Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Okay, both dogs have loose stool. Really loose, shooting out (sorry). They don't eat the same food and there hasn't been anything new added in. I'll get some pumpkin today to give them and make sure they stay hydrated. Jax goes to daycare so I guess it's possible he brought something home. They're both acting normal.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... well first of all I would say it's either something that the one picked up at the daycare (gastrointestinal bug) or they both got into something. Any mushrooms in the yard or anything else you can think of?!!

I would give them a bland diet of rice and either boiled sirloin or chicken. The pumpkin is a great idea as well, and keep an eye on them... if you suspect it's getting worse or if they start vomiting or just acting off I would consult a vet immediately.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ugh... well first of all I would say it's either something that the one picked up at the daycare (gastrointestinal bug) or they both got into something. Any mushrooms in the yard or anything else you can think of?!!

I would give them a bland diet of rice and either boiled sirloin or chicken. The pumpkin is a great idea as well, and keep an eye on them... if you suspect it's getting worse or if they start vomiting or just acting off I would consult a vet immediately.

I suppose they could have gotten into something outside as well. They're running around playing right now which is good.

I'm going to get some chicken too and do the bland diet. I also just read that slippery elm is good for digestive distress and I already have some. So I'll try that too. I'll give it another day and or so and if no improvement or if it worsens, call the vet.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I suppose they could have gotten into something outside as well. They're running around playing right now which is good.

I'm going to get some chicken too and do the bland diet. I also just read that slippery elm is good for digestive distress and I already have some. So I'll try that too. I'll give it another day and or so and if no improvement or if it worsens, call the vet.

I forgot to mention that make sure they are drinking water, check their gums for nice pink color and no pasty or sticky gums (signs of dehydration). You can give them some ice chips or popsicles to keep they hydrated. I always keep lemon popsicles on hand for the dogs, just the small ones... they seem to enjoy them on hot days.

If you notice any bloody stool of course contact the vets... that could be a sign on an intestinal bug. I always try and give my pups a day or two before I contact the vets. If you think that chicken may be an allergy issue you can do the ground sirloin, that is what I give my pups.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I forgot to mention that make sure they are drinking water, check their gums for nice pink color and no pasty or sticky gums (signs of dehydration). You can give them some ice chips or popsicles to keep they hydrated. I always keep lemon popsicles on hand for the dogs, just the small ones... they seem to enjoy them on hot days.

If you notice any bloody stool of course contact the vets... that could be a sign on an intestinal bug. I always try and give my pups a day or two before I contact the vets. If you think that chicken may be an allergy issue you can do the ground sirloin, that is what I give my pups.

I am definitely making sure they stay hydrated.

And yeah, I don't want to run to the vet in case it's just a little bug so I plan on trying the pumpkin, bland diet, and slippery elm for a couple days and if those don't help, call the vet.

The fact that it's both of them makes me think it's a bug.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Pepto Bismol or KaoPectate liquid 1 cc per 10 pounds body weight up to 3 times daily is good. Also start both dogs on a good probiotic. If diarrhea is really liquidy again, I would feed just the extra water left over from boiling plain white rice, not even the rice itself till tomorrow.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Double the 'fun'.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.