General Question Red nipple

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Haven't been on here in a while but I'm back with a question. George has an enlarged nipple it is red and sticks out all the others are flat against his body and regular skin coloured. I can't manage to get a shot of it as he is not happy to roll over for me. I am heading to the vet tomorrow but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this might be. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
all I could think is he scratched it up somewhere? or got bit? Good luck,,, let us know if ya could what it is... I'm sure the stinker is going to be good at the vet???? Hanks a monster!!!! a happy one but still a monster!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sorry, I don't have any idea. I hope all goes well at the Vets tomorrow, please let us know what they say.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thank you both I will certainly let you know.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Haven't been on here in a while but I'm back with a question. George has an enlarged nipple it is red and sticks out all the others are flat against his body and regular skin coloured. I can't manage to get a shot of it as he is not happy to roll over for me. I am heading to the vet tomorrow but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this might be. Thanks in advance.

Hey there!!! Hard to say without seeing it.... hoping it just needs a good cleaning or is scratched.

Keep us posted, please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I was gonna say could he have scratched it? Maybe scratch that led to small infection? I'd guess that or a bug bite maybe?....

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Can't hurt to put some Nu-Stock or Neosporin cream on it.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thank you everyone it probably is nothing much I hope not anyway, we will be heading to the vet in a few hours and I will update later [emoji1303]

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
will be interested to hear... Often, when we go to water areas, we come back with a nibble of some sort that just needs time to heal. Hope that's all that is with yours :)

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
So we are back from the vet the nipple is just a skin irritation we also had the vet check his ears which were a bit crusty and he had some interdigital cysts which the vet says are all symptoms of sensitive skin he gave a shot of Dex (that's the short version of the very long medical name) I think it's a anti inflammatory so an antibiotic shot was also given. We also have a course of steroids which may need to be continued throughout his life (I'm not happy about this but if it keeps him well that's all that matters) I know my vet wouldn't recommend this unless he thought it was necessary as he isn't into over medicating and avoids it if possible.
Thank you all so much for your support yet again in our time of need it is much appreciated always ❤️

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So we are back from the vet the nipple is just a skin irritation we also had the vet check his ears which were a bit crusty and he had some interdigital cysts which the vet says are all symptoms of sensitive skin he gave a shot of Dex (that's the short version of the very long medical name) I think it's a anti inflammatory so an antibiotic shot was also given. We also have a course of steroids which may need to be continued throughout his life (I'm not happy about this but if it keeps him well that's all that matters) I know my vet wouldn't recommend this unless he thought it was necessary as he isn't into over medicating and avoids it if possible.
Thank you all so much for your support yet again in our time of need it is much appreciated always ❤️

Sounds good and glad you got things sorted out. Now we just hope for short term... thanks for update ;)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
What food do you have your dog on? It could be environmental allergies, but it could also be partly food related. I wouldn't worry about a short course of steroids but if it's going to be long term I'd ask about getting Cytopoint injections. It's new so no long term data but so far has been considered to be the safest of all the immune supressants.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Live time steroids???? Errrrrr you better start asking questions on that. I would be the first to go against that for sure. What kind of food is he feed? Go holistic before steroids would be my way. Panting is a big side effect so image a breed like EB panting more? Like a double whammy. Ask as much questions as you can n write them down if you have to. Sometimes we forget. Here's a link that might help you with your questions.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/steroid-treatment-long-term-effects-in-dogs

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Glad it was nothing serious! I know your vet wouldn't steer you wrong, but I wouldn't keep George on steroids long term. They are fine to use intermittently, and as needed....but not for long term use. Hopefully this was just a random flare up and he'll be good soon! Do you give him benadryl? Maybe that would help him through rough patches of allergies!

Please give our hugs to George!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What food do you have your dog on? It could be environmental allergies, but it could also be partly food related. I wouldn't worry about a short course of steroids but if it's going to be long term I'd ask about getting Cytopoint injections. It's new so no long term data but so far has been considered to be the safest of all the immune supressants.

Olive lives in Ireland and i think George is on raw food... not sure cytopoint is available there or not, but if i remember right... he has some of both food and environmental which is why Olive went raw for George
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION] Hope I remember that all correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.