Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Soooo, talked to my regular vet about changing from Apoquel to cytopoint shots. She asked if Sadie having issues with Apoquel (she's not). Advised she doesn't carry the cytopoint yet as her patients all doing well with Apoquel. Plus she said the shots are costly, much more than the Apoquel. Sadies 61lbs and takes 1 1/2 Apoquel doseage 5.4mg per pill. If I figure right that's 7.6mg daily. I've tried several times lowering doseage but she's miserable. Currently paying $133 for 100 pills which is a little over 2 month supply. So maybe the Apoquel is more affordable after all. Confused :hmm:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Soooo, talked to my regular vet about changing from Apoquel to cytopoint shots. She asked if Sadie having issues with Apoquel (she's not). Advised she doesn't carry the cytopoint yet as her patients all doing well with Apoquel. Plus she said the shots are costly, much more than the Apoquel. Sadies 61lbs and takes 1 1/2 Apoquel doseage 5.4mg per pill. If I figure right that's 7.6mg daily. I've tried several times lowering doseage but she's miserable. Currently paying $133 for 100 pills which is a little over 2 month supply. So maybe the Apoquel is more affordable after all. Confused :hmm:

I don't believe that the Cytopoint is much more costly than the Apoquel. Maybe it depends on your area. I paid $58 plus tax for 30 pills of Apoquel 5.4 mg and that lasted me a month. For the Cytopoint injection I paid about $62 plus tax. So the difference between the two was really not that much. We are on week 3 right now and while there is still a little bit of paw licking, it is a lot less than it was on the Apoquel and the scratching has been almost non-existent. And like you, Jax could not go 1 day without a pill.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Hi all... I have a question, Nico is on Apoquel and it's totally controlling his itchiness which is about the only symptom of his allergies. I understand that Apoquel just takes care of the symptoms not the problem but if he's not having any issues that I can see and allergies are under control should I be giving him allergy medication with the Apoquel? I figured that if the Apoquel is taking care of his symptoms why should I give him another medication? Do you guys agree?

Thanks in advance... this site is great.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Lambeau is 58lbs and his shot is lasting about 4 weeks and they are 90$ each

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all... I have a question, Nico is on Apoquel and it's totally controlling his itchiness which is about the only symptom of his allergies. I understand that Apoquel just takes care of the symptoms not the problem but if he's not having any issues that I can see and allergies are under control should I be giving him allergy medication with the Apoquel? I figured that if the Apoquel is taking care of his symptoms why should I give him another medication? Do you guys agree?

I would not.... but I have never given Apoquel. I do know that some dogs with severe allergies will need apoquel or another allergy med with Cytopoint, but it is very low percentage.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I would not.... but I have never given Apoquel. I do know that some dogs with severe allergies will need apoquel or another allergy med with Cytopoint, but it is very low percentage.

Thank you, that's what I thought.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

When Jax was on Apoquel and the pollen count was crazy high, I would sometimes give Benadryl as well. But if the Apoquel is controlling everything, no need to give another medication on top of that. If you wanted, you can look into doing the Cytopoint instead of the Apoquel.

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady

I agree with Christine and Citty, the less meds the best

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I don't believe that the Cytopoint is much more costly than the Apoquel. Maybe it depends on your area. I paid $58 plus tax for 30 pills of Apoquel 5.4 mg and that lasted me a month. For the Cytopoint injection I paid about $62 plus tax. So the difference between the two was really not that much. We are on week 3 right now and while there is still a little bit of paw licking, it is a lot less than it was on the Apoquel and the scratching has been almost non-existent. And like you, Jax could not go 1 day without a pill.

Hmmm, that's good to know. In addition to the Apoquel which she gets with her supper, she gets either 2 Benadryl or 2 Zyrtec in the morning because her eyes are always a goopy mess when she wakes up. Face rubbing and paw licking is better, but still can't leave her alone with rigs or carpet because she'll rub he,r face and chin until it bleeds. Within 3 days of her bath, she's like Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoon, phew weee :yuk:

Thinking I'll give her dermatologist a call and see what she says. It's only about an hour away. Keep your posted on the continuing saga of Sadie.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmm, that's good to know. In addition to the Apoquel which she gets with her supper, she gets either 2 Benadryl or 2 Zyrtec in the morning because her eyes are always a goopy mess when she wakes up. Face rubbing and paw licking is better, but still can't leave her alone with rigs or carpet because she'll rub he,r face and chin until it bleeds. Within 3 days of her bath, she's like Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoon, phew weee :yuk:

Thinking I'll give her dermatologist a call and see what she says. It's only about an hour away. Keep your posted on the continuing saga of Sadie.

Both the Cytopoint and Apoquel are based on weight but again, maybe the cost depends on the area you live in.

I was giving Jax a bath every week but with the Cytopoint, I think I can go every other week. I still wipe his pits and paws with a Duoxo wipe every couple of days. But so far the Cytopoint has been a big difference from the Apoquel. Plus the vet tech said I can just order the serum from them and they will send it to me and then I can do the injections at home.

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Both the Cytopoint and Apoquel are based on weight but again, maybe the cost depends on the area you live in.

I was giving Jax a bath every week but with the Cytopoint, I think I can go every other week. I still wipe his pits and paws with a Duoxo wipe every couple of days. But so far the Cytopoint has been a big difference from the Apoquel. Plus the vet tech said I can just order the serum from them and they will send it to me and then I can do the injections at home.

I think the dermatologist would let me do the injections as well because they let me do her weekly allergy shots

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the dermatologist would let me do the injections as well because they let me do her weekly allergy shots

Jax gets allergy shots every other week so I am totally comfortable doing them.

yumseyo

Jul 11, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Hi, where are you able to get 100 apoquel for $133.00? Thanks in advance...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Cost of Apoquel is based on your dogs weight. The area in which you live might have an affect on cost as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
It is based on weight. Sadie is 61lbs. I live in Florida and was paying almost twice that price at her dermatologist. My regular vet was much cheaper and that's where I get it now.

Members online

No members online now.