Help Needed! new puppies eyes look puffy

Diane Colbert

Jun 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Luke
Hello. I'm a new OBE mom. I have an almost 8 week old puppy and his eyes seem irritated. He doesn't whine or scratch at them, and doesn't rub them. I can't tell if it's just tear stain or if they are swollen. We are feeding him Life's Abundance grain free "all life stages" food. He had been eating Old Roy before we got him. Here are two pictures. I hope someone can advise. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20170614_145122.jpg
    20170614_145122.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Luke 7 weeks old.jpg
    Luke 7 weeks old.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 184

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg he's gorgeous and you have come to the right place for info !!! great experienced folks! i'll let them handle it, but wanted to welcome you and your new baby... your in for some amazing fun :) they're the kookiest breed I've ever had the pleasure of sharing my home with...

OP
D

Diane Colbert

Jun 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Luke
Thank you :) I'm so excited about having him, but also nervous about his health after reading so much about what can go wrong. Hank looks amazing! Not sure why I can't get bigger pics when I click on people's pictures....??

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you :) I'm so excited about having him, but also nervous about his health after reading so much about what can go wrong. Hank looks amazing! Not sure why I can't get bigger pics when I click on people's pictures....??

I'm also the wrong one to ask about anything computer..lol but!! oh how I understand your 'nerves' about health as though I am totally completely in love with my hank, I would not (at my age 66) have chose a dog who potentially could have SO many issues! He's totally worth it and hasn't caused any issues so far (has had the soft palate and nares surgery) and so far sooooooooooo nice and healthy!!! Theres so much to learn so enjoy... They are so precious your certainly going to enjoy the little guy...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi! Welcome :)

So the first pic looks like some puffiness, but I do see tear stains below..... second pic looks normal. Can you tell visually that its swollen or larger than usual?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes...2nd photo looks normal. The food you're giving him has a lot of carbs. It's rank high but has more cabs than protein or fat. 2nd and 3rd ingredients are brown rice n oat groutes. He's just a pup that needs good fat n protein n less carbs.

One thing to check is if he sleeps on a doggy bed make sure there is no saw dust in it.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What a gorgeous boy! So glad you got him off that awful Ol Roy! It could take a little while to get that food and its effects out of his system. I have no experience with puppies but others that do will be along to advise. Welcome!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
They don't necessarily look too puffy, but they do look watery... he obviously has some tear staining going on. What are you feeding him?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
They don't necessarily look too puffy, but they do look watery... he obviously has some tear staining going on. What are you feeding him?

Life's Abundance grain free
A lot of carbs!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello. I'm a new OBE mom. I have an almost 8 week old puppy and his eyes seem irritated. He doesn't whine or scratch at them, and doesn't rub them. I can't tell if it's just tear stain or if they are swollen. We are feeding him Life's Abundance grain free "all life stages" food. He had been eating Old Roy before we got him. Here are two pictures. I hope someone can advise. Thank you.

Hi there and welcome!! Luke is a cutie pie!! I can't add anything about his eyes, sorry, I have no experience there.

BUT I do feed Joey Life's Abundance and you should switch to their puppy food. I had Joey on the puppy formula for almost a year then switched to All Stages. She has never had any issues, thank God, really healthy and loves the kibble.

Is there a reason that you did not go with the puppy formula?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi there and welcome!! Luke is a cutie pie!! I can't add anything about his eyes, sorry, I have no experience there.

BUT I do feed Joey Life's Abundance and you should switch to their puppy food. I had Joey on the puppy formula for almost a year then switched to All Stages. She has never had any issues, thank God, really healthy and loves the kibble.

Is there a reason that you did not go with the puppy formula?

Righto missy!!!!Puppy needs puppy food or raw.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=17252]Diane Colbert[/MENTION] first i would like to say he is a cutie About his eyes, I owned a shar-pie who's eye's looked alot like your Luke's He had a condition known as entropia. They are puffy at the bottom because the eyelids and eyelashes are tucked in. The eyes become watery and red as the eyelashes rub against the eye. Your vet will be able to tell you if in fact that's what is going on with your Luke.

Hope this helps!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

MY goodness... he is a ball of cuteness, love those EARS... he has freckles on them !!!!

I would have his eyes checked for eyelashes growing in ... going to tag some members with experience on the eyelashes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Diane Colbert first i would like to say he is a cutie About his eyes, I owned a shar-pie who's eye's looked alot like your Luke's He had a condition known as entropia. They are puffy at the bottom because the eyelids and eyelashes are tucked in. The eyes become watery and red as the eyelashes rub against the eye. Your vet will be able to tell you if in fact that's what is going on with your Luke.

Hope this helps!

This is what I was thinking ^^^^^^

Members online