AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
My poor Henry's eyes water a bunch. We try to keep them dry and clean with witch hazel, but I was really sick over the weekend and neglected his grooming. Now his tear ducts are red and inflamed and one side looks very raw. Any advice on what I can put on him to soothe and heal it? I don't want to just put anything on as it's almost an open wound. I think he also itched it with his paw and skinned some off. Please help as I'm worried he's in pain :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Could you take a pic of his eye and post it? You should contact the vet to make sure this isn't an eyelash issue, and just allergies... we have the same problem w/Walter. I just started giving him Zyrtec and it seems to really help w/the eye's watering. You can also use saline drops to wash out the eyes... but PLEASE make sure to have the vet look at his eyes to make sure he doesn't have an ulcer. They can be extremely painful for them...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
you can also put desitin or butt paste on the folds (right after drying them) so the drip goes over, but you need to get to the Cause as well... Don't know how raw your speaking so not super sure to put the paste over that. Mine had inward growing eyelashes... Got that taken care of and mostly better... still some, but not how it was..

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Thank you for the reply! It is very, very raw. And it like crusty? As well. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting anything on it besides some sort of healing ointment. I will definitely look into an underlying reason. Is there anything you think will help him heal? Maybe neosporin or aquafor?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'd give him cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound orally once daily to start with. The vet can check eye to see if there'st an ulcer or scratch if Henry's eyes are getting worse.

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
IMG_0162.JPG

Here it is. It's not really his eye it's more of the fold that the tears fall into. It looks so painful and I'm feeling so awful. Do you think this needs a vet trip or is there anything over the counter I can apply to it to soothe him?

He is also prescribed appoquel for his allergies as is, and he gets Benadryl when it's especially bad.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
View attachment 106501

Here it is. It's not really his eye it's more of the fold that the tears fall into. It looks so painful and I'm feeling so awful. Do you think this needs a vet trip or is there anything over the counter I can apply to it to soothe him?

He is also prescribed appoquel for his allergies as is, and he gets Benadryl when it's especially bad.

hummmm, I still 'think' I would be comfortable to put the paste as it's for a raw baby butt.... sooths and helps the rash. I hope someone else chimes in.. to me it just looks raw from the drip but others may see something clearer.

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I think I'm going to give the vet a call and ask about it, to be safe. I'm hoping it's just from the drip and doesn't mean anything too serious. Thank you for your help

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
View attachment 106501

This is what happens to my Walter... I just started giving him Zyrtec because that seems to do better for eye issues. Since Henry's on appoquel then I would continue w/that, but ask the vet about using Zyrtec instead of the Benadryl and see if that works better for him. I use duoxo pads on Walter eye folds (Amazon) or you can use witch hazel on a cotton pad. If it's very wet then I will add some Gold's Bond powder, but be very careful NOT to get the powder into his eye. I put some in a small ketchup bottle to control how much comes out. Some people on here use baby rash ointment, honestly whatever you have on hand try it and see if it works. Basically the key is keeping it dry, and cleaning it on a daily basis.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I use Desitin if Monty's folds start to look a bit raw. It clears it up quickly. I would think Aquafor would work well too.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
View attachment 106501

I would clean and dry the area, then apply a small amount of some Desitin, (baby ointment) you'll see improvement in a day - promise! He shouldn't be able to lick that area...

13682489.jpg

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Also if you've got carpet or area rugs, make sure he's not rubbing his face on them. Sadie does that if her face is itchy and she'll rub her folds raw until they bleed. So I don't allow her unattended on carpet.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Since the wrinkles are so bad you can try this regimen that I use that works great for my bully with a lot of eye drainage:
Step 1: Wet a round cosmetic pad and put a dab of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo on it and mix it into pad ( eg. malaseb, curaseb, ketohex shampoo ) and wipe out wrinkles with it
Step 2: Wipe out wrinkles with a new cosmetic pad that just has water on it
Step 3: Dry wrinkles with dry cosmetic pads

Members online

No members online now.