Cost of cytopoint vs Apoquel

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I'm just curious if anyone has an idea of the cost between the 2 meds? Sadie is currently on Apoquel 1.5 tablets @ 5.4mg daily. It's been a miracle for her allgeries and doesn't appear to give her side effects. Monthly cost is $133..which is fine but wondering if the shot would be cheaper in the long run without possible side effect of suppressing her immune system.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The Cytopoint shot is much safer and a bit cheaper. The injection runs 50-90.00 per shot as reported by various people here, and it needs to be repeated every 4-8 weeks.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The injection cost is based on weight, just like with Apoquel. My Frenchie is on Apoquel and just got his first injection yesterday so fingers crossed. I paid $58 a month for the Apoquel and the injection cost was $68. There was no scratching or paw licking at all yesterday after the shot. So we'll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
The injection cost is based on weight, just like with Apoquel. My Frenchie is on Apoquel and just got his first injection yesterday so fingers crossed. I paid $58 a month for the Apoquel and the injection cost was $68. There was no scratching or paw licking at all yesterday after the shot. So we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the info

- - - Updated - - -

The Cytopoint shot is much safer and a bit cheaper. The injection runs 50-90.00 per shot as reported by various people here, and it needs to be repeated every 4-8 weeks.

Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau got his third cytopoint shot yesterday.... no side effects and no crazy scratching since his first shot in April. 4 weeks is his limit as he starts scratching right before i take him for shot ( 2-3 days before). Costs has been $90

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Lambeau got his third cytopoint shot yesterday.... no side effects and no crazy scratching since his first shot in April. 4 weeks is his limit as he starts scratching right before i take him for shot ( 2-3 days before). Costs has been $90

Awesome..think I'm going to give it try. Sadies paw licking gets ridiculous..sometimes think it's her OCD but don't know

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome..think I'm going to give it try. Sadies paw licking gets ridiculous..sometimes think it's her OCD but don't know

Could be , but trying the shot will answer it. Lambeau is allergic to so much environmentally, i still wipe him down after being outside just hoping it helps a little bir more

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Could be , but trying the shot will answer it. Lambeau is allergic to so much environmentally, i still wipe him down after being outside just hoping it helps a little bir more

sadie is too..when we did the allergy testing, it was incredible how much she's allergic to...btw, I give her a weekly allergy shot that was mixed based on her allergy testing. Wonder if I'd continue that in addition to the cytopoint?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
sadie is too..when we did the allergy testing, it was incredible how much she's allergic to...btw, I give her a weekly allergy shot that was mixed based on her allergy testing. Wonder if I'd continue that in addition to the cytopoint?

So Jax gets biweekly allergy shots as well and when I took him for the Cytopoint, they said continue with them because the Cytopoint and Apoquel only relieve the itching.

Also, they said I don't have to bring him in each time for the injection, that I can order it and do them myself which I am fine with because I already do his allergy shots and I'm totally comfortable with it.

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
So Jax gets biweekly allergy shots as well and when I took him for the Cytopoint, they said continue with them because the Cytopoint and Apoquel only relieve the itching.

Also, they said I don't have to bring him in each time for the injection, that I can order it and do them myself which I am fine with because I already do his allergy shots and I'm totally comfortable with it.

More valuable info..thank you. Believe it or not Sadie doesn't act like this :hellno: When I give her the shot weekly. She's known for being obstinate. As we say around here, she's just being Sadie

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
IMG_0482.JPG
Example of just being "Sadie". This is her what you gonna do about it look.

OP
Florida girls

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
What a fantastic face !!! :rofl:

i think you mentioned one time that Banks was "Difficult". Maybe they are sisters from other mothers, lol. Sadies a big ole turd, but that's what makes her so funny

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
More valuable info..thank you. Believe it or not Sadie doesn't act like this :hellno: When I give her the shot weekly. She's known for being obstinate. As we say around here, she's just being Sadie

We distract Jax with treats when he gets his shots and it takes seconds. He doesn't even know he got a shot.

The last Apoquel Jax got was on Friday and so far the Cytopoint has been working really good because before, he couldn't go one day without a pill. So I guess the question will be how long the injection will last!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i think you mentioned one time that Banks was "Difficult". Maybe they are sisters from other mothers, lol. Sadies a big ole turd, but that's what makes her so funny

Yes, Banks was a challenge and that is what I miss most about her... pure attitude ❤️

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.