ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My wonderful vet is NOW fully operating, so she came by today to do the annuals on the pups and take Wallygator's blood again...

Walter's potassium, thyroid and electrolyte levels were perfect!!! SO now we are attributing his flank hair loss to seasonal alopecia, which I'm NOT going to treat w/the melatonin. Since I'm giving him the Zyrtec now, he was zombie like w/the melatonin added in so I'm just going to keep up with his eye allergies now. She did order the Cytopoint injections to have on hand if we feel he has reached this point. He weighs 65 pounds now (BIG BOY) but she feels he looks perfect, so I'm going to start the food trial to see if this helps w/his allergy issues. Ugh... and so it begins...

Willow is of course the little perfect princess... she weighs in at 38 pounds so she's putting on some weight. She doesn't have ANY allergy issues except for an interdigital cyst which is already healing up, Thank goodness!!!

Thanks for all the advice and support... you have NO idea how much you guys have helped me w/my babies!!! :drawheart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm happy the kids are both so healthy... at least you are able to focus on his allergies and behavior.

When do you give the melatonin and how much? I give Lambeau 5 mg with dinner and it has no impact on him.

Always here for you. Xoxo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Wonderful news! So glad to hear all is well.

Wondering why you give melatonin. I take it sometimes to help me sleep.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
What a WONDERFUL update!!! I love Wally and Willow....and I especially LOVE seeing great updates! Hugs from Joey and I !

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm happy the kids are both so healthy... at least you are able to focus on his allergies and behavior.

When do you give the melatonin and how much? I give Lambeau 5 mg with dinner and it has no impact on him.

Always here for you. Xoxo

I was giving him 3mg melatonin with the benadryl at snack time (usually around 8pm). He was like a zombie the next morning...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

Some people claim that melatonin helps the hair to grow back faster... I'm not sure if it works or not. It makes Walter SO tired along w/his allergy meds.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Some people claim that melatonin helps the hair to grow back faster, I'm not sure if it works or not.
It makes Walter SO tired along w/his allergy meds.[/QUOTE]

Life is good when our babies are well, thanks for reporting back, congrats on good news.

Came has developed areas on one side, at 9 yrs old, I'm not giving her any meds not
absolutely needed. She gets a Benadryl during allergy season, beginning of Spring & Fall
in Texas. Fortunately, her allergies are mild and her health is great, a huge blessing! Cami
is a big girl, why she was a breeder and up to 65 lbs again (I'd had her down to 58 lbs). If
she looks at food she gains weight, lol. When I'm down due to health issues & my son & gf
are in charge, she gains, they just won't take my advice seriously, grrrr Even at 65 lbs she
isn't obese because of such a large frame but feels better at less weight so got her on diet
again :) I went to my Rheumy for reg checkup & weighed the same as a year ago (140 lbs).
Pretty much the last 5 or 6 yrs, was 135 since turning 50 but am so inactive due to fatigue &
pain that I'm glad it's not more, I eat sweets very sparingly and mostly fruit. Small portions,
lots of veggies and avoid fast/processed foods & as much organic as can do on limited income.

Love to all, XOXO

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have had Monty on Benadryl as maintenance to keep his paw licking at bay. 50mg twice a day and he weighs usually around 65lbs so somewhat underdosed. His weight does fluctuate a bit. I recently took him off that and now he is on Zyrtec. I have a new dog!!! He has more energy, that's for sure! Unfortunatetly, the vacuum cleaner is suffering from this renewed energy, he couldn't be bothered with it too much before! I also tried Melatonin for his SFA but I really don't think it made any difference. IIRC, he wasn't on Benedryl at the time and I can't remember it making him overly tired but it was a couple of years ago now.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

Some people claim that melatonin helps the hair to grow back faster... I'm not sure if it works or not. It makes Walter SO tired along w/his allergy meds.

I doubt very much it help hair to grow back. Dogs are the only animal that has the exact health issues as humans. Why scientists rather study on them than monkeys to help the diseases we humans. Anyway that's another story.... for melatonin my best friend back home been using that since it's out on the market. She sleeps very well but her hair isnt any thicker from day one. I dont sleep much so she told me about melatonin back then. I started using it but each time I did I wake up with headaches. 10ish years later I tried it again same thing. On some ppl it will give headaches. Im telling you this cause dogs gets same health issues as humans. Why I dont believe in melatonin growing hair. I would go more with biotin or give liver, egg yolk...Here's a good article on dog skin care.
(approximately 5 mg*biotin/10 kg body weight/day) for 3 to 5 weeks)

https://animalwellnessmagazine.com/biotin-dog-skincare/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was giving him 3mg melatonin with the benadryl at snack time (usually around 8pm). He was like a zombie the next morning...

We give Lambeau 5 mg with dinner at around 430 5 o'clock it has no impact on his ability or inability to sleep there's no grogginess the next morning. Our vet told us not to give t it at bedtime because there may grogginess...as for fur loss I have not seen additional loss but nothing has returned and has not gotten worse so basically I'm controlling it somehow. I also give him vitamin D 2000 IU twice a day

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Some people claim that melatonin helps the hair to grow back faster, I'm not sure if it works or not.
It makes Walter SO tired along w/his allergy meds.

Life is good when our babies are well, thanks for reporting back, congrats on good news.

Came has developed areas on one side, at 9 yrs old, I'm not giving her any meds not
absolutely needed. She gets a Benadryl during allergy season, beginning of Spring & Fall
in Texas. Fortunately, her allergies are mild and her health is great, a huge blessing! Cami
is a big girl, why she was a breeder and up to 65 lbs again (I'd had her down to 58 lbs). If
she looks at food she gains weight, lol. When I'm down due to health issues & my son & gf
are in charge, she gains, they just won't take my advice seriously, grrrr Even at 65 lbs she
isn't obese because of such a large frame but feels better at less weight so got her on diet
again :) I went to my Rheumy for reg checkup & weighed the same as a year ago (140 lbs).
Pretty much the last 5 or 6 yrs, was 135 since turning 50 but am so inactive due to fatigue &
pain that I'm glad it's not more, I eat sweets very sparingly and mostly fruit. Small portions,
lots of veggies and avoid fast/processed foods & as much organic as can do on limited income.

Love to all, XOXO[/QUOTE]

I'm SO glad to hear that you & Cam are doing well... much LOVE to you both!!! :heartsign:

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt very much it help hair to grow back. Dogs are the only animal that has the exact health issues as humans. Why scientists rather study on them than monkeys to help the diseases we humans. Anyway that's another story.... for melatonin my best friend back home been using that since it's out on the market. She sleeps very well but her hair isnt any thicker from day one. I dont sleep much so she told me about melatonin back then. I started using it but each time I did I wake up with headaches. 10ish years later I tried it again same thing. On some ppl it will give headaches. Im telling you this cause dogs gets same health issues as humans. Why I dont believe in melatonin growing hair. I would go more with biotin or give liver, egg yolk...Here's a good article on dog skin care.
(approximately 5 mg*biotin/10 kg body weight/day) for 3 to 5 weeks)

https://animalwellnessmagazine.com/biotin-dog-skincare/

I agree, I'm not bothering w/the melatonin. I don't care if his hair is thin... Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It seems that if I started giving them melatonin towards the end of winter,they did not get SA. Giving it to them once they got it,the melatonin didn't do any good.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I try to get Monty in the sun as much as possible (Texas weather permitting), but mostly in the winter months. (Ha! that's a joke, what winter?!!) His coat is thinner and his skin darker on his sides but he hasn't lost his fur yet. I am hoping it stays that way but if it doesn't, it isnt the end of the world.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Both Lockjaw and Penny got flank alopecia this year. Penny's patches were much smaller than Lockjaws. Our vet recommended we add Omega 3's to their daily diet. Specifically the brand "Nordic Naturals". They've been on it for about 2 months now. Penny's patches are almost filled in. One side completely filled, the other is well on its way. Lockjaws patches were pretty big on both sides. His patches look soooo much better and are about 1/2 way filled in. I also try to get them outside as much as I can as well. Well, as much as summer in NC will allow.
But I would definitely recommend the Nordic Naturals Omega 3's. I order mine from chewy.com.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.