Cost of cytopoint vs Apoquel

MDBulldogs

Jul 29, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny & Lola
IMG_0757.JPGWe have a 2yr old bulldog with outdoor allergies. After being outside for 20 minutes she swells up and gets hives all over her. Itches her face and licks her paws constantly. We've only been on Apoquel for a week but it was night and day. She is back to her old self, no scratching. Since it's only been a week, there appears to be no immediate signs of side effects but we will have to monitor. As for the cost, we pay $40 for a month's supply.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just wondering if anyone has tried Respit immunotherapy which is targeted for different regions of North America and doesn't require allergy testing, and did you save a lot of money in the process compared to getting tested and getting regulary immunotherapy. I've heard it's quite good.

RESPIT - The Practical Alternative to Allergy Testing for Pets | Pet Allergy Relief

First i heard of it.... thx will read up and ask my vet his thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Heska,Bio-Medical services, RESPIT and Nelco are offering sublingual formulations of their immunotherapy vaccines but only RESPIT sells a shotgun formulation that includes MOST allergens that doesn't require your dog's allergies to be tested first. Makes sense to me- apparently up to 75% of dogs are helped by immunotherapy, and only 20% by antihistamines, which is considered a placebo percentage. My Frenchie is doing much better since I switched to EasyRaw turkey dog food, but she is still scratching quite a bit, so I think I would like to step up my game and get her immunotherapy if it's not too expensive. Although Cytopoint seems safe (much safer than Apoquel) it's new out ( and was only tested in beagles who are considered to be pretty healthy as far as dogs go ) and requires lifelong therapy, whereas immunotherapy may be a cure after 5 years (long time I know).

First i heard of it.... thx will read up and ask my vet his thoughts

tracyevearitt

Sep 1, 2017
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruxin
I am not sure where everyone on here is from but apparently Cytopoint costs way more here. For my 60 lb bulldog it is $140. We just gave it to him yesterday so I am not sure if it works yet or not. I guess we tried Apoquel in the past with no real results. I know the Prednisone he was on before helped (and was very inexpensive) but not a long term solution. Can anyone attest to going to a dermatologist and having allergy testing done? We are possibly looking into that. I have no idea the cost but $140 shots every month seems like a lot considering they do nothing to get rid of the actual allergy. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am not sure where everyone on here is from but apparently Cytopoint costs way more here. For my 60 lb bulldog it is $140. We just gave it to him yesterday so I am not sure if it works yet or not. I guess we tried Apoquel in the past with no real results. I know the Prednisone he was on before helped (and was very inexpensive) but not a long term solution. Can anyone attest to going to a dermatologist and having allergy testing done? We are possibly looking into that. I have no idea the cost but $140 shots every month seems like a lot considering they do nothing to get rid of the actual allergy. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

I had allergy testing done and found out Jax is allergic to everything green outside. If there is an allergy, nothing is going to get rid of it. You'll know what the allergy is and how to treat and maintain it but allergies don't go away. My Frenchie seems to be able to go 6-7 weeks before needing the next Cytopoint injection.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
It is based on weight. Sadie is 61lbs. I live in Florida and was paying almost twice that price at her dermatologist. My regular vet was much cheaper and that's where I get it now.
this is a delayed comment but you could consider giving Sadie 1/2 of an 16mg pill instead of 1.5 of the 5.4mg pill which would save you money. Our vet carries every dose pill at the same cost. One of our bullies gets 1/2 and the other gets a whole 16mg pill.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

My guy is 58lbs, we are in PA and the shot is running right at $100... every 4-5 weeks. 5 weeks was definitely his limit as the itching and dirty ears started kicking back in.

Members online