, along with the Probiotics, just a thought...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No blood. It has shape but kind of squishy. Color is kind of light. Maybe beige or tan. Just not your normal brown poop color. I have also been giving The Honest Kitchen bone broth. Maybe that is causing an issue? I think the amount that is coming out each time is what has me thinking. It's insane.

Duke has been pooping the exact same description from what you are saying. Remember I posted somewhere else hes poops non stop 10x a day (around month ago I think lol) ive cut his food to 2 cups a day so poops a lot less. But still same beige, soft n still bright red blood which is caused by stress. Nyala plays rough with him too. Hes still on Acana chicken for puppy. I add very often pumpkin but never once ive seen solid poop outof this squirt. How much is he eating per day? BTW, anything from RC or Purina the vets gets a % !!!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SO glad to hear you heard from the Vet, waiting for them feels like an ETERNITY!!

Ellie and I send our best to Louie!! Feel Better!! I was not thrilled when Ellie's vet sent it home for her, but at the time she was having explosive watery poop, THANKFULLY, the fortiflora with some pumpkin and for a couple days did the trick.

Just curious, have you done a 24 hour fast with louie to give his belly time to settle and then slowly introduce some "bland" foods, I did this with Ellie. and for the bland diet I used a 1/2 cup boiled low fat turkey mixed with a table spoon of pumpkin for 2 days, then slowly added her kibble back, along with the Probiotics, just a thought...

I felt like I waited forever for that call back...I gave no patience!

So after it started I gave him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for 3-4 days. One of those days I did fast him for his lunch and dinner. We'll see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions